“A real castle stay!”
Review of Gwydir Castle B&B

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llanrwst
Gwydir Castle B&B
Ranked #3 of 6 Llanrwst B&B and Inns
syracuse ny
“A real castle stay!”
Reviewed 17 June 2011

If you're a 21st century traveler, this may not be for you. There's no shower (but a huge bathtub), no TV or internet. Instead, there'e a big room furnished with antiques, breakfast by a fireplace, peacocks outside the windows, and acres of garden to wnader through. Judy and Peter have done a wonderful job in restoring this gem, an oasis located within a few mile of Conwy and the other sights of North Wales.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank scotlass66

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Middlewich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2011

What a treasure!! Had found this on the internet and was intrigued to visit whilst staying in nearby Llanwrst. We are so glad we found it. Glorious gardens, friendly Peacocks and a beautiful historic house to mooch around. Definitely going to buy Castles in the Air to see how it was lovingly restored!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Saran F
Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2011

There's not a lot to add to the positive comments about Gwydir Castle - if you want WiFi, TV, luxury toiletries and a 'could be any luxury hotel' atmosphere, then this wouldn't be for you. If however, you want the opportunity to stay in a castle where you are transported back in time to a place where the peace of the old house envelopes you and soothes away any tension or stresses, then this is the place to stay. We stayed in the Duke of Beaufort's Camber, which was warm and comfortable - the bed may be a bit harder than I'm used to, but I slept surprisingly well for one who usually doesn't sleep well away from home.
Breakfast was served in the dining room, which is simply a room I can't stay out of. There's a real, tranquil atmosphere which drew me back each time I passed by.
We visited LLanwrist and Trefriw, and ate at the Ship in Trefriw both nights - wonderful food in a super traditional pub (no TV or amusement games - Thank God!).

I'll end by stating that I have to disagree with the previous review which stated that this was the 'worst castle they had encountered'. I feel I've stayed in a genuine, back-to-its-roots castle, and am the richer for the experience.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Muffinette1661
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2011

We were greeted by Judy, who is just so calmly lovely, at the small door in the gate and shown to the house. The creaking door, wooden worn steps so added to the feeling you were somewhere special. We received such a warm welcome by both Judy and Peter. I immediately spotted the book written by Judy 'Castles in the Air' on a tabe in the hall and thought I would browse through later that night. We stayed in the Kings room with 6 windows, velvety curtains, a four poster bed and a real feeling of past heritage. I must admit to feeling like the 'princess and the pea' when climbing into bed! The room had a nice ambience and feel, which surprised me after the ghost stories. I would descibe our nigh'ts stay as: welcoming, exceptional service, very peaceful & comfortable, despite the locals at the Ship Inn making us laugh with ghostly stories...which only added to the excitement of our stay. The Ship Inn was recommended by Peter and the food was mouth watering...the duck sumptuous and you can't beat sausage & mash with a twist. After a good nights sleep, Judy served our cooked breakfast in the wonderful sun lit panelled room above the kitchen, next to our room via a couple of steps, which was a perfect start the day. We viewed the house and gardens in the morning. As the locals told us, Judy & Peter have done a fantastic restoration job...you really have to visit and experience this lovely step back in time, its wonderful!

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mountroad
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 9 February 2011

Wanted to visit Gwydir because, in researching my Welsh ancestry, I found it was the likely seat of my branch of the ancient Gwyn name. As part of my trip-planning, I read Castles in the Air, the new propietors' fascinating story of their acquisition and rehabilitation of the formerly abused and abandoned castle. It's a quick and entertaining read- get it!
Anyway, we drove from London and got so lost that we ended up arriving closer to 2am than our projected 9pm. But Peter and Judy were SO kind and accommodating that they stayed up to let us in- normally the castle's gate closes at 9pm.

We stayed in the Duke of Beaufort's Chamber, which is the lower-priced room, but were still impressed with the size of the room (LARGE), the quality and tastefulness of the decor and furnishings, and the regal-but-cozy atmosphere. Our ONE caveat: the beautiful peacocks who roam the grounds have a particular fondness for the roof/balcony outside this bedroom and they tend to screech loudly at odd intervals throughout the night. It wasn't enough to prevent us from sleeping but the first shriek that came from right outside the window made us both jump.

The next morning we had breakfast (generous and delicious,) explored the castle (fantastic), and the grounds (so beautiful and well-maintained), and had dinner in town at a Bangladeshi restaurant that had really delicious food (we were pretty shocked). We also drove near Betwys-y-Coed and rode horses and hiked in the lush green hills. As a HUGE fan of John Ford's 1941 classic, How Green Was My Valley, I was in hog heaven. The next day we drove a bit further to see Conwy Castle (fun, cute town).

I was so sad to leave but I know I'll return again and again. Castle Gwydir has that effect I think- its beauty and tranquility keep calling you back. Thank you, Judy and Peter, for an unforgettable experience.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank FannieBelle
London
Reviewed 26 October 2010

We had stayed in the coachhouse for a week. The door was massive and old, as was the key which we kept with us up in the bedroom. All went well until the last night we were there. At about midnight l heard distinctly the creak of the opening door and this was quickly followed by unmistakable footsteps. I sat up in the bed half expecting a head to appear at the bottom of the room, the top of the stairs- but no such thing happened.We then heard what sounded like footsteps on the ceiling/roof???
When l handed in the key in the morning and told the cleaner l had thought we were the only people at the hotel she merely laughed and said that it would have been the ghost. As a serving police officer l dismissed it out of hand, but was suprised to see Robert Hardy on the tv the following week talking about the murder at Gwydir Castle and it's associated ghost. Our trip was actually in the summer of 2005 actually.
Great time.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank philpoole
lublin
Reviewed 19 August 2010

This was the best B&B we have ever stayed in and was the highlight of our stay in Wales. The castle was amazing - full of atmosphere and character. The service was excellent. The rooms were clean, comfortable and beautifully furnished with antiques and four-poster beds. We were made to feel so welcome by our lovely hosts, Judy and Peter, who have devoted their lives to restoring this ancient and noble house. It is like entering another world - so tranquil and romantic. It was a deeply memorable experience and we will return to Wales because of it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank misza23
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanrwst
Ruthin Castle Hotel
#3 of 3 in Llanrwst
Royal Oak Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
#3 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Gwydir Castle B&B? Share your experiences!