“We liked it will will go back”
Review of Dauncey's Hotel

Dauncey's Hotel
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Weston-super-Mare
Reviewed 15 August 2011

I had read quite a few reviews about this hotel and they varied greatly. In fact we nearly got put off by the negative reviews. I am gald I ignored these We had a very, from answering the phone to serving in the bar. Excellent service.
The room although facing the road was quiet we slept with the window open all night. Although the room is basic it had recently had a coat of paint and the bathroom had been updated. Yes there were a lot of elderly people there but we are heading for 60 ourselves. I would rather be amongst older people than having to listen to loud music. So if you are looking for an ordinary no fuss quiet hotel with good staff and a beautiful view across the water from the bar balcony look no further. This end of Weston is away from the main area so if you want quiet this end is best.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank moirabristol

Reviewed 4 July 2011

Have just returned from 5day trip booked with Grand UK Holidays. Found the hotel standard for 2/3 star. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, our room was over looking the sea and although not large was big enough for two. The choice of food for breakfast and dinner was varied and always served piping hot. The decor in the hotel was dated but clean, beds were comfortable, the only problem we had was there was no shower in the bathroom but had we requested this on booking we were told they would have made sure we had a room with shower. The position of the hotel is ideal, not too far from the town near a bus stop but free from traffic noise. If travelling by car there could be a parking problem. Please do not judge this hotel by some of the reviews that have been written as in my opinion there is no pleasing some people!!

Room Tip: Always make your requests known when booking.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank mary_83_11
Reviewed 20 June 2011

I stayed here june 2011, I wasnt informed of our seafront room unpon booking and was extremely surprised at the sheer expanse of sea surrounding our view. We also had a terrace, which was actually part of the restaurant garden, `but this didnt other us at all as we didnt see one person in the area. So close to the sea that a wave splash actually got me whilst standing on the terrace. I found the hotel facilities basic and our room had no heating, but that proved no problem as it was a warm weekend. the bed was moderatley comfortable. The bar was very cheap for a hotel, and the bar staff were the friendiest ive ever met. The pool table mechanism was broken so the pool was free. It had a shabby chic appeal to me and my girlfriend who just appreciated the pool was free! Overall the hotel is definately worth another visit but ONLY if we got another sea view room with a terrace again, otherwise I would choose to stay closer to the grand pier area.

Room Tip: get room 1 or 2 if you are a smoker for a terrace.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank liggie1986
Reviewed 6 June 2011

This hotel is screaming to be cleaned and up-dated. Such a shame as it has a good outlook and an attractive building, the staff are lovely and make you very welcome.
The carpets are stained and old. The furniture is marked and needs a good clean, but is mainly cheap and needs replacing. The room was very small and the bed small, old and lumpy. The shower room had a small shower with the tatty'est shower curtain I have ever seen. There is dirt and dust clogged up every corner of the rooms.

Room Tip: Look at the room before you agree to stay
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank LondonAstrid
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Shabby looking to start with,and horrible stench off carpet throughout the stair carpet.Nice sea view from room to be fair.Awfull stained carpet in bedroom,mismatched bathroom towels,no remote for tv,lift not working,promised wi fi not working in hotel,breakfast greasy and unedible. Beleive it all not when we asked what the chefs special was with the breakfast they said oh hes doing BEANS today!..... Anyway as you can see we had a pretty bad experiance on our 2 night stay.Shame because the actuall building is loverly .

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ukmatt01
Reviewed 23 May 2011

This hotel really isn't up to standard in any way. The food was very poor. I ordered salmon one night for my main course and it was grey in colour and so was the cauliflower that went with it. I did send it back and opted for roast pork instead. The breakfast was mostly cold. I did send it back one morning and when I told the waitress this was cold she replied "well it should be hot"!! I replied, "yes of course it should be hot, that's why I am sending it back"!!
The carpets were worn and dirty and the lift only held 2 people with a bag each, so totally inadequate for anyone who is disabled.
The highlight of my week was the Saturday when I came home.
I notice that the Manager doesn't respond to any of the reviews posted on this website, unlike other hotels I have recently looked at. Therefore, it says it all!!! Don't expect any improvements within the foreseeable future.

• Stayed: May 2011
5  Thank lin076
Reviewed 29 April 2011

its a case of you get what you pay for in this 2 star hotel, we couldnt fault the staff they were wonderfull,The beds well i wanted to sleep on the floor less springs digging in us, the shower/bathroom needed a spring clean, states free wifi but no signal anywhere,food was basic even the ants liked it when crawling over the table,the room we had did have great sea veiws the entertainment well could have been better, very creaky floor boards in all rooms above and below, would we stay again, Hum maybe our stay was short just arrived home friday 29th

Room Tip: ask for well done toast,
  • Stayed: April 2011