“Don't stay here!”
Review of Maenan Abbey Hotel

Maenan Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Llanrwst
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We booked the "luxury suite". This is a very dated, shabby establishment. I don't mind that, but I do mind that the rooms had not been cleaned (the bed had been changed though), the bathroom had urine on the floor, dirt around the Jacuzzi, excrement in the toilet brush. No television due to no digital signal. When I activated the Jacuzzi, a foul sewerage smelling substance was splashed all over my legs. This is worrying. Breakfast was served by a very helpful lady, but we were told that "the Chef will say no to a request for mushrooms with a dish not normally served". The mushrooms is not an issue; the issue is the inflexibility of the chef to provide for his customer. It turns out that the Chef is also The Manager/Director. When I stated upon checking out that I was not prepared to pay the extra £25 that the staff member had told me was extra for the Jacuzzi (when I booked on the telephone),I was told that I would have a £10 discount!!! After a lengthy discussion with the very helpful lady (only one doing any work there) and several visits to the kitchen, I agreed to pay for a double room. The Manager refused to speak to me. I wouldn't recommend this place to ANYONE! There were other issues, such as the room smelling of old fat as it was placed above the kitchen. I could go on for ages, but I should imagine that you have got the idea by now... We had left the car in a lovely hotel down the road (wedding) and had to walk a mile & 1/4 down a busy road the next day as taxis weren't available. Hotel staff not helpful when asked if they could take us with payment for fuel. Having said that, that was my problem.

Room Tip: Go to Plas Maenan, a mile down the road. That's lovely!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Donna J
There are newer reviews for Maenan Abbey Hotel

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The initial impression of the hotel was good, when it came to eating in the restaurant we found the menu uninspiring, with a tendency towards neuvo cuisine, but only in portion size, after two nights we found eating out preferable as there was no alternative to the set menu, when it came to breakfast there was no deviation from the menu i.e if you asked for scrambled egg and not poached we were told " oh I don't think so I will have to ask the chef" it seems like the staff were afraid to ask the chef to change anything, even though it said at the bottom of the menu you had the option to choose to change the choice, we found the staff to be very friendly, although the rooms were reasonably clean there was a dead fly on the window sill when I arrived and it was still there when I left three days later also I found broken glass on my bathroom floor which I almost trod on, there seems to be a lack of desire to clean windows or glass which somewhat spoils the view from inside, the reason we chose to stay there is because three years ago we came across the hotel when we were looking for somewhere to eat as the food was excellent, and the owners there showed us the newly refurbished rooms, we understand that the hotel is now under new management that don't seem to meet the standards or passions of the past.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Clifford B
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a most impressive building on the main road into Llanrwst. We just called in for a drink because we assumed that it would be far too expensive to eat there,
The chaps in the bar were really friendly and they know how to serve drinks properly.
The atmosphere was good so we looked at the menu and decided to stay for dinner. It was excellent value! The best evening meal we had during our stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sally R
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Medium range hotel in a wonderful location
The manager was charming and helpful and the young members of staff were well organised and polite
We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to any of our friends

• Stayed: May 2014
2  Thank Springwell83
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

money.We have eaten at Maenan well over 100 times have stayed at the hotel on numerous occasions and cannot praise David and his team highly enough .We look forward to going back soon from Carole and Roy Kearey

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Went to the Maenan Abbey Hotel for sunday lunch celebrating mothers 80th. food excellent, atmosphere wonderful . Have been to the Maenan on warmer sunday and they brought coffee out to the stunning gardens, certainly be going again.

Room Tip: Only had sunday lunch
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Valerie H
Reviewed 10 March 2014

My wife booked a short break which she found on offer in our local paper, to be honest the offer sounded too good to be true. We thought "there's bound to be a catch", there was no catch and we had a fantastic 4 day stay.
I'm not one to go on and on so let me be brief:

The good:
The hotel location, decor, feel, atmosphere, and friendliness of the place itself is fantastic.
The staff are truly first class and a real asset (special mention to the lady who serves breakfast 3 out of the 4 days, she is simply brill).
Downstairs gents toilet are genius (but fix the TV screens).
The rooms are cleaned daily and our room was spotless every day.
The food served is fabulous.
The quality and price of the beer is really good.
Love the hotel cats, and the dog and the fact that you allow dogs is great (even though we did not have one)

The areas for improvement - notice I have not said bad as these are areas that in all honestly are not bad but do need improvement:
The shower performance is poor (temperature and pressure).
Room TV reception was poor and position in relation to the bed needs a re-think (maybe on a wall bracket).
Towels in the room, although very clean are looking past their best (threads hanging off the edges).
Some areas of general access cleaning needs tightening up on (cobwebs, etc).
Food times could be extended to give more flexibility.
Bed length was a little short (strange one i know, but there you have it).

There you have it, I could go on and on but honestly I have stay everywhere, camping for pennies to top class hotels in major cities and I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. This hotel is a very open and honest establishment and I wish the new owners (the Manager and Head Chef all the very best for the future).

Would we stay here again...........absolutely, in a heart beat we would!

All the best P & J x

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Tag2001
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanrwst
The Eagles Hotel
#1 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Castle Hotel
Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Conwy

Been to Maenan Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!