“Excellent Oper-Air Seaside Restaurant”
Review of Smiths Hotel

Smiths Hotel
Ranked #13 of 28 Hotels in Weston-super-Mare
Reviewed 21 July 2012

My Wife, Daughter and I visited Smith's Hotel open air restaurant in Weston Super Mare back in March of this year. The restaurant was fairly quiet as expected for the time of year. We ordered 3 lots of cod & chips which arived in good time and was cooked to perfection. We visited again today and had the same on the first day of the Summer season, on a hot sunny day when the restaurant was busy. Again, well presented, nicely cooked cod & chips which arived in good time.
WSM has a lot of good places to eat at lunch time but this has to be one of the best.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 July 2012

Great sea-front location
Staff polite
Breakfast decent
Rooms clean and tidy and bathrooms refurbished (note: bathrooms are quite small - my husband who is 6ft 2in found it quite a tight fit to use the toilet. Some bathrooms are still being refurbished so there is a bit of noise in the morning).
A little pricey albeit a pleasant stay.
Would stay again at the right price.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LisaJ99
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Stayed at the Smiths beachfront hotel with my girlfriend in Weston on friday night.

The location is excellent and although we couldn't park outside (limited to about 6 cars in reality) there was a long stay car park a few minute walk up the road which was only £5.50 for 24 hours so not the end of the world.

It's right on the beachfront literally a couple of minutes walk from the grand pier and in the middle of a wide selection of pubs/restaurants.

Didn't really have much interaction with the staff at the hotel as we went elsewhere for breakfast but the girl who checked us in was ok, not overly pleasant but this isn't something that bothers me in a hotel.. I'd rather staff don't pretend to be my friend in all honesty.

We paid £75 for a double room which actually had 2 double beds in. The room was clean and had everything we needed, basically a shower and a bed..

I couldn't get any hot water in the shower but the cold shower certainly woke me up for the drive home so not too bothered.

I've rated this as 5/5 because it suited us down to the ground.. If your the complaining type i'm sure you'd find fault but we simply couldn't!

If all you want is a clean, centrally located hotel this is it.. and if you like nice food there's a pub that does 2 for 1 meals a few doors up!

oh and a wetherspoons 2 minute walk the other way for cheap beer!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mbcwm88
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I could write a novel about the dreadful experience we had at this hotel but I honestly don't want to relive it! So in summary;
- stags who kept us awake until 5.30
- hen who was asleep on a mattress outside our room
- staff who ignored our calls for help when our door was being constantly banged on by abusive stags
- an owner who told me ' I don't care' when I said we would never return
- a room that was small and dingy

• Stayed: May 2012
6  Thank Louise D
Management response:Responded 23 June 2012

I was very upset to read this review. First of all, this guest was refunded in full because of her unfortunate experience during her stay at the Hotel.
We are not a 'Stag and Hen' Hotel, but this weekend we did not have our usual organised tours or family bookings - so this was left open 'on-line' to all bookings. It turned out that we received lots of individual bookings, which on arrival were 2 separate hen partys and one stag party. We do not encourage or advertise same sex parties at the Hotel, and each party were asked on arrival to keep the noise to a minimum and consider other guests. Because of this, management stayed till 3.30am and there was a Night Porter/Security person on duty all night. The Hotel is undergoing major refurbishments in line with our 3* rating, but unfortunately a couple of mattresses were left on the landing by mistake - it was not meant to be slept on, but after a phone call from the guest, this lady was escorted to her room and the mattresses removed in the morning.
The owner did not say he 'did not care' - we pride ourselves on our service etc and have been a family run Hotel since 1991, and have never experienced these types of booking before

Reviewed 6 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. It was a last minute booking so we knew we wouldnt be able to have a seaview room but the room was nice and clean bed was comfortable, nice crisp linen sheets. Bathroom was very small which I should imagine larger people would have difficulty with but it was adequate for us. Staff were very nice and hard working. My only complaint was the 'full english' one sausage,half a tomato,small piece of blackpudding,tiny piece of dried up bacon,overcooked scrambled egg and swimming in beans,I only ate the sausage!the next day I had contenental breakfast which was much better and the tea and coffee were nice. Overall I would stay here again (if they would have me after this review!) but give the breakfast a miss as there are plenty of cafes around that serve breakfast.

Room Tip: Front of the hotel rather than the back
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank welshcardiff1
Reviewed 27 May 2012

I've just returned from an amazing weekend away which was helped by staying at this hotel. The staff (except the lady who I think books people in) are so helpful and nice. I do think however they are made to clear people from tables as quick as possible. Great food menu for all the family. The room was adequate with it being very clean. Although it was very noisy. All in all a good hotel which should be 3 star in my opinion right on the beach.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Chris W
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Very pleased with the accommodation and service provided at Smiths Hotel. We recently stayed for 3 nights and thoroughly enjoyed our stay .Manager and staff were friendly and helpful from the moment we arrived to the moment we left and our family room was both comfortable and practical.Compliments to the Chef as the food was always tasty fresh and homecooked The balcony with sea view was a lovely way to start the day with a cuppa or end the day with a glass of wine and was definitely a bonus Will be booking again for a break next year.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family