“haunted hotel”

Ranked #27 of 28 Hotels in Weston-super-Mare
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“haunted hotel”
Reviewed 30 August 2013

me and my family stayed for five days with a coach company,it not a, seaside hotel ,its a good 30 minute walk into town though the brochure says 15,its awkward to get to if like my wife your on crutches,the hotel has seen better days but it was clean and the food was good,the staff are friendly and helpful,the T V never worked properly all the time we where there,a game of pool was 20p which kept our granddaughter happy,my wife say the shadow of someones feet pass our door in the early hours one night she assumed it was the night porter checking the landings, as we where on the end of a landing and no one needed to pass our door,she mentioned it to the night porter who said he hadn,t been near our room,but there had been sightings of an old man who disappeared into midair!the lift is Victorian I think! the room we had 300 had good views but if the lift isn,t shut properly you can be stuck for a while!

Room Tip: rooms at the back are best
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Ian G
Gemma A, Manager at Dauncey's Hotel, responded to this review, 26 September 2013
Many thanks for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
San Francisco
Reviewed 30 August 2013

I rang up as I'd booked. Room for 2 nights
I wanted to check that I'd got a room with a balcony I hadn't
X
It was a small room with a small balcony the only downside is that it's shared but we got a corner and wasn't disturbed
Except they did put us beside a group of cackling girls who were very noise when getting in
The room was basic but clean and comfy
I met a lovely scots man down at reception to ask for extra coffee he couldn't have been nicer lots of coffee and plenty of milk to see us through

The food was fine basic with little choice and also organised but rushed staff I didn't feel them to be friendly but they wernt rude
I'd definitely come back again
Just my advice would be to expect rooms to be basic and not fancy
I pad £90 a night I think £65 would be more realistic price to pay
But thank you to the Scotsman and Simon

3 Thank Spysgirl
Thank you for your constructive feedback, following your stay with us recently.

We agree that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided.

We certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Gloucester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Just back from 2nights at this hotel rooms clean ,staff pleasant and polite ,hotel a bit dated and in need of some TLC but otherwise a peace full and pleasant stay in a lovely location , room 105 was good with a balcony small door to it but managed with no problem.my only critisism is minor but found the breakfast on the small side ,overall a pleasant stay and would have no problem returning here .

1 Thank ademags
Thank you for your recent review of your stay with us recently.

Your feedback is valuable to us and we do hope that you will be able to stay with us again at some point in the future.

Many thanks
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We stayed 2 nights
On arrival we were greated by a friendly chap and pointed to our room
Was a little difficult to find ,when entering the room we were shocked by the wood chip magnolia paintwork ,very bland and basic
We were fortunate though to have a room with a balcony though very narrow ,you also need to watch were your going as you can easily trip and go over the low balcony rails I would not have a child go out there ,thought the views were outstanding ,that is what your paying for £80 a night is far to steep for a very dated hotel also you have banging neighbouring doors and the toilet refuel system was very load from the next room that it woke me when noises from next door guests came in
O
Breakfast ends at 9 30 so if you want a long lay in forget it
We were late down 9 .15 and was refused extra toast as it was 9,50
There's was no friendly service they seemed to want you to be in and out quick
No porridge offered and basic fry up yucky herb sausages
I won't come back in fact if I could I'd ask for a refund

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Steve C
Gemma A, Manager at Dauncey's Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your constructive feedback, following your recent stay with us.

It was disappointing to hear that the hotel did not meet with your expectations on this occasion. Your feedback is extremely important to us and we really do value your custom as such I offer my sincere apologies for any inconvenience that you may have suffered during your stay.

We are aware that there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel and this forms part of a rolling maintenance programme. Your comments have been noted, and a review of whether any more immediate improvements can be made is currently being discussed.

Once again thank you for your comments and please be assured that I have taken them on board.

With Kind Regards

Travellers are raving about these Weston-super-Mare hotels

Reviewed 18 August 2013

Staff are very friendly and rooms are very clean. Beds are very hard. The shower is a waste of time it took me half an hour, the water just trickles out and has no power at all. I like to support local hotels but in this case I wish I had chosen premier inn, too me the most important thing is the shower and bed. I feel I have wasted £80. If you are paying more then premier inn then it should be better

1 Thank Davidgrant321
Gemma A, Manager at Dauncey's Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2013

This is a pleasant hotel with many rooms enjoying beautiful views across the sands & sea. My own was more than adequate with a comfortable bed, an efficient & easy to use shower that was easily regulated for those of ' senior years'. Breakfasts were well cooked ( never fatty ) & well presented, all the usual cereals were available, also a nice range fruits & yogurts etc etc. The hotel has some well presented lounge areas & the restaurant itself is charming with views that are very special. Bar meals are fairly priced & well presented. Drink prices are reasonable & compare well with local pubs & bars. All the staff seem nice people & seem happy to do what they can to make your stay enjoyable. It is perhaps true that some rooms might need updating but that's true with many hotels in this budget range. Lastly, this hotel is in a quiet part of Weston so it's nice & peaceful but only 5 or 10 minutes away from the centre of Weston. I shall be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Graham403
Gemma A, Manager at Dauncey's Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013

We know there are some areas and rooms which need upgrading within the hotel, however we pride ourselves on the level of service provided, which does help us to overcome this and your comments are certainly reflective of this.

Wales
Reviewed 11 August 2013

Dauncey's is as previously stated in need of a lot of TLC but we enjoyed our stay in a very comfortable bed with a large bathroom with both shower and bath.
Breakfast service was to table by friendly staff and all in all good value.
I would stay again and hope that they manage to gradually refurb their rooms.

Room Tip: If you have a sea front room you will still have a little noise from guest using the bar below and s...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Gemma A, Manager at Dauncey's Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2013

I was pleased to read your positive comments and have passed these on to Simon and his team who will be pleased to read them. We were particularly pleased to see that you found Daunceys to be value for money as this is certainly something that we strive to achieve.

Once again, thank you for your review and we certainly hope you will be back to stay with us again at some point in the future.