The Grove Bistro
Price range: US$5 - US$24
Cuisines: European, Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Winner of Weston Super food Festival Best Restaurant 2013, voted by readers of the Weston Mercury.We offer a warm welcome and try our best to give quality service, excellent homecooked food at reasonable prices. If its a tasty lunch time meal, one of the many special offers that we run or our delightful ala carte evening menu the standards are the same. We offer a range of sandwiches, baguettes delicious home made soups and various lunches and on Wednesday through till Saturday evenings we offer a wide choice of quality food. We cater for gluten free diets, (our fish and chips are gluten free) Pop in before a visit to The Playhouse theatre and remember we do understand the needs of gluten free diets and will do what we can to accomodate you. The Grove Bistro's Sunday lunch is a real bargain with plenty of choice and all prepared freshly but booking is advisable.Certificate of Excellence 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 Winner The Grove Bistro
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We first happened upon this little gem in September and have been back many times since, both as a couple and taking friends and family. They have a music night once a month, which unfortunately, we were unable to go to last month due to them being fully booked, however, Jessica, one of the waitresses phoned me and advised due to popular demand, they were putting on an extra music night and would we like to go - now that's what I call service!.

We took my Mother In Law last weekend and she was amazed by the choice and standard of food and is constantly asking us when we are going to take her back there. 2 courses for £10.50. My husband and I both had chicken and steak combo and the steak melted in your mouth - fabulous. Portions were plentiful and Mother In law had to ask for a Doggie Bag as she couldn't manage it all but was reluctant to leave it on her plate.

We are booked again for the next 2 weeks - really looking forward to it.

2  Thank Beverley R

Reviewed 10 November 2013

Four of us had an evening meal. Food was excellent and good prices. They also have comfy sofa for having coffee or another after dinner drink. Only thing I can say is that the lighting could be softer for an evening.

Reviewed 7 November 2013

Since our first lunch here at the Grove Bistro was so very good, my wife and me decided to go a few weeks later but this time for a fish meal. On the menu was Cod fried in "Chef's" own batter mixture along with the usual chips and peas, followed by a very nice sweet of Apple pie and a drink of coffee.
I do so hate to have to give a downside, but both of us were so disappointed with the fish - a small portion compared to other restaurants and the chef's batter was akin to cardboard and fairly tasteless. I was wondering if it had been re-heated from the previous day, but I would expect not. We could not help overhearing comments from a couple at a nearby table who also complained about the fish and batter. So please Chef, make normal batter and keep away from too much experimentation. To be honest and precise about this. We are reluctant to return there again because of what we considered "a let down".
The waitress was excellent and thorough, some part way towards the end of the meal, a slip of paper was taken to each table that was occupied with a place for remarks and suggestions etc. I refused because I do write reviews. Another customer said "I'm sorry but we had to complain if it is not to our liking and were sorry to need say that".
This meal aside which must have been met with the same opinions could well be remedied by this time.
Would I recommend: Yes!! but check the fish meals. Chefs own recipes are good and we do enjoy the sweets and his soups. If you look back down the list of reviews you will see that our first experiences were really very good.. For this occasion though I can only give a 3 star.

ILOVEMYFOOD

1  Thank John B
The-Grove B, Owner at The Grove Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review The Grove Bistro, I am obviously disappointed that your last visit left you feeling let down. I find it hard to believe that as you said the waitress was thorough and she also offered a comment card we were unable to pick up the problem on the day, which by the way must of been back in early September as we only ran the comment cards for a short while. Perhaps you should of filled in the card or at least mentioned your grievances to the waitress ON THE DAY. As you say you write food reviews I would of thought you should know the importance of complaining when something is wrong and giving someone the chance to put things right, you also say you overheard people on a nearby table, can you tell us if they complained to the waitress and were refunded their meal, or was it replaced, were they delt with properly something you seem to of overlooked. The fish portion is the same size we have always used without any complaints, other restaurants may use bigger portions, perhaps they charge more for these bigger portions did you mention that? As a food critic I would assume your taste buds are in good order, but you were not able to pick up anything from the batter, strange as it contains lemon juice and tarragon as well as a little seasoning. Your plea for me to stop experimenting falls on deaf ears as this batter IS the same batter mix I have used for the time I've run The Grove Bistro, with many compliments may I add.
I am amazed that if you and your wife both felt so strongly you failed to complain and it has taken over ten weeks to post this review. I have gone through the comment cards that we used and not one of them complains about the portion size or quality of the cod or the batter You said the batter was akin to cardboard yet still you declined to complain on the day I'm sorry but after all this time the is very little I can do about this. If you would like to pop in and see us I can show you comment cards that say how good the fish is and what good value it represents the whole idea of comment cards were to find out what people liked or disliked I can't understand why after your experience you wasted a chance to voice your opinion that could of been acted on, but instead wait over ten weeks to post a review on tripadvisor. As a food critic, that writes reviews I would also think when writing in the future you should consider my wife and I is better English than my wife and me, which is what you used in this review, perhaps that's just me wanting to get things right.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

i have been here a few times for lunch and food is not bad but not that great its i would say average nothing special but not bad at all i don't know if i make sense, but thats how i feel every time i come here but i do recommend you give it a visit to see for your self service is nice great people working there.

1  Thank jessica m
The-Grove B, Owner at The Grove Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 5 November 2013

Thank you for reviewing The Grove Bistro. I would like to ask what you had to eat on your visits to The Grove, we have a wide ranging menu and some things are difficult to make exciting if for example you had a cheese sandwich it is not hard to class this as average, the cheese would be tasty, bread fresh served with a fresh salad garnish and homemade coleslaw but still not the most exciting dish in the world, same with soup although home made hot and tasty served with a nice hot baguette its still soup. I take average as not good enough we try to be better than average in all things we do. Lunch time gives problems when people usually want their food as quick as possible but average is not our standard. I note from your 6 reviews on tripadvisor you have awarded 4 averages, one to ourselves for food that is "not bad", one for Pappa's whose fish and chips you thought where great, but marked it average, one to an Indian restaurant whose dishes tasted of curry and one for Yoji whose salmon you said was overcooked and salty.

La Cucina how ever have faired better with your 2 excellent reviews, detailing the meals you had very well and on both times mentioning the fact the dishwasher could be made redundant. I'm sure that you enjoyed your visits there and I am glad that my friend Dimitri's other restaurant is doing well, I do find it difficult to accept that a review such as the one you gave us can be taken seriously without knowing what you had to eat, you marked the value as 4, atmosphere 4 and service 4 and the food as 3, 15 out of a possible 20 is not a bad review, not brilliant, but please review all of us in the same way you reviewed La Cucina if the food IS average tell us why you think that, tell us what you had, please don't be so vague.

As mentioned on here before I take tripadvisor seriously, a vague comment can do so much damage, but can't be acted on. Please give us a chance to make improvements by giving details, after all we only get better by putting the wrong things right.

Reviewed 28 October 2013

Great Restaurant
Great Chef producing great food
Great staff with great service
A GREAT visit
After at the meal, it was a nice touch to have a chat with the `chef and staff. Couldn't be a more friendlier place

Great review, many thanks.