“Best Thai around”

Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 8 October 2013

The restuarant is about 20 minutes from where we live and is one of the best Thai restaurants I have ever been to. It changed hands about a year ago. The food is even better than it was before. The restaurant itself is beautifully set out and has a lovely ambience, even though it is small. The prices are about average. I would definitely recommend.

There are newer reviews for Amorn Thai Restaurant and Cafe

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Simple atmosphere, small, but good service and food artfully flavored. Good service. Not open every day for dinner.

Reviewed 12 August 2013

We visited on spec on a Saturday evening and were extremely pleasantly suprised. The service was attentive and helpful and the food excellent- freshly cooked and very tasty. They also had a very nice bottle of NZ sauvignon on the wine list, so all good. Will definately visit again.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

Food was at best mediocre and service was appalingly slow. The bill was extremely slow coming (40 mins each for starter and main), with staff well practiced at avoiding eye contact. (Most other tables were also trying to attract the Waiter's attention at various points). When I eventually managed to pay (only by resorting to a trip to the bar), I was asked if everything was ok. "Frankly, the service was dreadful" I advised. The waiter (owner?) looked shocked but said nothing, so I added that my Wife's salad did not even have any Papaya in it (according to the menu it's a Thai classic). The Waiter seemed not to understand but the Chef overheard and marched over to laughingly wave a bok choy at me. I 'm not sure what this was about, but assume it was to tell me what the white stuff that wasn't the advertised papaya really was. The shared starter was also overpriced at £18 for 2 (looking at other tables, the other starters seemed far better value).

Redeeming features are: nice decor, good atmosphere, great flavours in the mixed starter, reasonably varied and very well priced wine list.

I would point out that a fair proportion of the clientelle seemed to be local, so perhaps we just caught a bad night. My £50 is gone though and given the number of references her to poor service, I do not intend to risk another £50 to see if the repeat performance is any better. Next time, I'll be back to the Asha Balti House, which in my experience, is a much more solid bet.

Reviewed 7 April 2013 via mobile

Went here this Sunday night after hearing about the buffet night they were holding, my partner and I really enjoy the variety of food that was on offer which also ment we got to taste the different types of food on the menu that we wouldn't normally try which is very handy to know for future visits we will make to the restaurant.
All the food tasted delicious,was warm,service was great and at £9 pound per head was excellent value for money.

1  Thank moonrising