“Perfect Location”
Review of Dauncey's Hotel

Dauncey's Hotel
Ranked #28 of 28 Hotels in Weston-super-Mare
Reviewed 8 May 2012

My boyfriend and I booked into Daunceys for a weekend break, staying the Saturday night. We arrived at lunch on Saturday and went to find the hotel. It is to the northerly end of the beaches and centre of town and in a quiet location. The lack of parking was a bit annoying, but we found a free place to park on an adjacent street which was fine. We received a very friendly welcome, and having arrived too early to check in, opted to have a drink and sit on the terrace until our room was ready.

The beer was good, and the hotel terrace was literally right on the seas edge. The view was great and the terrace a bit of a sun trap. The manager came and found us quite quickly and allowed us to check in early as our room was ready.

We were on the top floor and had a lovely sea view. Being a wonderful Victorian building, there were a series of stairs and lifts available to us, although he didn't fancy braving the "old fashioned" lift with it's double manual sliding doors.

The room was large, with an excellent view. Sadly the decor was very dated and a bit shabby, the furniture was flat pack, and the wardrobe wobbled abit, however the room was very clean (and in fact much cleaner than some "better" hotels that I have stayed in - and paid more money for).

The bed was very comfortable, and I was really impressed with the crisp white fresh bed linen, and quality fluffy white towels.

I thought that the hotel ideally suited for our break. We went into Weston on Saturday night, and "partied" and Daunceys was an easy walk back, but far enough away from the centre to enjoy a very quiet, peaceful nights sleep.

On the weekend we were there were quite a few groups staying, and the bar was full of groups and couples enjoying a late night drink. This gave the place a bit of atmosphere and we had a late drink when we got back. I would imagine that it could have been a bit quiet otherwise, although there was a "games room" off the bar with a pool table etc.

I would definitely visit again, and hope that over time Grand Hotels UK spend a little to bring the rooms back into the 21st Century.

Friendly nice staff, great views, clean, comfortable beds, lovely location, but needs an update!

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank C P

Reviewed 7 May 2012

60 Shipmates & Guests 'all over 60' spent a very enjoyable weekend at this venue. This venue is amongst the top ones we have mustered in over the past 15 years. Although Parking was 'flaged up' beforehand as a problem 'my main complaint to the manager was that I was 2 spaces from the Entrance & not directly outside', he responded that he would 'try better' next time. The rooms were spacious & clean & most of the Bathrooms now appear to have non carpet flooring. The entermainment provided was at the right level for us Oldies. We all appreciated the 'CAN DO & WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN' attitude of the Manager & his Staff. All meals were well presented & Eatable & enjoyed by all. The sea view from all Public rooms, the Prom Deck & most of the Bedrooms was much enjoyed by us 'Old Salts' & it was a change not to be on it.

Room Tip: go for the higher level sea view rooms as lower down can obstruct the view although basement gave ac...
Reviewed 19 April 2012

Stayed in this seaside hotel on my way to Cornwall. The price ( £65 B&B for 2 with a sea view) was about right for what you get. It is a typical Seaside hotel built in Victorian times showing its age. The room was small but clean and the sheets too. The bathroom had a shower where you have to run around to get wet. We had dinner there in the evening for which you had to reserve a table, We did not reserve but they fitted us in . It is a hotel where everyone eats at the same time. The food was very good and the service very good too. Good value for money.

Room Tip: Be sure to get there early as it is on street parking.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ourkidd
Reviewed 15 April 2012

I would rate this hotel, good. The hotel needs updating but the location, staff and facilities were very good.The food was adequate but plentiful.Iwas concerned after reading the reviews,but this is a 2 star hotel! and had no smells.

Room Tip: We had room 2.Small room and no bath but door out onto a terrace with fabulous views.
2  Thank maggie88
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Have stayed at this hotel a few times, pleased to see new bed linen and towels.Room was clean but in need of updating.A great place to stay for views and convenience to town centre.
The public areas are very poor,in desperate need of updating, could be amazing with the views and lovely outside seating area. Breakfast was o.k.cooked breakfast was adequate.
Good value for money...which is why I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Request sea view ,but rooms on the road side are not noisy in my experience.
2  Thank Diana S
Reviewed 1 April 2012

I was taken aback by the previous reviewer's crass and disparaging remarks ('old dears', stale urine and rats!) and hope my review will be regarded as objective. I stayed three days courtesy of Leisuretime (Cardiff) and, although I have some issues with the quality of the food, on the whole my stay was quite pleasant. My room, on ground level due to my disability was spacious with a decent double bed, plenty of bathroom space, a rather antique tv and the usual tea/coffee making facilites. It also had a glorious view of the Bristol Channel with Steep Holm an d Flat Holm visible in the distance. The Breakfasts were adequate whilst the main courses of the evening meals were disappointing. I felt the fish on the Friday night was rather soggy whilst the moussaka served on the Saturday evening. (served with side dishes of b oiled potatoes, swede and cauli!!) was barely edible. Also the waiting service on the Friday was painfully slow although I later learned that there were problems with the kitchen equipment. The lounge areas were quite convivial whilst the bar prices were reasonable. I have to say that the staff were friendly and helpful. Despite my comments about the food I would stay in the Daunceys Hotel again as, on the whole, it was a value-for-money experience

Room Tip: Room 10 on the ground level for its stunning views
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank PaddersCardiff
Reviewed 17 March 2012

If youre not on a coach trip with old dears avoid like the plague. The first thing i noticed was the smell. That old people and urine smell you get in retirement homes. The room was taller than wide, no double glazing, no remote for 10" tv, floor lino on the desk that was peeling, no wifi, paint and plaster peeling off the ceiling, woodchip wallpaper, no shower curtain or tiles so had to sit in bath, bathroom stank of smoke, balcony looked unsafe and didnt venture out. Worse than the worst student accommodation. No parking. Not very clean. rats seen aound building. Not happy. Never going back. Only plus were the reception staff. As ive said. Avoid, avoid, avoid!!!!

• Stayed: March 2012