“Christmas Family Getaway”

and 1 more site!
The Sandringham Hotel
Ranked #18 of 28 Hotels in Weston-super-Mare
Reviewed 5 December 2011

Well what can I say about the Sandringham Hotel.
We have just got back from a fabulous family weekend in Weston Super Mare .There were 17 of us all of various ages from 17-70+ and we have all had a lovely time .Yes the decor is a little dated and tired but work is ongoing to update and refurbish the hotel .Everywhere was spottlessly clean and all the staff were second to non. We were looked after by Jackie in the dining room and nothing was to much trouble .The food was of a good standard and every day there was a choice of 3 starters ,4 mains and several puddings .Our room was quite small but we hadn't come away to spend all day in our room .The bed was very comfortable and clean.There are quite a few steps to negotiate but a lift to all floors is available to take you to your room.Dont be put off by negetive comments this is not a 5* hotel but you get 5* service and at £33 per person for dinner bed and breakfast its brilliant value form money .We will deffinatly be returning .The hotel was full this weekend and most were returning guests which speaks volumes

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank jonesl757

Reviewed 29 November 2011

Centrally Situated Oposite Pier, Inside & outside needs a lot of work doing to it.

Room Tip: Can't Help
2  Thank Roger H
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We booked this hotel for a party of 18 friends to celebrate christmas. The rooms were outdated and looked generally grubby. The sink was in the bedroom which I feel is very unhygeinic. Some members of our party had a oven, fridge, microwave & a sofa in the room not very pleasing on the eye when staying overnight with a evening meal included. The sofa had grease marks on the back of the sofa from the shear ammount of heads that had leaned on it, we couldn't sit on it!! One of our party had wet towels left on the radiator drying from the previous guests!! There were members of our group who were too afraid to shower in fear of catching something maybe Legionaires disease from the poor standard of hygeine in the bathrooms.

The evening meal was pre-booked for us through a local travel company, the tables had festive crackers etc but we were all split up and could not eat together. We had 2 vegetarians in our group and we had advised the hotel of this. When it came to ordering our festive dinner there was no vegetarian option, so we asked the not so helpful staff, all the waitress could say (and abruptly) was that they hadn't been told, this might be the case but she could have handled the situation a lot better. The vegetarians were told they could have a salad!! A salad for a festive meal?? When we asked about V breakfast for the next morning we were told they could just push the bacon and sausage aside!!!!!!
I think I would compare this hotel to Faulty Towers, stay at your peril.

Overall a very disappointing experience, with staff that need some tuition on customer care!!

Room Tip: Go down the road and find another hotel
1  Thank Cardiffladies
MrsPerrett, Manager at The Sandringham Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2011

We take guest satisfaction and customer service very seriously at The Sandringham Hotel, and it is rare to encounter an unhappy customer – let alone a group. Naturally, we shall be taking this feedback on board and amending operating procedures accordingly, but we would like to clarify a few points from this review.

As this review identified several key areas of dissatisfaction, we contacted the coach company in order to liaise with the guests concerned. After contacting the party involved, it transpired that none of the 18 guests concerned had any concerns with the quality of their stay, and did not post a review. Nevertheless, we will address the points made.

Whilst some of our rooms do in fact have sinks in the bedrooms, the vast majority of our accommodation has in fact been renovated – with the bedroom sinks moved. Like the rest of the room, the sinks are regularly cleaned, and we can assure you they are perfectly sanitary. As the booking was a ‘one-night stop-off’ via a coach company, and the hotel was at full capacity, some of our fully-equipped holiday flats were used as rooms. This was to ensure that all the guests had their preferred room type. We trust the presence of cooking appliances and a kitchenette did not in any way negatively affect your stay, and apologise if this was the case.

As an award-winning hotel, we naturally have very high standards when it comes to room cleanliness, and all of our cleaning staff do an excellent job of ensuring customers are greeted by a clean room. This includes regular spot-checks. As a result it is unthinkable that wet towels would have been left in the room from the previous guests, as – of course – all the bed linen and towels are changed between guests without fail. Similarly, we take room and bathroom hygiene very seriously, and ensure that all our bathrooms are spotless for our guests - leaving no danger of ‘catching [any]thing’. It is this attention to detail regarding cleanliness – which applies across the business - that has seen our Hotel rated five stars for Food Hygiene by the local council. On a similar subject, the Hotel has been checked for Legionella in accordance with local government guidelines, and was found to be completely free of any traces.

Regarding Dinner and seating arrangements, our dining room staff do their best to ensure that parties can eat together, but we hope you understand that any full-capacity hotel or restaurant would struggle to organise an 18-place table at short notice. Regarding the administrative mix-up that left the dining room staff unaware of any special dietary requirements, we apologised profusely to the guests concerned at the time.

In short, we always take feedback on board – both positive and (when it does surface) negative – but it would be unfair to leave this review without clarification, because – as hundreds of satisfied customers will no-doubt testify – we pride ourselves on customer service, cleanliness and the quality of our catering.

Reviewed 25 November 2011

We had booked through travelstyle on an allocated late deal - think it's something like Pricebuster - but anyway we got a great deal at 90 pounds per person which included coach from Sheffield to Weston along with a full day trip to Bath and another trip next day which took in Cheddar Gorge and Wells.

There were 12 people in our party and I can speak for everyone of us when I say we had a fantastic time.

We stayed for three nights and for myself and my partner I can say that the room was lovely and the rest of the party were happy with theirs from what they said.
All the staff were lovely and we were looked after in the dining room by Cameron who was a lovely lad (look for the star Cameron)LOL. The food was always lovely and hot and a choice of menu at all meals. We had a good time in the bar which was lovely - comfortable and like the rest of the hotel decorarted very festively. Again staff in here were lovely and no member of staff could be faulted. The hotel is very close to pier, shops, bars evereything you could need.
Many thanks to the staff for making the Sheffielders so welcome.

Do not hesitate to book and anyone who does we just hope you enjoy it as much as we all did.

Room Tip: Room 7 on the second floor was lovely - near lift - just fine.
1  Thank rodfangill
Reviewed 21 November 2011

This hotel was booked for a 3 day stay.

I was shocked when I saw the photos on this site. I decided to go ahead but leave asap if I not happy. A couple was leaving the hotel as I was about to check in and I said "what is it like here" they said it is absolutely wonderful, lovely and friendly, clean and the food is excellent. I thought l I shall see about that (have to say I am a fussy person).

The receptionist came out all smiles and chatted. She gave me the keys and even gave me a choice of rooms! to be honest, both lovely rooms but one on the ground floor so I took this one. This room was massive and the bathroom was spotless, the shower was a power one and I wish my bathroom at home was as nice as the one I had there.

Next morning I was greeted by the lovely cheery waitress called Karen, what a pleasure she was to talk to in the morning. I stupidly asked for the Continental breakfast when I meant English and was confused when she brought me fruit and crossants. I said sorry and I would have that instead but she insisted on bringing me what I had meant to say in the first place. Karen was still smiling and chatting and really nothing was too much trouble for her.

If you would like to stay in a lovely family run hotel that is clean, convenient, friendly (I would not mind staying here on my own if I had to) and great food then pick this one to stay in. I am just over 50 so not very old but remember years ago when hotels you would stay in would make you feel good and feel that they really cared about their customers and that is the ethos of the Sandringham.

I did ask about the photos on this site but they said it was during refurbishment and it was a good deal the customers had. Actually I paid the full price and to be honest, it was a great deal. Well done Sandringham and see you soon.

Room Tip: Dont take notice of all reviews and pics but see for yourself.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank eileen m
Reviewed 12 November 2011

i was disapointed in my room as was not used to having sink in room when sharing. thought the decor was not up to scratch. and lifts were poor and old fashioned.the meals was good and had a lovely waitress called karen who could not do enough for us.but the rest of the staff i found not so friendly. I dont think i would stay there again

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Joan C
Reviewed 27 September 2011

We have just come back from a 1 night stay at the Sandringham, very few hotels offer 1 night bookings on a Saturday but the Sandringham do, our room was lovely with a fabulous view of the promenade and the pier (room 22). The staff were very friendly and helpful, the breakfast was tasty, plentiful and nice and hot. The bar area is very pleasant and drinks reasonably priced, the location of the hotel is superb and cannot be beaten in my opinion, the room rate of £65 was excellent value for money, we will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple