Maenan Abbey Hotel
US$119
The Lodge Conwy(Tal-y-Bont)
US$113
  • Breakfast included
Bryn Tyrch Inn(Capel Curig)
US$146
US$142
All reviewsjacuzzi baththe penthouseevening mealsea basswedding partybeautiful buildingdog friendly hotelbar areaold buildingits charmspecial offerstaff were lovelycouldn't do enoughmy mumopen firenorth walesfor sunday lunch
Reviewed 28 December 2013 via mobile

Just had the most fantastic Xmas. Venue, food, service all excellent. Would also rate as most dog friendly hotel I have stayed at. Dogs all played together and had treats and gifts. Plenty of space for them to exercise. Area just brimming with places to explore

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Audrey E
Reviewed 11 December 2013

Spent 4 days at this lovely hotel last month. Food was excellent, and portion sizes very ample, not that expensive either!.My room(number 4) was very, very nice, loved the decor!. The staff were very helpful, and friendly, nothing was too much trouble for them.Staying there again in march 2015, really looking forward to it :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Eileen W
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This hotel was excellent the staff were very helpful and our room was excellent, the food was priced very cheap but the standard of the food was like Michelin star food standards. I would definitely recommend to anyone to stay here and we will be going back very soon.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Nicola R
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We had our wedding reception here in mid September 2013. We picked the hotel as you can have it privately just for your wedding reception and guests.
You have to have all the rooms but that wasn't a problem and meant that only wedding guests were at the hotel.
The hotel manager David was helpfull and freindly from start to finish, he could not do enough for us and nothing was to much trouble.
The food served on the wedding day was lovely and was piping hot, we had just over 80 guests and all were served quickly and everyone commented on how good the food was and how much there was of it.
The hotel is a lovely location for a wedding reception with the gardens available for the photos and is very good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Mark W
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We decided to stay at the Maenan Abbey as we used to visit many years ago and we were also stuck for a room for our visit to Betws Y Cord.
Sometimes was trying to warn us not to visit this hotel as on our original planned weekend the van broke down in Llandudno and we had to wait 3 hours to get the aa to relay us home. This weekend we tried again, we changed the day as we would have had to pay for the room regardless. However again something was trying to put us off as we again broke down in Llandudno, a different fault, however this time they were able to fix it and we carried on with our plans.

On arrival at the hotel about 6 we went to the reception which was empty. The office are which is visible was very untidy and the walls had paint chipped off. On the reception counter were letters obviously delivered earlier (I must point out that these were still there when we left at 10 the following morning) there was also a grubby plate with a variety of objects on it including cufflinks nuts and bolts and a lightbulb. We stood there for a few minutes after having rung the bell and a young man came past and said the lady wouldn't be long, I believe she was serving in the bar. When she finally arrived she showed us to our room on the second floor, explaining enthusiastically that our room had a shiny new bathroom. Well you can imagine what we were expecting. State of the art power shower and modern suite with fancy chrome taps, hmmm.
We were shown into the room which was a good size however being on the second floor the ceiling lowered quite a bit by the window and there were roof beams all over the place. There was an additional room with 2 single beds and that lead to the shiny new bathroom, yea right. All I can say is it had been retiled and a new floor put in. Again there were low beams which you hat to manoeuvre around.
As it was just for the one night we weren't too bothered, however when I switched the shower on (it was one of those that the water comes through the bath taps and you pull a level an it transfers to the shower) the water did not drain away, then to my horror some black bits floated out of the plug hole. I was very close to telling them were to stick there room however I managed to clear the plug using a facecloth. When I finally felt safe that nothing else was going to appear I got into the shower however the water was far too hot unfortunately when I turned even the smallest a amount of cold on it overpowered the hot and was freezing. I finally managed to get the temperature right and didn't switch it off until we ha both showered.
We didn't have a tv remote and when my husband enquired at reception he was told they had some but the man who had them was on his tea,we requested on be brought to our room and I am certain if we were still there we would still be waiting.
The room itself was ok apart from having to bend over to get round my side of the bed due to the ceiling and the bed was very short, even form at 5`2" my toes touch the footboard if I stretched so you would have no luck I you see near 6`. I also noticed pieces of paper on the floor which had not been cleaned and to be honest the floor looked in need of a good hoover.
I definitely would not go there again. When we paid they didn't even as if the stay was ok and they didn't really seem bothered.
This is a lovely old large hotel which really needs good staff to look after it.
I appreciate that there are many positive comments and if you want to decide for your self you can't say you haven't been warned!

Room Tip: Get a hotel in Betws.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple