“Wonderful evening”

Truffles Restaurant @ Rookery Manor
Price range: US$26 - US$52
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: A true taste of the Kent countryside, just minutes away from the M25, Rowhill Grange’s Truffles Restaurant is a delight. The rambling old building, beautiful Victorian gardens and lush bedrooms are just the start of things at Rowhill. The real star of the show has got to be the AA recognised Truffles, the main eaterie of Executive Chef Richard Cameron. Part set in the antique conservatory overlooking the grounds, Truffles is a stunning compromise between old and new, mixing the character of the building with fresh, contemporary touches. The menu boasts the very best in fine dining offering an impressively packed menu of international and European inspiration plus the famous Truffles Sunday Lunch – an unmissable treat.
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
“Wonderful evening”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We had a five course tasting menu it was all delicious, the head waiter was wonderful he could not do enough for us we will be going back!

• Visited June 2014

weston-super-mare
“WILL NOT RETURN”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

Myself and eight friends went to Rookery Manor for our Christmas evening meal it was my first time there and believe me it will be my last. The food was served cold and not enough to go around, when asked to bring more it never arrived, we asked for coffee and was told they didn't serve coffee anyway after a lot of complaints coffee was served which was also cold and substandard. The only good thing of the evening was the group who played good music and the company, other than that I wish I had stayed at home.

• Visited December 2013
Burntwood, United Kingdom
“nice place”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

lovely place we were in the conservatory which is very grand. waiters were excellent silver service style, very helpful and attentive (even the trainee did fab) food was very nice and I did enjoy it but the oven chips were a bad choice home made ones would have been more on par with the surroundings tbh

Visited August 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 24 July 2011

I apologise for putting this review under the Truffles Restaurant page but I couldn't find a separate review page for the Rookery Bistro.
My husband and I visited Rookery Manor last night for a meal in the Bistro which I had been looking forward to for many weeks as we celebrating a special occasion and It was a surprise for my husband.
On arrival the setting was beautiful and the grounds immaculate. There was a wedding party which was lovely and we had a nice stroll from the car park to the restaurant through a partially covered walkway which was lovely, as it was a sunny evening, but I fear we would have arrived at the restaurant very wet, should it have been raining. We were shown to our table (by the waitress who was also covering the reception desk and was clearly overstretched) in a lovely conservatory room beautifully decorated with ceiling drapes and 2 beautiful chandelliers. The setting was pleasant and there were a few other couples already seated. A different waitress arrived to take our order. I had decided on soup of the day and asked what it was but she didn't know as she had just come from the wedding reception and was hot and bothered and her clothes were soiled. The poor girl, who had obviously already had a very long day ,went off to find out and came back to say that it was vegetable soup which I happily chose. My husband picked the mozarella with parma ham starter.
A plate of fresh bread rolls of varying types and a bowl of olives and another of olive oil was placed on the table as nibbles and we ordered a bottle of house white wine. I have never liked olives, even when abroad on holiday, but I did try one and they were lovely as was the bread which had been warmed nicely.
My soup arrived and it was a very deep bowl of very creamy something which had been blended to the point where there was no texture or taste. All I could taste was cream and a slight hint of pepper but certainly no vegetables. My husband enjoyed his salad and ate it all whereas I gave up on the soup after a few mouthfuls as it was so heavily laden with cream.
I had chosen an eight oz med rump steak for my main and my husband went for the guinea fowl. They were served by yet another waitress who put the plates down and hastilly disappeared before I had a chance to ask for mustard, dressings etc. The plates were cold and the steak was accompanied by 4 vine tomatoes, salad and chips. The chips, which were homecooked , were cold and soggy, the 'salad' was a few very dry leaves plonked on the plate with no dressing and the steak was well done and although tender in part was mostly full of gristle! My husbands' quinea fowl which was on a bed of green beans and fennel, with roasted new potaoes and gravy looked heartier but the fowl was dry and tasted like an overcooked chicken and the gravy disappeared long before he was half way through the meal. None of the staff were in the restaurant between serving and even when they served other tables they didn't look around or ask to see if there was anything they could get you and I couldn't catch their attention.
When the waitress came to clear away and my plate was still 3/4 uneaten, she did ask if everything had been alright, I told her no so she said she would pass on the comments but she didn't come back to me with any feedback from the chef or an apology.
Erring on the 'safe side' , I went for strawberries and ice cream for a sweet and my husband went for the raspberry cheesecake. The presentaion was lovely but we only had a dessert spoon with no dessert fork. Mine was presented in a champagne glass with the ice cream at the bottom and it was crowned with several strawberries sliced in half with all of the green stalks still attached which looked lovely but how was I supposed to eat it? The glass had not been served on a plate and there were no side plates or a knife to cut off the greenery so obviously the chef expected you to pick out he strawberries with your fingers but then what do you do with the green stalks? Put them on the table? Luckily the table next to us had side plates as it was already set for breakfast so I borrowed a plate and knife, had to remove all the stalks and then return a few at a time to the galss dish. Unfortunately the strawberries were quite bitter but as the waitress had retreated immediately, there was no opportunity to ask for caster sugar. The ice cream was lovely so at least I had something to eat! My husband 's cheesecake was lovely but without a fork, he too had to resort to using his fingers to hold it in place to cut throught he base so that it wouldn't fly off the plate!
To finish off our meal we were given luke warm coffee with cafe style little sachets of sugar and not even a wisp of a mint.
All in all, we were both very disappointed , (my husband rarely finds fault but even he felt we had not been given a good standard of service). Looking around at the other tables they too didn't seem too pleased with their fare as a lot was left on the plates and there wasn't much conversation going on. I feel the wedding reception was obviously taking priority and the waitresses were being pulled between the two. That however would have been understandable, had the quality of the food been on a par with the price we paid. We didn't leave a tip as we just felt very disappointed as our special evening was spoiled. Sadly, we would not recommend to any of our friends

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank ruthietosh
Bristol, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A venue like no other”
Reviewed 31 July 2010

I would highly recommend Rookery Manor for any event, it is a most welcoming establishment well run to a very high standard, extremely clean with beautiful decor, the staff are helpful and pleasant, the gardens and grounds are breathtaking with great attention to detail, whatever the occasion everything is done to perfection.

1 Thank LindaGodfrey