“Wedding Night(mare)”

Richmond Hill Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I group booked several rooms for this hotel for my wedding as the ceremony was in Richmond Park. My husband and I also decided to spend our wedding night there so we could have breakfast with family the next morning and also use the bar once the wedding reception finished at 11pm.

They didn't particularly treat us specially despite us bringing quite a lot of business their way that weekend. We were told we wouldn't necessarily be able to check in early despite check in time being later than the time our wedding started and our guests were told they could get ready in the gym changing room. This is understandable, but then they put us in what seemed to be the smallest room in the hotel. I'd describe it more as a cupboard than a bedroom. There was barely room for my wedding dress.

Meanwhile in my brother's room, his shower had very little water pressure and he described it as a dribble of water. He also found a pair of old knickers under the bed which hadn't been cleaned out.

My sister's room - She booked a family room for 4 as she has two small children aged 2 and 3. The 'family' room was situated directly above a function room, whose booming music was thumping through the ceiling until 1am. Hardly the place for small children. I'm unsure why they have a family room in this location. When she complained, the said they'd ask the function room to turn the bass down but this did little to nothing.

No one else complained, although some also said their rooms were very small.

The reception is fairly deceiving and makes the place look much more plush than it is. Don't be fooled.

Breakfast was nice but the staff got confused about coffee and tea orders.

This place is absolutely not worth the money you pay and is not worthy of its 4 star rating. I would never use it again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LauraBirtwell
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear Laura,

Thank you for your review of your time spent with us recently. It is always disappointing to know that our guests did not enjoy their time with us particularly on such a special occasion.

We always try and accommodate any guest requests for their bedroom preference, or recognise a special occasion. This becomes harder to accommodate when the hotel is already fully booked. The Hotel was running at full occupancy during your time with us and we therefore did not have the opportunity to upgrade you. We could only allocate your group those room types booked.

I sincerely apologise for the lapse in housekeeping standard not to have noticed articles from a previous guest and reassure you that is a most rare occurrence.

Our customer service is normally our strength throughout the building and we focus on exceeding guest expectation and provide friendly and professional service. Please let me apologise that this was not the case for you and let me re-assure you that I have shared your service comments with the team.

I would of course love you to have happier memories of your time here at the Hotel. With this in mind if you would like to return to the Hotel please contact me directly and I will be sure to facilitate a larger room for your stay.

Diane Tapner -Evans

Write a ReviewReviews (1,562)

Reviewed 29 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for a friends wedding recently, hotel decor is lovely, rooms are a little small but clean with comfy beds. Walls are thin; you can hear people in the corridor and stairs creeking. Staff were friendly & attentive at reception.

Breakfast wasn't so good, the usual buffet style except they kept running out of things and there was no rush to replace them. Waited 10 minutes for an egg & some beans to go with my bacon, sausage etc except there were so many people waiting all the eggs went before I could get one... Also tea/coffee was slow being served.

Overall not bad, more like 3* than 4* on this occasion.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Kris

Thank you for completing a review of your time spent with us at Richmond Hill Hotel.

I am delighted to inform you that in the New Year we are undergoing a significant refurbishment. We are looking to improve the size of some of our rooms, the facilities within, the insulation and DB rating of each bedroom. In addition we are adding new windows and lighting to improve our "Carbon footprint".

I am disappointed to read that breakfast service was stilted during your stay. We use a buffet system to try and ensure we have plenty of choice and availability. I am sorry to read that items ran short; we have discussed this as a team to ensure we rectify this moving forward.

I do hope you return to Richmond Hill Hotel, and perhaps try one of our "new rooms" due to be completed by June.

Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights for a wedding in richmond park. Great location as close to park with great views across to the river just a short walk. About 8 min walk into Richmond also. If you need any supplies for your room there is a convenience store just around the corner if you follow the road to the right. The Roebuck pub is to the right of the hotel and I would favour this for food as it was very good. Room in Hotel was smart and contemporary. Gym, pool and hydrotherapy sauna and stream were very good and smart. Bar good and staff friendly open till very late. Restaurant was ok, a bit pricey for dinner. Breakfast was included and was very nice indeed. Parking is £5 a night which seemed good for London. Staff were friendly Attentive and helpful. Rooms were all quite different owing to the age and layout but I was very happy with mine. My brother spent one night in a ground floor studio which was only suitable for one person which was quite noisy as it was in a corridor which linked the restaurant to the reception. Hotel used for conferences and weddings but it never seemed overly busy. Would recommend and stay again.

Stayed: October 2013
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 October 2013

Dear Akira

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your time spent with us at Richmond Hill Hotel. It reads as if you truly enjoyed your time spent both at the Hotel and in the local surrounding area. We are lucky to have a Hotel positioned in such an enviable location and it is wonderful to read how you made the most of our position.
I do hope you return,

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Stayed here for one night on business. Staff very friendly at checkin/out and breakfast. Room amenities were very good and the building was quiet. The building is a VERY off layout but I think that adds to the experience.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, I am delighted you enjoyed your time at Richmond Hill Hotel. It is refreshing to read that you found the layout added to your stay, it definitely makes the building more characterful. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Diane Tapner Evans

Reviewed 20 October 2013

Classy, independent hotel.
First-rate service from the staff, who are a credit to the hotel - every query we had was dealt with in a helpful and professional manner.

The location is at the top of Richmond Hill, a good 20-30 minutes walk uphill from the nearest tube/ rail station. However, if you can afford to stay here, you probably don't mind paying for a taxi.
We drove here. The car park seemed to have enough spaces for all guests, so I couldn't quite understand why the hotel charges £6 to park here? This didn't fit in with the rest of the service from the hotel, and was my only (minor) gripe.

The hotel is well located if you want to explore Richmond Park (1 minute's walk up the road), or the Thames riverside path (5 minutes walk down the hill.)
We walked to the riverside on both days, visiting the National Trust's 'Ham House', and also taking a boat-trip up the river.
There are many good restaurants, pubs and cafes in the centre of Richmond, which are very popular on a sunny weekend.

The room was clean, spacious and well appointed, with a very welcome balcony, especially as we were staying during a heatwave.
Rooms were well-insulated from noise. We didn't hear a peep from anyone else all night, even though there was a wedding reception in the hotel.

There are lifts available if you are mobility impaired (or if you just don't like walking up and down stairs. )

For those who do enjoy plenty of exercise, the health club is superb, with a pleasant swimming pool and well-kept facilities.

Note - if you head down to the pool half-asleep and bleary eyed for a pre-breakfast swim, double-check which door takes you back to the correct changing room. I managed to walk into the wrong one. I'd like to offer my apologies to the ladies who were in there, who were probably as surprised as I was.

Following a swift exit, I didn't want to make the same mistake twice, so I walked right round the building to find the front door of the correct changing room.
I offer further apologies to the staff who may have wondered if that tired-looking bloke had lost the plot as well as his sense of direction, as he left a trail of wet footprints through the corridor. He hadn't. He was just half asleep, short-sighted and rather embarrassed.

Luckily I managed to find my way back to my room without further mishap.

Breakfast was excellent, with exemplary service from the staff again.

We didn't have dinner here or drink in the bar, so I can't comment on these.

All in all, an enjoyable stay at a lovely hotel. Recommended.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an outstanding detailed review of your time spent with us at Richmond Hill Hotel.

I was very happy to read your excellent comments on the team and have made sure they have seen your review, as our guest feedback means a lot to them.

The location, fabulous river view and extensive leisure facilities does help to make a stay special and I am glad you had time to fully appreciate what both the Hotel and surrounding area has to offer.

Hopefully you have reason to travel to Richmond again soon and we will be your Hotel of choice.

Reviewed 20 October 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for a friends wedding in the park, so location was perfect.
The room itself was comfortable and had nice decor/ soft furnishings and lighting. The building is old, so poor sound proofing. You can hear people in the corridor quite clearly and the floor is creaky.
Now, the bathroom! It was like an old people's home. Mould on the ceiling and sealant that had been applied about 100 times, I assume to hide old mould. Old bathroom fittings and a nasty grey non-slip bath mad. The shower handle was so stiff, to the point that I had to call reception to call someone to switch it off at half 11 @ night! The staff were friendly and helpful though.
Breakfast is included, so that was a plus. The scrambled eggs were powdered though, which was a shame.
Overall, it was an OK stay.

• Stayed: October 2013
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review of your time spent with us at the weekend. I am most unhappy to read your feedback regarding your bathroom, as I had not heard that the night team had had to assist with a shower. Please would you be so kind as to let me which room you stayed in so I can review with both my housekeeping and maintenance team and ensure no future guest has such a negative experience.

I would like to reassure you that we only use fresh eggs at breakfast and have never used powdered! Perhaps the eggs had separated slightly when sitting on the buffet, we do offer fried, poached or boiled if required.

I look forward to hearing from you and would be delighted to provide you with a complimentary upgrade should you need to visit Richmond Hill again in the future.

kind regards

Diane

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Stayed one night on business in this friendly, well maintained and efficient hotel. Room was excellent, clean and spacious. Only gripe was it took 5 mins for hot water to come on in shower in the morning. Would stay here again and again, why ever leave.....

Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business