“Beautiful country house, little tired but lovely staff”
Review of Maenan Abbey Hotel

Maenan Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Llanrwst
Dorking, Surrey
“Beautiful country house, little tired but lovely staff”
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Maenan Abbey Hotel for one night as we were attending a family funeral and all B&Bs we tried would not let us book for just one night,e a Friday night.

We arrived too early for check-in but a lovely lady member of staff immediately showed us up to another room so we could get changed and refreshed before the funeral. She then booked us into a lovely four poster room with jacuzzi bath.

Although the hotel was a little tired in places and the room a little dusty the building and gardens were absolutely beautiful and the staff were amazingly kind and could not do enough for you. The bar area was very nice and the breakfast the next morning was plentiful and good. I wouldn't be put off by some of the negative reviews given. The room was pretty clean if a little dusty, the bed linen was fresh and the bed very comfy. We had a very good and quiet night's sleep.

If you are able to overlook a little bit of dust you will have a very enjoyable and relaxing stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank jen40

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Not very often I will bother to put pen to paper as it were; however I / we just recently stayed at the Maenan Abbey Hotel, Llanrwst, Wales, for a couple of nights.
Reason we stayed here was push the boat out a little and get away from the usual Premier and Travel in however this stay left me / us disappointed and wished that we had go for the Premier and or travel in after all.

Ok ……. here we go .......

1 Magnificent house and surroundings only ruined but the view out of the bedroom window of room 08 by a stone wall and a field fill of caravans and down below the scruffy back yard that had what looked like a primordial pond that backed onto the kitchen below.

2 I can only imagine it was because but we were sleeping over the kitchen but I was kept up until 3 in the morning be the regular low droning noise coming from below what with that and a very uncomfortable bed made for what was one of the worst night sleep in a hotel.

3 As we all do when we get to a room we inspect so that we know where everything is etc……… on inspection the carpet was grubby and did not look as if it has been vacuumed properly for some time to the extent that it had stains in it and a pin was found it the foot of the bed.
In presentation of the said pin to housekeeping she immediately apologized most profoundly and accepted full responsibility as the housekeeper.
The shower head was a big pan type that dribbled water out of it and it took ages to get the temperature right and eventually gave up in the end and had a tepid warm shower.

4 Other issue I had was that there was not obvious advice as to where to muster in the event of a fire, usually you have a room pack of fire muster point instructions on the back of the door etc but none were found and to my mind (unless they are exempt) this is not a minor oversight as it’s an old building which is predominantly built of wood.

5 The staff were all amenable and approachable however with one noticeable slip of professionalism from the barman on our last evening I was at the bar area with wife two daughter and there close friend when the bar man was having a conversation with a younger member of the watering staff and having a chatting about how the younger man has had a night out on nearby Bangor and how good it was.
The conversation concluded in the barman blurting out the word “Bast ard”! Which he thought he had had got away with, but no, I chose not to draw attention to it because of the company I was in.

6 My wife and I are both asthmatic and we have no choice but to keep away from coated animals however in this hotel the animal have free rein to go where ever it seems.
On first couple of minutes of arrival (much to the manager’s embarrassment who tried to make lit of it) it was noted the house dog (an old Spaniel or Spaniel cross, I’m no expert) was roaming around the dining area at will.
And worse, the dogs best friend a cat was seen twice actually sitting siting on the bar itself and staff stroking it and accepting that it was OK for it to be there, this has to be a health and safety issue!

7 Out of all this the one thing that made the Maenan Abbey Hotel stand out was the quality and speed of the food that was being made “Outstanding”.
This has to be down to a half decent chef and a equally decent waiting staff with good etiquette.
It’s true to say that the menu is not over extensive however in my my opinion “it’s better to do a little write than a whole lot wrong” no point over stretching on the menu making for slow service and stresses the kitchen more and effecting the quality.
Portions aren't big but “what was there was good”!

It is true to say that I have been lucky enough in my time to have stayed and at one time lived in some of the best hotels during the time I was living in the Middle East (namely United Arab Emirates) and it is fair to say that their budgets extend a lot further than those available to the management at the Maenan Abbey Hotel so taking this into consideration the kitchen staff and Chef should be proud of the quality of the covers.
Even my wife as an ex chef commented favorably on the food “and she don’t do that easily folks”

On a closing note ……… The Maenan Abbey Hotel is apparently listed as an AA 3 star I personally would suggest that one if not two of the three stars were gained through the quality of food from the kitchen!

Good points
Quality of Food, ample free parking, free in room Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi week at best when working but went on to fail on the second night, I did over hear that there was some technical difficulty) magnificent listed building, beautiful wooded surroundings, amenable responsive and tentative staff.

Bad Points
No fire musters point information, three evening menus found between the two half of our party all three menus were different …. “no consistency”, lack luster housekeeping, animals allowed to roam freely and at will, Bar staff openly swearing in the earshot of guests, uncomfortable beds, all night noises from kitchen keeping guests awake and poor shower (room 08 and 14).

As amenable as all the staff were our stay here was meant to be treat but it left us in no doubt that with we will not be returning, if we did it would be for the food and not a good night’s sleep.

Overall ........"Looks good on the web site but better than it actually is for real, had rather a disappointing experience" ......... marks out of 5 ....... 2.25 between poor an average.

Room Tip: keep away from room 8 and 14
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank Andrew P
Llangefni, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We booked the "luxury suite". This is a very dated, shabby establishment. I don't mind that, but I do mind that the rooms had not been cleaned (the bed had been changed though), the bathroom had urine on the floor, dirt around the Jacuzzi, excrement in the toilet brush. No television due to no digital signal. When I activated the Jacuzzi, a foul sewerage smelling substance was splashed all over my legs. This is worrying. Breakfast was served by a very helpful lady, but we were told that "the Chef will say no to a request for mushrooms with a dish not normally served". The mushrooms is not an issue; the issue is the inflexibility of the chef to provide for his customer. It turns out that the Chef is also The Manager/Director. When I stated upon checking out that I was not prepared to pay the extra £25 that the staff member had told me was extra for the Jacuzzi (when I booked on the telephone),I was told that I would have a £10 discount!!! After a lengthy discussion with the very helpful lady (only one doing any work there) and several visits to the kitchen, I agreed to pay for a double room. The Manager refused to speak to me. I wouldn't recommend this place to ANYONE! There were other issues, such as the room smelling of old fat as it was placed above the kitchen. I could go on for ages, but I should imagine that you have got the idea by now... We had left the car in a lovely hotel down the road (wedding) and had to walk a mile & 1/4 down a busy road the next day as taxis weren't available. Hotel staff not helpful when asked if they could take us with payment for fuel. Having said that, that was my problem.

Room Tip: Go to Plas Maenan, a mile down the road. That's lovely!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Donna J
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The initial impression of the hotel was good, when it came to eating in the restaurant we found the menu uninspiring, with a tendency towards neuvo cuisine, but only in portion size, after two nights we found eating out preferable as there was no alternative to the set menu, when it came to breakfast there was no deviation from the menu i.e if you asked for scrambled egg and not poached we were told " oh I don't think so I will have to ask the chef" it seems like the staff were afraid to ask the chef to change anything, even though it said at the bottom of the menu you had the option to choose to change the choice, we found the staff to be very friendly, although the rooms were reasonably clean there was a dead fly on the window sill when I arrived and it was still there when I left three days later also I found broken glass on my bathroom floor which I almost trod on, there seems to be a lack of desire to clean windows or glass which somewhat spoils the view from inside, the reason we chose to stay there is because three years ago we came across the hotel when we were looking for somewhere to eat as the food was excellent, and the owners there showed us the newly refurbished rooms, we understand that the hotel is now under new management that don't seem to meet the standards or passions of the past.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Clifford B
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This is a most impressive building on the main road into Llanrwst. We just called in for a drink because we assumed that it would be far too expensive to eat there,
The chaps in the bar were really friendly and they know how to serve drinks properly.
The atmosphere was good so we looked at the menu and decided to stay for dinner. It was excellent value! The best evening meal we had during our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Sally R
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Medium range hotel in a wonderful location
The manager was charming and helpful and the young members of staff were well organised and polite
We would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to any of our friends

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Springwell83
Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

money.We have eaten at Maenan well over 100 times have stayed at the hotel on numerous occasions and cannot praise David and his team highly enough .We look forward to going back soon from Carole and Roy Kearey

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Llanrwst
The Meadowsweet Hotel
#1 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed
Royal Oak Hotel
Royal Oak Hotel
#3 of 7 in Betws-y-Coed

Been to Maenan Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!