“Nice weekend break”
Review of Royal Hotel

Royal Hotel
Ranked #8 of 28 Hotels in Weston-super-Mare
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Lovely food, great sea view, helpful staff, good location.

As we left, our taxi driver confirmed our opinion that we had visited the best hotel in Weston. with easy access to both town and sea front, a very pleasant three night stay.

Book with confidence

Room Tip: Sea view rooms bathed in light at night
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ann B

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Our first visit to this hotel we were warmly greeted at reception, and soon found our room 116 the room was very nicely decorated and large and the fittings were first class. Only complain was that the room was very hot over night with no rad on. The breakfast was excellent and so was the evening meal good menu and good service. Entertainment was good on Friday evening but nothing on Saturday evening this was a disappointment. Hotel position good for access to shopping centre and sea front, also good parking in hotel grounds. We would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Avoid room over kitchen.I think this was the reason it was hot. Also views better if higher than fir...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rod D
Reviewed 22 January 2014

The room was ok but the service was terrible. We stayed there for our wedding night and were walked in on not once, but twice by a cleaning lady. She walked fully into the room and demanded we leave as we were supposed to have checked out by 10am and it was now 10.30am. We told her that we had booked a late check out but she stood there adamant until we told her we would pack up and go. It was our wedding night and we were basically thrown out of the room even though we had paid for a late check out!

The reception staff didn't care either and upon asking to speak to the manager we were told "they aren't in yet". Surely all good business's have a manager on at all times. We did write a letter of complaint but never heard anything back. Utterly disgusting service, personally I wish we had stayed at the premier inn! But given it was our wedding night I decided to splash a little extra cash (£200!) for a room we barely spent 8hours in. Truly disappointing and I w old never recommend, if you want decent service, a room with a working shower and not to be kicked out by a cleaner barging into your room and shouting at you then just book a stay somewhere else!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Zoe R
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Back to The Royal again (3rd?+ visit). Booked at the last minute but hotel is still on-the-ball! Our favourite hotel in the SW. No complaints again, as usual ... bedroom great with sea view and room to swing-the-cat (couldn't catch him this trip ;-)); food excellent (dinner and breakfast) with very good menus and choices and, to the Lady who served us dinner, may I say, "Dziękuję za doskonałą obsługę i rozmowy na obiad".
Prices are very good too.
Keep it up, The Royal, and as the former Governor of California said, "We'll be back!".

Room Tip: 1. Read some of the other reviews ... the Hotel is in a seaside holiday environment and it does get...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 January 2014 via mobile

I recently took advantage of a groupon offer for tapas for £10 for 2. While I appreciate that because of the price it wasn't going to be amazing but tapas to me is olives, bead, dips etc but this was no less than buffet food from Icelands despite the advertising picture showing what I class to be traditional tapas. Yes it filled a hole but I wouldn't necessarily recommend it. On a plus point the bar area was ok the staff were friendly.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mayolite99
Reviewed 6 January 2014

The stay at the hotel was for a Conference which included a Friday night when Live Entertainment is provided in the bar. When booking I was advised by the hotel that 'some of the livelier acts can occasionally be heard from the bedrooms located immediately above the Feathers Bar' although I wasn't told that the room I was allocated was in that position and only discovered this on arrival at the hotel. The statement about the livelier acts was, to put it mildly, 'uneconomical with the truth'. From the time I retired at 10 pm till 11.45 pm the noise in the room was too loud to hear a television at normal volume and this was accompanied by a most unpleasant base guitar vibration throughout the room which made sleep impossible. I attempted to take this up with the General Manager the next day and, when he eventually spoke to me, he was totally unsympathetic and essentially rude, saying 'if our Society had wanted a quiet hotel we should have booked one in the countryside'. Needless to say we will be taking his advice in the future, and I would encourage anyone who expects to be able to sleep and also would assume a basic level of courtesy from the management, to do the same!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
6  Thank Exeter R
Reviewed 6 January 2014

We were A party of 6 stayed at this hotel for New Years Eve and New Years Day, well what can one say what great staff all of them even the manager was pretty good, special note to bar staff Luke and Kay, couldn't do enough for us even dragged along the corridors on what was a very busy evening to make sure we got the beer we required that was not in the function room, and the manager sent out for my wife and friends favourite tipple Perno which they don't normally sell just for us that evening. The evening meal in the function room was delightful very nicely cooked, and presented and the parsnips of course not everyone's favourite was the best I have tasted in any hotel. The waiting staff both male and female were so happy and friendly, as though they were also enjoying themselves with would you believe it lovely smiles on there faces you couldn't but enjoy yourselves, and the firework display on the lawns were excellent far more than you would expect for a hotel, my wife who loves her fireworks says it's the best she had seen for a long time.

Our rooms were very nice and tastefully decorated with no thread bare carpets, towels that fitted around my portly 44inch waste with ease and most importantly decent toilet paper, (a big let down with a lot of hotels) plenty of tea and coffee, nice tea pot, cups and saucers etc and biscuits daily but my only ever gripe in our room was those awful plastic floppy glasses that hotels seem to use these days. Finally the bar meals were nice as well, I enjoyed the fish and chips for lunch one day and the leak and ham pie the other, when you lifted the pastry top, the base was full of meat, not half empty as experienced in other establishments. All in all a great couple of days.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends