We, that is myself, wife and Grand Daughter, have just returned from our 6th visit so feel entitled to give a balanced review.
Shearings presumably make the big policy decisions and the staff compensate for their mistakes.
Shearings call this a superior Hotel and assume that creaking floors and problems in some rooms with the decor will be accepted as part of the Victorian appeal. But they have decided to stop the Bingo ( too down market ?) which my wife and Grand Daughter enjoyed and the entertainment is very limited.. They presumably consider that in the dining room table cloths are not required and identical plastic daisies on every table accompanied by a paper serviette are OK for their package tour clients.The food is very good value but every course has a list of expensive alternates e.g Steak £9.99. The bar area has all the charm of a work's canteen and the furniture in the reception area is very poor quality apart from the Grand Pianola.
So why do we keep going ?
The hotel is perfectly situated and has a more than adequate car park. The sea views are marvellous (though Shearings apply eye-watering supplements). But the main reason we go back is that the staff are as old fashioned in their attitude as the Hotel itself which means thay go out of their way to make sure the guests enjoy themselves.The reviewer who complained about the receptionist must have been in the wrong Hotel.
Unfortunately I wouldn't recommend this hotel to a friend because they, unlike us, might not be prepared to ignore the problems.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At the Grand Atlantic Hotel you’ll find a magnificent turreted period property typical of the historic resort of Weston-super-Mare. The hotel stands in an excellent position on the town’s seafront, just a stone’s throw from a safe sandy beach. As well as its proximity to the town, the Grand Atlantic Hotel makes an excellent base from which to explore the West Country. The Hotel houses all of the amenities and facilities you would expect from a Coast and Country venue. In addition, our staff will offer you a warm, friendly welcome, and ensure that your stay is as relaxing and memorable as possible. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Ebookers so you can book your The Grand Atlantic Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Atlantic Weston Super Mare
- Grand Atlantic Hotel Weston Super Mare
- Hotel Grand Atlantic