“Excellent value”
Review of Abingdon House

Abingdon House
Abingdon House
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Greeted with a warm welcome. Room was nice and comfy and easy parking at the front. I stayed 2 nights, and the room and bathroom were cleaned when I was out. If you're looking for a basic place to stay but with friendly service, then this hotel fits the bill. I didn't book breakfast so can't comment on the food.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Martin B

Reviewed 26 May 2013

Clean, comfy - great nights sleep.
Walkable from town centre, so taxi not essential.
Easy to book online - paid in advance.
Friendly welcome from owner.
Didn't have breakfast so not able to review.
Would visit again.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

Very lovely hosts. The man who greeted us seemed lovely, aswell as the lady when we left! Room looked fine, very clean. Bed is so uncomfy though, by the far the worst mattress I've slept on!! Shower was absolutely awful, was clearly broke had water squirting out of everywhere then it decided not to work nor our taps! Only takes 15minutes to get to the beach so good location.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed 12 April 2013

Elaine was a great host. Fantastic value for money. Stayed on 6 and 7 April. Will defo be staying again. Great breakfast and shower excellent. Beds comfortable. Location is about 15 minute walk to seafront but that's fine because of the price compared to other guest houses nearer the front. Rooms clean and tidy. I had the single room and my mate had the double.. we tossed a coin I lost.. however we were both happy. Stuart.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank stupot1093
Reviewed 12 November 2012

Went here with an open mind due to the variable comments so far for this guest house. When we arrived (early), the Host was very welcoming, and allowed us to go straight to our rooms. There were 4 of us, sleeping in two rooms with 2 single beds in each. The rooms themselves were big enough, both had en suite facilities and were clean, so far so good. We went out for the night, returning for sleep around 1pm. Again no problems there, keys are given to you to come and go as you please basis. Now the beds !! Whilst absolutely no problems with cleanliness of the sheets and pillowcases, bedding down for the night was most definitely lacking. Personally, I could not get comfortable on the hard bed, tossing and turning all night no matter what I tried to get settled. The duvet was lovely and thick, and the pillows soft, it was just the mattress, it was SO HARD. I thought it was probably just me, but when speaking to the other 3 members of our group, all had the same comment, that the beds were very uncomfortable.
I cant say it spoilt our stay, but suffice to say, just due to the beds, we will not be staying here again, even at the very reasonable cost for the stay, sorry¬

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I booked a twin room at the Abingdon for one night on a working trip. I was unsure what to expect at such reasonable prices and was very pleasantly surprised. The furniture is a bit dated but it was spotlessly clean. The bed was comfortable and my room had all the facilities I would want (kettle, en-suiite shower, TV, towels etc). The owner was very friendly and gave me such a warm welcome despite the fact that I arrived quite late. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Reading other reviews on here i must have had the worst room in the hotel The furniture was outdated and old and the first thing i had to do was get the sheets changed because they had urine stains on them .The glass on the sink was filthy and there was never anyone in the hotel to see even when i went home i had to leave the key on the door ledge because there was never anyone about so i would rather pay that bit extra and find another hotel next time i am around there

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
ravageagain, Owner at Abingdon House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

I was not shocked to read this guests negative review as from the minute he stepped foot in the house, he wasn't happy. We are nothing but warm & welcoming to ALL of our guests & pride ourselves on the cleanliness of our guest house, in response to the "urine stained sheets" they are all actually BLUE TIE-DYED with not a stain in sight!! That said we changed the sheets regardless as we want all our guests to feel comfortable & happy in their room, as for the "dirty glass" they are plastic frosted tumblers used for storing toothbrush etc. My wife was really upset reading this review as it is very misleading, I urge people to read all the reviews before booking as we hold a current average rating of 4.3 out of 5 with many scoring us 5 out of 5. So we must be doing something right! We don't profess to be a 5* hotel as our prices of £18. clearly reflects, but I would also like to still think our guests are getting good value for money. I am all for constructive criticism, but comments like this couldn't be further from the truth.
I wouldn't normally comment on a review, because I think everybody is entitled to their own opinion, but I couldn't let this slide as it was so upsetting.