“Quirky but very nice”

Cuisines: Mediterranean, British
Colwyn Bay, United Kingdom
“Quirky but very nice”
Reviewed 28 April 2013

My wife recently needed to take a trip to Llangerynw on a slightly overcast Sunday morning. Having never been to Llangernyw before, and knowing I'll probably never have reason to go there again in the future, I went along for the ride along with the kids. Llangernyw was not surprisingly a little on the dull side on a Sunday morning, however the road from Llanrwst and back was noticeably twisty so by the time we got back to Llanrwst we all felt the need for a break, a bit of fresh air and a drink. What we hadn't realised was that the Llanrwst half marathon was taking place on the day in question so the town was exceptionally busy for a Sunday and a result the cafes were all more or less full. We did however manage to find a spare table in La Barrica, just next to the front window.

Inside it's quite a small place and I'd describe it as being a little quirky with lots of wood panelling and interesting ornaments. The seating was a little uncomfortable to be honest but maybe that's to ensure customers don't clog up tables by dragging out a cup of coffee for a hour! There's more seating outside in the Square which I'd guess doubles the capacity so they must wake up each day praying for decent weather.

We ordered between us one Americano, one tea and two milkshakes along with a selection of home made cakes. The Americano was excellent, on the small side but quality won over quantity. The tea was good quality Twinings and the milkshakes went down very well with the kids, especially as they were served with curly straws. The cakes were all very good, if I had to choose again I'd go for the scone with jam and clotted cream.

This is certainly somewhere I'd visit again, and perhaps next time try out the Thai soup with prawns I spotted on the menu.....

• Visited April 2013
2 Thank ArthurBrainCell

Deganwy, United Kingdom
“A Veritable Coffee Oasis.”
Reviewed 6 April 2013 via mobile

La Barrica is one of those rare gems that's tucked away on Llanrwst Town Square. More often than not people drive through this little market town on their way to Bettws which is the walking gateway to the Snowdonia National Park. So dont miss this place next time!! La Barrica offers excellent coffee and home made food. I had a small cooked breakfast and an americano coffee and I thoroughly enjoyed both. The owner and her barista were really friendly and chatty and there was some lovely music playing very lightly in the background. The tables were outside but I decided to eat indoors as it was still a bit chilly in the breeze and the tables were occupied anyway. I WILL definitely be going there again!!!

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank Peter M
“A little gem offering wonderful homemade food and cakes”
Reviewed 4 April 2013

I visited this delightful little cafe as it was recommended by a friend (I'd driven past it many a time before in the past but had never stopped) and i was not disappointed.

They offer a wide selection of dishes and snacks to suit everyone from homemade soups to euthentic italian meatballs and considering the quality of the food the prices are excellent.

The staff were helpful, polite and willing to help me find exactly what I was looking for on the menu...pesto chicken nachos. .delicious!

The decor inside the cafe is like being on the continent and not at all what you expect when looking from the outside. A visit to the wc is a must as it is situated in the most enchanting little area with a fish pond and fountain and adds to the quirkiness of the place.

I found my visit to be everything my friend had described and more and would strongly recommend anyone who appreciates good quality coffee, homemade food and cakes and scones to die for, to give the place a visit as you won't be disappointed.

• Visited September 2012
4 Thank elscot15
“nice place , pity about the loo.”
Reviewed 23 August 2012 via mobile

La Barrica is in fact in the square, LLanwrst, and not LLangernyw. In any event , my comments are about La Barrica in Llanwrst.

This is a delightful medittareanean style bistro, serving wonderful coffee and light snacks and meals, in delightful surroundings.

A visit here is one of life's pleasures .

There is only one snag. The provision of a shared handtowel in the washroom is really not acceptable in days when driers or paper towels are the industry standard. Moreover , an abrupt and curt response when this is poliely pointed out is not acceptable either . The retort that one could
use toilet paper to dry one's hands is ridiculous.This is not a cheap place , - why should it be , but these elements of the service offered need immediate revision.

1 Thank curmudgeon123