“ANOTHER! Birthday and Shopping Trip .....”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Weston-super-Mare
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Back to The Royal again (3rd?+ visit). Booked at the last minute but hotel is still on-the-ball! Our favourite hotel in the SW. No complaints again, as usual ... bedroom great with sea view and room to swing-the-cat (couldn't catch him this trip ;-)); food excellent (dinner and breakfast) with very good menus and choices and, to the Lady who served us dinner, may I say, "Dziękuję za doskonałą obsługę i rozmowy na obiad".
Prices are very good too.
Keep it up, The Royal, and as the former Governor of California said, "We'll be back!".

Room Tip: 1. Read some of the other reviews ... the Hotel is in a seaside holiday environment and it does get...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I recently took advantage of a groupon offer for tapas for £10 for 2. While I appreciate that because of the price it wasn't going to be amazing but tapas to me is olives, bead, dips etc but this was no less than buffet food from Icelands despite the advertising picture showing what I class to be traditional tapas. Yes it filled a hole but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. On a plus point the bar area was ok the staff were friendly.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mayolite99
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The stay at the hotel was for a Conference which included a Friday night when Live Entertainment is provided in the bar. When booking I was advised by the hotel that 'some of the livelier acts can occasionally be heard from the bedrooms located immediately above the Feathers Bar' although I wasn't told that the room I was allocated was in that position and only discovered this on arrival at the hotel. The statement about the livelier acts was, to put it mildly, 'uneconomical with the truth'. From the time I retired at 10 pm till 11.45 pm the noise in the room was too loud to hear a television at normal volume and this was accompanied by a most unpleasant base guitar vibration throughout the room which made sleep impossible. I attempted to take this up with the General Manager the next day and, when he eventually spoke to me, he was totally unsympathetic and essentially rude, saying 'if our Society had wanted a quiet hotel we should have booked one in the countryside'. Needless to say we will be taking his advice in the future, and I would encourage anyone who expects to be able to sleep and also would assume a basic level of courtesy from the management, to do the same!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Exeter R
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were A party of 6 stayed at this hotel for New Years Eve and New Years Day, well what can one say what great staff all of them even the manager was pretty good, special note to bar staff Luke and Kay, couldn't do enough for us even dragged along the corridors on what was a very busy evening to make sure we got the beer we required that was not in the function room, and the manager sent out for my wife and friends favourite tipple Perno which they don't normally sell just for us that evening. The evening meal in the function room was delightful very nicely cooked, and presented and the parsnips of course not everyone's favourite was the best I have tasted in any hotel. The waiting staff both male and female were so happy and friendly, as though they were also enjoying themselves with would you believe it lovely smiles on there faces you couldn't but enjoy yourselves, and the firework display on the lawns were excellent far more than you would expect for a hotel, my wife who loves her fireworks says it's the best she had seen for a long time.

Our rooms were very nice and tastefully decorated with no thread bare carpets, towels that fitted around my portly 44inch waste with ease and most importantly decent toilet paper, (a big let down with a lot of hotels) plenty of tea and coffee, nice tea pot, cups and saucers etc and biscuits daily but my only ever gripe in our room was those awful plastic floppy glasses that hotels seem to use these days. Finally the bar meals were nice as well, I enjoyed the fish and chips for lunch one day and the leak and ham pie the other, when you lifted the pastry top, the base was full of meat, not half empty as experienced in other establishments. All in all a great couple of days.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Peter W
Reviewed 5 January 2014

The hotel was chosen for a Conference, largely because it is reasonably cheap. (We always meet during the first week of the New Year, which, after New Years Eve is a flat time for hotels).
The decor probably aims to be Edwardian/Victorian but looks rather cluttered, dated & in places completely OTT (a huge baroque silvered mirror in the ladies loo). There is lots of dark red in the curtains, walls & carpets (shabby in places) and mahogany-style furniture.
The bedroom was a decent size, flat-screen tv & the red/mahogany theme continued. The bathroom fittings look relatively new Edwardian/Victorian style. We were warned about a change of level in the room so the steps down to the bathroom didn't come as a complete shock. They creaked almightily which didn't worry us but might have annoyed the next room. The first floor room had a sea-view, but over a flat roof cluttered with cables & partly obscured by an extension on the ground floor. We were thankful for the secondary glazing to reduce draughts & wind noise. A portable electric heater was provided so I imagine some guests have complained about heating in the past.
Breakfast was OK but not great - variety of juices, cereals, two bowls of yoghurt, croissants. Cooked breakfast OK but scrambled egg rather overdone & there are supplements for kippers/haddock.
Many of the staff have non-local accents but were generally efficient. The credit-card-style keys frequently needed reprogramming which meant trips up & down stairs
Main gripe was that it took nearly 24hrs to get wifi sorted - this wouldn't be a problem if you're trying to 'get away from it all' but we needed to keep in touch so this delay was annoying.
The Conference Dinner wasn't worth the money. Potato & leek soup OK but Carvery relied on quantity rather than quality - the beef was overcooked & vegetables had sat around waiting to be served. My 'chocolate cake' was inedible - dry and stale. No coffee or drink included so, as the Carvery was advertised in the bar as £9 or £14.50 for 2 courses, what we paid seemed too much.
One colleague had a room over the bar which was apparently very noisy, so avoid.
So, overall very average.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms over the bar unless you're deaf.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Cornish_traveller43
Reviewed 1 January 2014

Went to the Royal Hotel last night for NYE Gala dinner. We had our own table which was nice as we expected to be on a table of ten. Wine choice was a bit limited considering it's the premier hotel in weston but not the end of the world. The food was all prepared in advance and had clearly sat around and wasn't great. The room was decorated well and the band was good. Waiting staff at the bar clearly didn't want to be there and we were given prosecco when we asked for champagne and brandy was served in water glasses. At £60 a ticket I did expect the food to be better also the service when our mains were delivered we waited 5 mins for the vegetables to arrive. The fireworks were great but where was the advertised champagne bar? We had a good night because we were excited to see the new year in together but it wasn't what I was expecting.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2014

As me and my partner live in weston we made plans to go out on New Year's Eve .
We booked this hotel for its dinner and dance at a cost of £60 each.
This was a mistake.
The room was layed out well and the band was good and played well if not for them we would have left.
As for the food it was poor as best! The veg was over cooked and very poor. The meat had been cooked some time before and tasted so!
The so called Salmon starter again at best was poor and had sat out on the side for some time
The cheese we finished the the meal had done the same and had turned to rubber.
We had water jugs on the table but no glasses.the coffee was undrinkable.
The lady serving at the bar was happy and friendly but as a bar maid she was rubbish not knowing about the drinks or wot glass to put them in.
In short the food was poor and a complete waste of money on all levels.
Also the wine list was poor and limited.
As it was new year me and my partern had a great evening but that was down to us and not the hotel nor it's food or service.
So it was £120 plus drinks not well spent.

Room Tip: We did not stay. We just went for the New Years dinner.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple