“August Bank Holiday 2014”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Maenan Abbey Hotel

Maenan Abbey Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Llanrwst
Didcot, United Kingdom
“August Bank Holiday 2014”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We travelled to Maenan as a party of three - one carnivore plus two vegetarians, and all cat people. We arrived in late afternoon, were greeted by a beautiful cat and human staff who took our bags to our rooms.
The whole place was clean and comfortable and the food good with plenty of bread and veg with the meals. A wide menu choice was offered for breakfast.
Our room would have been better had it had more storage for clothing and travel goods.
The bathroom, though adequate, could have done with attention from a plumber as the shower mixer appeared to be on its last legs and the handset slider fixed seven feet from the base.
Some grab handles would have made things easier for elderly people. There were no shelves to keep toiletries on - just the window sill over the loo, but a heated towel rail and good supply of towels was appreciated.
The image of the hotel could be improved by removing the 'clutter' from the passageways and by having a guide in each room on fire precautions, phone use,etc.
The staff all got top marks from us.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Len D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

As regular visitors to the restaurant I feel the need to refute some of the comments below.
The food is always excellent and the comment regarding having to wait in the bar shows the lack of experience of the person who posted!
Having your order taken in the bar area is the old and in my opinion elegant part of the evening. This is how things used to be done before fast food took over the word!!!
No, the portion sizes are not huge, this new notion that large equates to good is another modern phenomenon, indeed we have found that there is on occasion more than ample food.
The staff are always polite and hardworking and yes the cats are part of the charm.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Karen C
Altrincham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Was somewhat flummoxed by some of the negative reviews below. Why stay in a pet friendly hotel and then complain about dogs and the resident cats?!. As for the viewfrom the window being a caravan park - this is an exclusive, well maintained park so don't be put off. You can't please all the people all of the time and everyone is entitled to their opinions, however misguided and rather unfair. Yes we all have different standards but working in the customer service department of one of the country's most prestigious retailers, I like to think that mine are relatively high. However, I digress.... We booked a two night stay as a treat for my husband's 60th birthday and it was very memorable, for all the right reasons. We also took along our 12 year old Yorkie, who was extremely well catered for and given a very sweet welcome pack! This was a new experience for all of us and we will definitely be back. The rooms were clean and comfortable with every facility you would expect. We were in a smoking room (a rarity these days but great for us) and a dog friendly room and had we not known this before, there was definitely no lingering odour of previous smokers or their four legged companions! The food was absolutely superb and I was so happy to find Eggs Benedict on the breakfast menu, my favourite. The three course dinners were unbelievable for the price, lovely presentation and adequate portion sizes. My only negative point is that the bar is not in keeping with the rest of the establishment. We used to drink in there some 15 years ago when we were owned a caravan on the caravan park and it was more olde worldy. However, there is also a comfortable lounge for prinkys or after dinner relaxation. The setting of the grounds and surrounding area is breath taking. On my recommendation, a colleague of mine, husband and dog have booked for the end of August and I hope they enjoy it as much as we did. The staff were attentive, polite and hardworking and to be honest we really couldn't have asked for more. Compliments to the chef. A fantastic mini break. Thank you.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank judgejudij
Muscat, Oman
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We arrived to check in and the bar man greeted us. He seems a very nice man , but dealing with everything. I felt very sorry for him.
The room ( number 6, honeymoon suite) .
Only one word awful. Dead flowers, only one towel, and decidedly dirty.
Bathroom with towel paper lurking in the loo, sink with hairs and toothpaste stains.
Carpet and tiles had never seen a Hoover or mop for years I reckon.
The view, a caravan park and a grotty pond, with a dog doing its business and staff swearing.
I asked to see the manager, but he was not there and did not return until after the stated time.
Needless to say hell would freeze over before I would return there.
It saddens me to write such a negative review, but needs must.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Kampa64
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stayed at the hotel for three nights on a special offer. We were very impressed by how lovely the building and surroundings were. The staff were all very helpful and nothing was too much trouble for them. However, there appeared to be a staff shortage with one person running around trying to do everything. The manager was noticeable by his absence. We tried to order some drinks at 4.30pm and were told we could only have bottles because the barman was cleaning the pipes and that was the only time he had available to do it. Surely this should have been done in the morning. Also, one evening we were not allowed to use the guest lounge because the manager had booked the room out to a private party.
Arrangements for dining were very poor as you had to wait in the bar and order your meal there and wait until "the restaurant was ready for you". On the first night, we waited for an hour to be seated even though we had booked the meal for 6pm. The food overall was fairly good but the portions were very small, especially the vegetables.
Although the rooms appeared to be clean, our shower cubicle was a bit grubby. The beds were very hard and uncomfortable. The person in the next room snored all night and kept us awake. The noise from the passing traffic also contributed to a bad night's sleep.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank chrislily
Dorking, Surrey
Reviewed 11 July 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Maenan Abbey Hotel for one night as we were attending a family funeral and all B&Bs we tried would not let us book for just one night,e a Friday night.

We arrived too early for check-in but a lovely lady member of staff immediately showed us up to another room so we could get changed and refreshed before the funeral. She then booked us into a lovely four poster room with jacuzzi bath.

Although the hotel was a little tired in places and the room a little dusty the building and gardens were absolutely beautiful and the staff were amazingly kind and could not do enough for you. The bar area was very nice and the breakfast the next morning was plentiful and good. I wouldn't be put off by some of the negative reviews given. The room was pretty clean if a little dusty, the bed linen was fresh and the bed very comfy. We had a very good and quiet night's sleep.

If you are able to overlook a little bit of dust you will have a very enjoyable and relaxing stay.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank jen40
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Not very often I will bother to put pen to paper as it were; however I / we just recently stayed at the Maenan Abbey Hotel, Llanrwst, Wales, for a couple of nights.
Reason we stayed here was push the boat out a little and get away from the usual Premier and Travel in however this stay left me / us disappointed and wished that we had go for the Premier and or travel in after all.

Ok ……. here we go .......

1 Magnificent house and surroundings only ruined but the view out of the bedroom window of room 08 by a stone wall and a field fill of caravans and down below the scruffy back yard that had what looked like a primordial pond that backed onto the kitchen below.

2 I can only imagine it was because but we were sleeping over the kitchen but I was kept up until 3 in the morning be the regular low droning noise coming from below what with that and a very uncomfortable bed made for what was one of the worst night sleep in a hotel.

3 As we all do when we get to a room we inspect so that we know where everything is etc……… on inspection the carpet was grubby and did not look as if it has been vacuumed properly for some time to the extent that it had stains in it and a pin was found it the foot of the bed.
In presentation of the said pin to housekeeping she immediately apologized most profoundly and accepted full responsibility as the housekeeper.
The shower head was a big pan type that dribbled water out of it and it took ages to get the temperature right and eventually gave up in the end and had a tepid warm shower.

4 Other issue I had was that there was not obvious advice as to where to muster in the event of a fire, usually you have a room pack of fire muster point instructions on the back of the door etc but none were found and to my mind (unless they are exempt) this is not a minor oversight as it’s an old building which is predominantly built of wood.

5 The staff were all amenable and approachable however with one noticeable slip of professionalism from the barman on our last evening I was at the bar area with wife two daughter and there close friend when the bar man was having a conversation with a younger member of the watering staff and having a chatting about how the younger man has had a night out on nearby Bangor and how good it was.
The conversation concluded in the barman blurting out the word “Bast ard”! Which he thought he had had got away with, but no, I chose not to draw attention to it because of the company I was in.

6 My wife and I are both asthmatic and we have no choice but to keep away from coated animals however in this hotel the animal have free rein to go where ever it seems.
On first couple of minutes of arrival (much to the manager’s embarrassment who tried to make lit of it) it was noted the house dog (an old Spaniel or Spaniel cross, I’m no expert) was roaming around the dining area at will.
And worse, the dogs best friend a cat was seen twice actually sitting siting on the bar itself and staff stroking it and accepting that it was OK for it to be there, this has to be a health and safety issue!

7 Out of all this the one thing that made the Maenan Abbey Hotel stand out was the quality and speed of the food that was being made “Outstanding”.
This has to be down to a half decent chef and a equally decent waiting staff with good etiquette.
It’s true to say that the menu is not over extensive however in my my opinion “it’s better to do a little write than a whole lot wrong” no point over stretching on the menu making for slow service and stresses the kitchen more and effecting the quality.
Portions aren't big but “what was there was good”!

It is true to say that I have been lucky enough in my time to have stayed and at one time lived in some of the best hotels during the time I was living in the Middle East (namely United Arab Emirates) and it is fair to say that their budgets extend a lot further than those available to the management at the Maenan Abbey Hotel so taking this into consideration the kitchen staff and Chef should be proud of the quality of the covers.
Even my wife as an ex chef commented favorably on the food “and she don’t do that easily folks”

On a closing note ……… The Maenan Abbey Hotel is apparently listed as an AA 3 star I personally would suggest that one if not two of the three stars were gained through the quality of food from the kitchen!

Good points
Quality of Food, ample free parking, free in room Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi week at best when working but went on to fail on the second night, I did over hear that there was some technical difficulty) magnificent listed building, beautiful wooded surroundings, amenable responsive and tentative staff.

Bad Points
No fire musters point information, three evening menus found between the two half of our party all three menus were different …. “no consistency”, lack luster housekeeping, animals allowed to roam freely and at will, Bar staff openly swearing in the earshot of guests, uncomfortable beds, all night noises from kitchen keeping guests awake and poor shower (room 08 and 14).

As amenable as all the staff were our stay here was meant to be treat but it left us in no doubt that with we will not be returning, if we did it would be for the food and not a good night’s sleep.

Overall ........"Looks good on the web site but better than it actually is for real, had rather a disappointing experience" ......... marks out of 5 ....... 2.25 between poor an average.

Room Tip: keep away from room 8 and 14