“Restauarnt: Bad Experience. Never Again”
Review of The York Hotel

The York Hotel
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I would like to start off by saying I have never typed a bad comment on any public internet site about anything since I first used a computer, so for me to feel as though I need to post a negative comment says a lot.

Well in May my chap and I decided to eat at the York Hotel restaurant because it looked quite pleasant on the outside, the food sounded good and for novelty reasons (my surname is York). When we went in, the restaurant was pretty much empty. Wasn’t quite sure why because it looked smart and there was modern music playing in the background which I didn’t mind but my chap did. Anyways, I decided to treat myself to the £12.95 Chicken Masala (chicken breast in a creamy Masala sherry sauce). My chap had ordered the Chicken Tagliatelle.
Before food was served I took myself to the ladies. That’s where alarm bells started to ring. There was only one toilet. There was no loo roll, the big window was boarded up, the tiles were falling off the wall, the floor was dirty and because there was no loo roll people had been using the paper towels to wipe themselves and flushing them down the toilet, blocking the toilet hole. I went back to the table and said to my chap in a jokingly but serious kind away, “I hope the food is nothing like what I just saw in the ladies restroom”. Well it was.
Food was served. I had literally half a plate of very lumpy mashed potatoes, a mouth full of peas and a piece of chicken you could not see because it was buried under half a plate of a very think sauce. The sauce was disgusting. My chap had one mouthful of my sauce and spat it out straight away and took one big gulp of his drink. Ok I thought I will scrape away the sauce. What was hidden under the sauce was a horrifying piece of so called chicken. It looked more like a rubbery flat pork chop than chicken. I was soooo stupid because despite it looking and tasting horrible I ate as much as I could because I was hungry and just wanted to leave. Whilst waiting for my chap to finish, I was amazed when the couple next to us complained about their meal. They had the steak. The man asked for a partial refund and the waiter said “sorry I cannot do that”. The man was not very impressed. When the waiter went away the couple spoke to us about how they didn’t enjoy their meal and about the loos etc, then they left.
On our way out I remember telling my chap, ‘my tummy doesn’t feel very good’. His didn’t neither, and saw yet another couple complaining. This time I think it was something to do with the hotel. Can’t be sure. Well we hadn’t walked very far when I had to rush into a pub to use their loo. I had the D’s and the taste of the horrible sauce kept coming up my throat. My tummy felt awful and yes it was because of the meal. It kept me awake at night and I didn’t have much to eat the next day. It ruined what started off as a lovely weekend away. The one thing I soooo regret not doing is taking a photo of the meal and toilets. I just hope the above is enough to go by. I would love to see what the food and hygiene people would say about the food we ate. Thank you for reading.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debbie Y
Tina G, Manager at The York Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you for your review.
I was very concerned when i read your review & could not understand why you didn't complain to a member of staff & request another meal.? The meal would of been changed or replaced no problem at all.
The ladies toilet are going to be refurbished & extended that is why the window is boarded up.

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Where do I start!! Having spent a lovely bank holiday Monday,enjoying the weather and the beautiful pier (charge of £1 to enter)we decided to have lunch at The York Hotel. Having ordered 4 fish,chips,peas with bread and butter and tea,we waited and waited.Eventually we were served,two portions ok but the other two dreadful,one meal in particular looked as if it had been thrown on the plate,and we never did get the bread and butter the waitress said she would return with. Having complained to a waitress about two of the meals,she took them away,20 minutes later my brother and myself having eaten our meals,we were still waiting for the 2 replacement meals.I am afraid in the end we cancelled those meals,the Manager came to speak to us,telling us we should have gone to the bar and told her,wasn't it the job of our waitress to inform her that customers had complained?We paid for the 2 meals we had eaten,although in hindsight wish we hadn't as our lunch was ruined by having to go to another restaurant so two of us could finally eat. We wont be returning!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank margaret l

Thank you for your review.
I am sorry about your lunch & did come & speak to you on the day.
The young lady that served you it was her 1st day & although this is not a excuse i think she was overwhelmed with how busy we were that lunch time & forgot a few things.
I hope you come back & visit us again.,

Reviewed 21 April 2014

stayed for three nights as part of a coach party,so got B&B and EM at a good rate.Plus got the remote for free.Bedroom on third floor was clean and warm,but a bit small.Pidgeon muck on window and condersation between windows.Asked to upgrade to a sea front room,but said they did not do that,even though we offered to pay extra.Having said that,the front rooms are above the bar area and outside bar area,so could have a bit of noise at night.Food was fine and a good choice for the price we paid.It is a bit dated and you do pass the kitchen on your way to the small lift.All in all,a budget hotel with no real problems.But passing noise at night in the early hours,and as it was a bank holiday,could expect that,but were told that some hotels along the front do have problems with young groups at weekends.Weston is a old fashioned resort,and the hotel may have seen better days,but tried.Only a few complaints from others in our coach party,but most enjoyed their stay and not to fussy.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are best for the view,but above the bar and in front of the outside bar area,so m...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank happycoupleYorkshire

Thank you for your review.
We have coach groups every week & pride ourselves on the food & service the staff give.
The sea view rooms are used when requested & we do not charge any extra.
unfortunately the outside noise is out of my control.
The small kitchen you pass on way to lift is where we cater for all our teas & coffees.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

We spent 2 very comfortable nights at The York Hotel, very good service, friendly staff and manager. The food was excellent with a good selection from the menu, the breakfast was lovely.The hotel has outstanding views of the seafront and there is plenty to keep you entertained all within walking distance. We will be staying there again in the future.

Room Tip: No swimming pool or fitness centre
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Recently stayed here and for what I paid for a room you cant grumble at all. It was a nice spacious room and a nice size bathroom. We had breakfast there in the morning as well and that was good value for money. All in all a nice stay

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank spd69
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Myself, my husband and our son stayed for 2 nights at the hotel in one of the family rooms. From the outside the hotel looks lovely, if a little dated

We got given our keys to a family room, which was spacious but that's about it. Our chief concerns were:

1) Horrid mattress, could feel the springs every time you moved, coupled with a very unstable bed that creaked each time you moved in it

2) Window blind wouldn't close

3) Single bed duvet had ominous stains on it

4) Electrical socket detached from the wall

5 Toilet that made a hideous noise every time it flushed

6) Every time you moved in the room the floor boards squeaked

7) Peeling wallpaper

8) Comedy lift that felt more like an amusement ride

On the plus side the staff were great and the bar area modern and clean looking.

We enjoy staying in Weston, but in future, I think we will give this one a miss.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Gerrysgirl1999
Reviewed 11 April 2014

A random walkin on a friday afternoon and nothing was too much trouble. Requested a seaview room (extra charge but worth it) Room 103 must be the best in the hotel. Hotel owner very accommodating and helpful. Had to pay extra for car parking and TV remote but not a problem..... one must imagine that previous guests must have taken the remotes with them.
What a sad situation!
Menu was reasonably priced and service was excellent. Breakfast not inclusive but at £5:95 for starter and full english is good value.
Overall experience good value.

Room Tip: 103 family room as a double is very good. Assume 102 is similar.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple