“An Authentic Italian Experience”

Al Boccon Di'vino is Non Solo Vino
Ranked #2 of 302 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$40 - US$159
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I was told that you have to book weeks in advance, I called up on a week day and got a booking for the same evening.
The restaurant is located very close to Richmond Bridge. It has a very warm and cozy feel, there was not a spare table, so I was lucky.
Your only choice for the evening is to choose the wine, the eight course are served to everybody regardless of your likes and dislikes. If you are allergic to any type of food, this is not the place for you. If you like, or want to experience wholesome Italian family cooking then you have come to the right place. The waiters and owners are all there serving you, making it a family event. The main course (a meat dish) is paraded around the restaurant for all to gaze at it.
It is not cheap at 45 pounds a head + wine, coffee etc. but well worth the splurge. My only criticism, and I am trying hard here, is the restaurant is small, and there are so many tables everybody is jammed in close together, you could not add another chair if you tried. This said, it adds to the atmosphere.

2  Thank AvidTraveler12

Reviewed 11 August 2014

You have to call them up a few months in advance for dinner on a weekend. Be warned that there is a bit of a language barrier, so it can be quite hard to communicate with them over the phone! We visited as a party of 4 people on a Friday night. Many of the tables are in blocks of 6, and we were extremely close to our neighbouring table of 2 people. The restaurant is loud and lively enough so that you don’t have to worry about being so close to your neighbours, although it is certainly more suitable for a group outing.

As there is a fixed menu every day, all diners are told to come in at 7:30pm, but no worries if you are a bit late, they will catch you up with the others over the course of the evening. Many people have commented on the large quantity of food, however most of the courses were fairly small (similar to what you may find on a tasting menu). The main course is more substantial and comes as either lamb or pork. On this particular day it happened to be pork. Three of our table did not eat pork (we had told them upon arrival when they asked about dietary requirements). As a substitute, they gave us grilled langoustines. However, our portion size was laughable – it was a single plate of langoustines in the shell to be shared between three people. Once de-shelled, this turned out to be a really tiny amount of food. On top of that, it tasted pretty average. There were no accompaniments for us either, whereas the pork was served with a portion of potatoes. We certainly felt a bit cheated on the main course, and I left the restaurant still feeling hungry! That aside, most of the courses were excellent in terms of flavour.

We tried both the red and white house wine, and both were pretty good, but at £25 per bottle I felt they were a bit overpriced for house wine. The food comes at a fixed price of £45 per person. Service charge is not automatically added to your bill, so it’s at your discretion. On the whole, I can certainly see the appeal of this restaurant. It offers something different and feels very authentic. My primary complaint was their mishandling of our dietary requirements. If we had received a proper-sized portion of lamb (or whatever else) as the main course that tasted as good as everything else, I probably would have awarded them a fifth star!

Tip: there is limited parking outside the restaurant (about 6-8 parking bays). It seems tricky to park around Richmond in general, and we took about 15 min to find a space. In the end, we snagged the last space at a parking lot along Friars Lane (free parking in the evenings). So if you are driving down, allow yourself extra time to find parking.

2  Thank ishan23
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Just had their new lamb chops made with honey and fresh mint for lunch with my wife and son. Fantastic. We were fighting over the last chop!! Love this restaurant. Can't wait to return...

1  Thank JefferyWest
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My in-laws love this place and we go for family occasions.
All of the diners are to be seated by a set time as dinner is then a continuous service and the front door is closed to all others! The food starts coming out and about 3 hours later it comes to a conclusions. All varieties of Italian food are brought out, with a big animal normally paraded around the restaurant (I say restaurant, it's basically just a room with lots of tables in, probably seats 40..?) and everyone chats.
The food is exquisite and always complimented with a wine or fizz. The scallops in particular are gorgeous!
The owners are rowdy and the atmosphere is loud and full of people having a wonderful time, it really is a fantastic place and needs to be experienced to appreciate what I'm saying.
It isn't cheap but the food quality and quantity is superb and well worth saving for.

All round brilliance.

Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Came for dinner with another couple (4 of us in total) and it was as good (if not better) than friends had said. Incredible food, great wine. Perfect for a night out. Not sure if I'd go as a couple (quite close to other tables!) but I definitely want to go again with friends!