“could be so much better”
Review of Maenan Abbey Hotel

Maenan Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Llanrwst
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We decided to stay at the Maenan Abbey as we used to visit many years ago and we were also stuck for a room for our visit to Betws Y Cord.
Sometimes was trying to warn us not to visit this hotel as on our original planned weekend the van broke down in Llandudno and we had to wait 3 hours to get the aa to relay us home. This weekend we tried again, we changed the day as we would have had to pay for the room regardless. However again something was trying to put us off as we again broke down in Llandudno, a different fault, however this time they were able to fix it and we carried on with our plans.

On arrival at the hotel about 6 we went to the reception which was empty. The office are which is visible was very untidy and the walls had paint chipped off. On the reception counter were letters obviously delivered earlier (I must point out that these were still there when we left at 10 the following morning) there was also a grubby plate with a variety of objects on it including cufflinks nuts and bolts and a lightbulb. We stood there for a few minutes after having rung the bell and a young man came past and said the lady wouldn't be long, I believe she was serving in the bar. When she finally arrived she showed us to our room on the second floor, explaining enthusiastically that our room had a shiny new bathroom. Well you can imagine what we were expecting. State of the art power shower and modern suite with fancy chrome taps, hmmm.
We were shown into the room which was a good size however being on the second floor the ceiling lowered quite a bit by the window and there were roof beams all over the place. There was an additional room with 2 single beds and that lead to the shiny new bathroom, yea right. All I can say is it had been retiled and a new floor put in. Again there were low beams which you hat to manoeuvre around.
As it was just for the one night we weren't too bothered, however when I switched the shower on (it was one of those that the water comes through the bath taps and you pull a level an it transfers to the shower) the water did not drain away, then to my horror some black bits floated out of the plug hole. I was very close to telling them were to stick there room however I managed to clear the plug using a facecloth. When I finally felt safe that nothing else was going to appear I got into the shower however the water was far too hot unfortunately when I turned even the smallest a amount of cold on it overpowered the hot and was freezing. I finally managed to get the temperature right and didn't switch it off until we ha both showered.
We didn't have a tv remote and when my husband enquired at reception he was told they had some but the man who had them was on his tea,we requested on be brought to our room and I am certain if we were still there we would still be waiting.
The room itself was ok apart from having to bend over to get round my side of the bed due to the ceiling and the bed was very short, even form at 5`2" my toes touch the footboard if I stretched so you would have no luck I you see near 6`. I also noticed pieces of paper on the floor which had not been cleaned and to be honest the floor looked in need of a good hoover.
I definitely would not go there again. When we paid they didn't even as if the stay was ok and they didn't really seem bothered.
This is a lovely old large hotel which really needs good staff to look after it.
I appreciate that there are many positive comments and if you want to decide for your self you can't say you haven't been warned!

Room Tip: Get a hotel in Betws.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Janet66
There are newer reviews for Maenan Abbey Hotel

Reviewed 21 September 2013

Three of us in a family room billed as two bedrooms with a "separate seating area." This "separate" area turned out to be a chair and small table in one corner of one bedroom--NOT separate. Worse yet, we didn't have enough hot water for all 3 of us to shower in the morning, and the manager only offered the excuse that everyone is trying to shower before breakfast and there isn't quite enough hot water to go around. Seems like a lovely old building that has not quite been brought up to modern standards and has ineffective management. Only bright spot was the breakfast waitress, who was charming, cheerful and helpful.

Room Tip: Avoid the third (top) floor.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank BinPerp
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Spent 3 days at this hotel for our Silver Wedding Anniversary. On arrival the approach to the hotel was stunning, gardens well kept, having booked room 3, we were also given the choice of room 6 by David (manager). Throughout our stay the service was excellent, nothing was too much trouble. All staff were very helpful and willing to tend to anything we needed. The room and food at Maenan Abbey were beyond our expectations. Special thank you for the Swans and Wedding cake !!!. recommend Maenan Abbey to anyone.

Room Tip: pick room 3 four poster bed or room 6 bridal room (super)
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stephen a
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My wife and I stayed at the hotel for four nights. Very animal friendly. The price for the stay was good value. The hotel from the outside was what you would expect for a listed building of this age.
It was clean and the gardening staff hard at work.
Once we stepped inside you are faced with a fairly grand staircase. The hotel foyer was large and uncluttered .
The staff were very friendly and welcoming. nothing was too much trouble. the room we had was spacious and fresh.. The room was decorated in a manor suitable for the period of the hotel . The bed was large and very comfortable. Spare pillows and blankets available in the wardrobes. The on-suite bathroom was clean with a walk in shower cubicle (not over a bath)
The bar and lounge area were comfortable and we spent many evenings in conversation with other guests and the manager David, who took great pride in the hotel and his staff
The breakfast was filling, hot and of a very good standard as were the evening meals
This is a hotel that I and the other guests will be returning to in the future.
The only negative thing we found about the hotel were the reviews written by people who wanted to have a go at the hotel for some personal reason or simply had nothing better to do than whinge about a broken light bulb for example. Get a life, enjoy your holiday and the quiet countryside.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank david4489
Reviewed 15 August 2013

Upon the reviews we read and the well taken marketing pictures we decided to stay for 3 nights as the hotel allowed dogs.
We do stay in many hotels, cottages & of all standards and this seemed to fit our needs.
Our £255.00 for 3 nights seemed on paper to be on par with our usual costs but on reflection this was not good value.
The hotel from the outside was in need of a clean up party, gardiner & general bod to make the overall look less messy..
I took the dogs for a stroll around the grounds to be confronted with overflowing sewage around the manhole at the back of the hotel!!
Once we stepped inside the general feeling was tired and cluttered and cleaning was obviously not on the agenda!
The welcome staff were nice and showed us to our room. The smell of drains was very apparent, hence why the windows were open no doubt.. The room was grubby but nothing a good clean and a fresh paint wouldn't cure. Bathroom needed slightly more attention!
The continual mess and clutter that was presented in every area of the hotel was horrible and not necessary.
The breakfast was acceptable albeit slightly greasy..
The staff did their best with what they had to work with.
We never leave feedback on any of our other stays, but felt we had to as others need to know..
We just hope the owner does justice to the hotel and staff and puts some effort back in!
Sad!

• Stayed: August 2013
5  Thank Baters65
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

My Husband and I would like to say a huge Thank You to Everyone at The Maenan for making our Wedding Day so perfect. The food was amazing and everyone who joined us on our special day, complimented the Staff, Chef, and the Manager. The hotel is beautiful and would recommend to anyone. Also a big thanks to the owner for our special car ride! Xx

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed for two nights with our two large Spinones and they were made to feel as welcome as we did. David the manager was so helpful and was very attentive. The food was great with a good choice both breakfast and evening meal. Will definitely visit again.

Only complaint was it was very warm in the hotel and room.

Room Tip: Room 6 was roomy, four poster bed and jacuzzi, we didn't use the jacuzzi but would have been goo...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanrwst
The Eagles Hotel
#1 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Castle Hotel
Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Conwy

Been to Maenan Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!