“good pizza nice service”

Pizza Express - Hill Street
Ranked #187 of 313 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$1 - US$51
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I went here with the kids this week as they love the pizzas. We were not let down, and they loved the booths where you can play your own music. Service was good, great for families

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I'm sure most people have visited a pizza express at some point or another and got to expect a usual standard if service, especially being a chain restaurant that I am sure has guidelines on customer service/food etc which is why I was surprised and disappointed at my experience in the richmond branch.

We were left waiting a long time in the door way even thought there wasn't a queue. A waitress made eye contact with us three times but didn't even ask us to hold on apologise for the wait.

The bad service continued from there with long waits for our orders to be taken and the food arriving even though it wasn't busy in the restaurant and there were plenty of staff on hand.

My side didn't arrive so I chased this up, was nodded at with no verbal response from a surly waitress and clearly ignored as the side never came. The food was mediocre and service slow and 'slap-dash'.

To top this off, I emailed pizza express head office in January, had a generic reply come through 11 days later saying I would be responded to in 28 days (bit of a long wait, must have a lot of complaint emails to deal with!) and heard nothing more. I chased this up after the 28 day period and still have heard nothing. I have now been waiting upwards of 50 days to get a simple acknowledgement or apology from a human being.

If you can't get good service in the restaurant nor from the head office, it is clear they don't value their customers. I am left severely unimpressed with the whole situation and wont be returning.

1  Thank Rpickett18
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Went here using the tesco vouchers on a deal, and must admit I was pleasantly surprised. It's a big restaurant and in a modern style which could make it look a bits less attractive to couples. We were a 5 and had kids in the party so it fitted us fine. I'm not a great pizza person in the main but the food was excellent, the dough balls were brilliant and the various pizzas we had were great, very thin base. The puddings were huge, and the service was good. All in all a great place to go, just don't expect a traditional old world pizza place it's not that but still good.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We called in here after a few drinks & post Xmas-shopping trip . It was a freezing cold night and we were not in the mood to wander far.

Firstly its on the large side and surely one of the bigger chain Italian places in town. The décor is modern and we were seated at a booth style table. A touch I liked was the showing [ silently ] of old Black and White Italian movies - maybe its in context with the Art deco style of the building itself.

Our food was good - I had a Risotto starter and we both had Pizza's. However my wife ordered a Gluten free version and top marks to Pizza Express for catering to this particular requirement.

The service was friendly and OK-ish. Mark off though for the waitress taking the chili oil off our table when I wasn't finished with it . The salt police rule here clearly and you have to ask for it
[ or we did anyhow ] but noticed that there appeared to be none on other tables.

Finally I do agree with the suggestion from a previous reviewer if there might be an Adults/couple area - its certainly big enough - and that would keep everyone happy.

Reviewed 14 September 2013

Have been to many Pizza Express Restaurants around the area and thought it would be worth a try to visit Richmond's for some lunch with friends. It is a massive restaurant, maybe 4 times the size of what I am used to, but staff were still very attentive and focused meanwhile welcoming. The food is consistently mouth-watering and I am considering putting a whole day aside where I can just binge out on heaps of calzone, cheesy garlic bread and cheesecake from Pizza Express to fix my ongoing cravings since visiting last week.
I see there are some very harsh reviews but I really believe it depends on where you go and what you expect. Pizza Express is not trying to be fine dining so don't go expecting fillet steaks and dauphinoise potatoes. But if you order something with cheese I guarantee it will be melted and stringy :) The dough that they use is so morish!!
Also happy for a good choice of wine on the menu, thank you.