“Amateur”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Llanrwst
Wichenford, United Kingdom
“Amateur”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Three of us stayed in the family room in the attic for one night. We were having pre dinner drinks in the residence bar when a waitress came to take us and our drinks to our table. She accidentally spilled a glass of red wine over the clothes of the two ladies (all over). We had to enter the dinning room with both women covered in red wine until the manager came to our table. After a conversation the ladies left the table to change into their day clothes worn all day and the manager took the stained clothes to wash. During the evening he interrupted our meal several times to show us the progress in cleaning the clothes causing considerable embarrassment. He did succeed in removing the stains. We did not want to add to the embarrassment at the time and therefore made no demands. At the bar after the meal the manager was present and we had conversation with him, but he failed to even offer us a drink 'on the hotel'.
On our return home I emailed the hotel to express my disappointment and request some recompense for our stress and embarrassment but have not even received a reply!!
The hotel looks great outside, particularly at night. Inside it is tired and in need of refurbishment. The carpets in our room appeared to be dirty and stained, urine stains around the toilet. The shower was awful - took ages to get warm water and barely a dribble.
Would we stay there again - absolutely not.

Room Tip: To choose a good room - stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
northumberland
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The first impression of turning in to this hotel is stunning, it has a real wow factor. First impression of the reception is a lovely elegant staircase and a real period charm. First impression of our room was very nice. The slight problem I have with giving a five star rating is that behind these first impressions you can't get away from a feeling that some things aren't quite right. Firstly the room was a suite for 3 people. The second bedroom, however, was just a box room with no natural light or ventilation and it had the en-suite attached to it so we all had to travel through the box room to use the bathroom. Also being up in the rafters ( with no lift ) there was a lot of odd shaped and low structures and ceilings to contend with. While everyone working in the hotel were friendly and attended to any needs you had it felt that this was done very much with a mind to watching the pennies. Due to the hot weather I asked for a fan for each of the two rooms but could only be provided with one, toast of a morning came only half a rack at a time, limited supplies of juice seemed to be provided with breakfast. I just felt a bit like Oliver always asking for more. It also seemed that there was a lack of staff. I lost count of how many different jobs I saw the guy running the place doing from sorting the internet to watering the gardens to waiting on tables. The latter is why unusually i'm letting my heart rule my head. Because yes there were issues with the place, yes most of the high light fittings had cobwebs, yes ( not being an animal lover ) there was a cat everywhere (including the dining room) but some how I loved the building and it's ambience so much that they kind of added to the character. This alone may have led me to give 4 stars but i'm afraid the guy running it worked so hard and remained so friendly and so cheerful throughout our stay that I feel i would be letting his dedication down by not going completely with my heart and saying that I got 5 stars of enjoyment from the place despite some areas for improvement.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We look back on our stay with a certain fondness because all of the staff were so nice to us. However, they seem to be running to stand still. On our arrival there was no-one at reception. After striking the traditional bell and still no response, the untended mail, room keys on the counter and topsy-turvy appearance reminded us of tv reality series that now started to worry us. Eventually, we got to our room which was quite dark and with small windows which didn't allow us much fresh air during what was a very warm period. Nevertheless, it was clean, spacious and comfortable. We dined on our first night and, for the cost, it was OK. However, not having an alternative to the set meals, such as bar snacks, was disappointing. Breakfasts were fine with fresh fruit and well cooked hot options (good portions strangely served on small plates). Then they lost our key for a day and the bell at reception, by that time, had given up. Virtually no wi-fi needs sorting. The location is good for visiting Snowdonia but the stay was epitomised by not being able to get an online connection to pay by credit card. The term 'Fawlty' was used by another guest . . .

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Somerset
Reviewed 17 July 2013

Recently my father died in a fire at his bungalow in Llanrwst. Having nowhere to stay, I contacted the Maenan Abbey Hotel and my wife and I stayed there for a few days while we tried to sort things out. The welcome which greeted us could not have been equalled anywhere and we received personal and very considerate attention from the Manager, David, who went to extraordinary lengths to ensure we the very best service was put at our disposal to meet our needs at this very traumatic time. The hotel was delightful, full of history and had the most beautiful grounds. The meals, particularly evening dinner, were excellent, with a very full and varied menu. We couldn't fault a single member of staff and felt that they really were delighted to see us. Two weeks later we returned to the hotel for a second stay with our daughters and their families to attend the funeral and once again our stay was made perfect - a nice little touch being David's offer of one of the four-poster bedrooms. Even my oldest daughter's dog was catered for, removing the worry of what to do with her while we were at the funeral on a boiling hot day. What a place! We will definitely be going back there to stay in the future and I can't recommend the hotel enough.

David Hodges

Room Tip: Go for a four-poster room, if you can. Roomy and very comfortable. But our first stay in an ordinary...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank somersetboz
Llansanffraid Glan Conwy, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

The reason for our stay , a wedding just a mile up the road. We arrived at the hotel and trotted up to reception where it quickly became apparent that they had cocked up our room. We thought of sitting down on the reception settees but thought best of it ( really need a clean)!!! The only other chair was occupied by a cat. W e waited and waited and then a dog appeared from upstairs, again needed a clean! So eventually the alleged manager arrived who could not assist with our room cock up so we were shown the alternatives, small bed, bright room, painted furniture in an attempt I guess to be boutique style - you failed. The alternative a dark room with a teeny weeny shower. We had to accept the room thinking we had no alternative. We did not unpack the car thankfully we went for a ride and found a clean hotel with lovely staff and a great restaurant ( the quay at deganwy ). The was no attempt by the manager to compensate for his cock up and frankly as the dying flowers in the reception there was no hope of saving the situation. I would never recoemmend this hotel and I would certainly advise anyone to look further afield. Great shame but honestly true.

Room Tip: Go to the Quay at Deganwy.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sarah T
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We used the hotel as a base to travel into Conway,Betws-y-coed and Snowdonia and could reach all within a short drive by car. The hotel provided a friendly and helpful service and the food was excellent with delicate starters, tasty main courses and superb deserts that tasted as good as they looked. Enjoyed a comfortable bed with sheets and pillows into which you melted asleep. I was on the top floor which had a skylight and which introduced a lot of light in the early June morning but then I noticed the internal blind you need to close up in the evening. The hotel is charming complete with entrance staircase and balcony and the whole house and gardens are picturesque. We were lucky with the sunshine and could relax after our travels with a cool drink on the huge lawns and admire the flowers and trees.

Room Tip: My room was good value but I saw some of the slightly more expensive rooms and would recommend payin...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Harry C
Llandudno
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Stayed here for one night with my wife to celebrate our anniversary .
Positives the staff all seemed friendly .
Negatives were there just didn't seem like enough staff . Service in the restaurant was extremely slow for what seemed like a quiet period only counted 5 other couples/families in the whole hotel . The food was ok nothing special the chocolate sauce on my pudding had been put on hours before and set in the fridge it was basically moulded onto the plate . Portions were also far to small and was presented on big plates which on closer inspection made it all look a bit daft . Service was very disjointed the young lad who was in charge seemed all over the place he was also in charge of reception and the bar so no wonder .
After we decided to retire to our room I tried to watch the Tele but no channel seemed to work after playing about with the aerial lead to try and get a signal I decided to phone reception to see if they could sort it out . The bloke who was working the bar answered the phone I told him the problem and he said he would speak to the duty manager . Now I recall from earlier hearing the duty manager say he was clocking off at 8 pm . Anyway the guy behind the bar quickly called me back and said he had spoke to the manager and there was nothing they could do it was as he quoted "Atmospheric" and it was down to the location . What a load of rubbish it's just not good enough especially when your paying a high price for the room you at least expect the TV to work .
Breakfast was just a disaster what should have taken 20 mins nearly took over an hour due to the slow service . Any slower and they would have been going in reverse . Paid the bill with the lad who was at the time working in reception , bar , restaurant , housekeeping and potwash heck he was probably the chef as well . We won't be returning. My advice is change your manager and employ more staff .

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dood29
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanrwst
The Meadowsweet Hotel
#1 of 2 in Conwy
Ty Gwyn Hotel
Ty Gwyn Hotel
#1 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Maenan Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!