“Lovely stay”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Richmond
Newbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely stay”
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Took a last minute break here with my wife. Hotel has lots of character and pleasant views of the Thames through the trees. Rooms were clean and well-appointed and staff very friendly. Our deal came with breakfast (which there was a large choice and well prepared), a bottle of bubbly and car parking. A short walk down the hill into Richmond and the tube in to central London.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Russ,

Thank you for taking the time to review your time spent with us at Richmond Hill Hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your short break and hope you have the opportunity to re visit in 2014.

Merry Christmas

Diane

Diane Tapner-Evans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Last weekend I had organised a Ladies Night at this hotel, using the Ballroom for the event. The Event Planning Supervisor that I dealt with could not have been more helpful and accommodating in the run up to the event.
On the day everything promised was delivered. The waiting staff were presentable, polite and efficient.
Our guests were given a very good rate if they chose to stay at the hotel, which many did including my partner and I. Our room was very clean and tidy. We heard no extraneous noise or creeks as reported by other reviewers.
Prior to leaving on the Sunday morning we availed ourselves of the well stocked and plentiful breakfast buffet. We weren't hurried out. On the contrary whilst we sat there talking to my family prior to going our separate ways we were invited to help our selves to further delights from the buffet.
Overall a very good experience!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Matt S
Dear Matt,

Thank you for such a delightful review of the Hotel. I am aware that organising large events can be very hard, so I am pleased to hear that the team assisted you well throughout. Our Chef and food and beverage team are very proud of the events we deliver. I delighted we exceeded your expectations on the evening.

Breakfast is an important last impression of a Hotels service so I am proud that we also pleased you prior to departure.

I do hope you have the opportunity to bring future events to the Hotel, we are redecorating our beautiful Ballroom in January, and so it would be a pleasure to show you the finished product.

May I take this opportunity in wishing you a wonderful festive holiday and happy 2014.

Diane

Shipley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Well now, I am so surprised at some of the negative reviews for this hotel. From our very first contact with Julie in reservations to our welcome and stay in the 'Terrace' suite we cannot praise our experience enough. We only stayed for one night and all our needs were catered for admirably, in fact I would go further and state that this has been our BEST 4 star hotel experience for a long time. Our luggage was taken to our suite which was clean, nicely designed and decorated and the bed was exceptionally comfortable. Breakfast was self serve and again, one of our finer experiences as the food was fresh,of good quality and nicely cooked, hot and service was provided by cheerful and attentive staff. I do have some sympathy for those involved in the hotel industry; as you can never please all the people all the time, though,for us, this establishment ticked all the boxes and is now our hotel of choice in Richmond -upon-Thames. Our thanks are extended to the staff and management. 9.5/10 Malcolm S Stott

Room Tip: Speak to Julie in reservations.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Dear Mr Stott,

Thank you for this wonderful review of your stay with us at the Richmond Hill Hotel. It is always very uplifting to read that we have ensured our guests have had a memorable experience. The Terrace suite is indeed one of our most beautiful rooms, I am pleased you enjoyed it.

I really appreciate your positive comments regarding the team, the service they provided throughout and the food you experienced in the restaurant.

It is always so rewarding for the team to read that our guests will definitely be back, we look forward to your visit.

Warm regards and a very happy festive holiday,
Diane Tapner -Evans
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I recently spent 6 days running a training programme in this hotel and along with the twinkling Xmas lights, the staff were amazingly helpful, courteous and very attentive to our needs.
From the event staff, the the catering staff, the bar staff and the restaurant staff to front of house - whoever is managing the hotel now you can be proud of your team. Thankyou fro making a tiring week sparkle even more.

Room Tip: If you are running a training programme or conference you will I am sure get great service. I shall...
Dear Guest

Thank you for such a wonderful review of your meeting experience with us. I am so delighted you enjoyed all your interactions with my team here at the Hotel, I am indeed proud to head such a great bunch of people. A week long stay in a Hotel for business is always tiring, I am delighted you found the team supported you so well during your programme.

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback, it is always much appreciated by all who work here. We hope to welcome you back in the near future, in the meantime a very merry Christmas from us all at Richmond Hill Hotel.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed here for a business meeting. First, the hotel is a maze of stairs and levels. If you travel with a lot of heavy bags or have a hard time getting around just skip this hotel.

Next, the furniture in the rooms is old and cheap (particleboard). The deal breaker for me was the lumpy mattress. I was able to move around and find a comfortable spot, but if you are a couple someone is sleeping on a lump. Some coworkers had similar comments about the mattresses.

Lastly, the floors creak constantly when the person above you is moving around. My first night the person above me was walking around until 2 am and I could hear it all. My room had a big creaky spot that you couldn't miss when you went to the bathroom. Apologies for the person below me who had to hear me get up and walk around.

I would not stay here again. Why not a 2? The staff here are great! Friendly, helpful, courteous,professional. Unfortunately great service can't make up for the shortfalls of this property.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor so you don't have to listen to everyone walk around.
Dear Guest

We are disappointed to read your review about your time spent with us at Richmond Hill Hotel. If you could be so kind as to let me know which room you were in I can review some of your comments to ensure they do not impact any future guests stay.

If you do return to the UK, we would love to restore your faith in our product. We have a new wing being refurbished early next year. This will have a more modern feel perhaps more to your liking than the 200 year old areas of this Georgian Hotel. Some guests love the character these rooms provide, but I understand the unconventional shapes and sizes are not to everyone's liking.

We would be delighted to allocate this area for your next visit with a complimentary upgrade. These rooms are hopefully available from June 2014.

I do hope your return to Richmond Hill Hotel; however in the meantime may I wish you a happy thanks giving and merry Christmas.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Friendly staff, and an excellent location right beside the richmond Parkland. A reasonable walk from the station but sometimes being cooped up inside all day while travelling means you are looking for an excuse to get outside.

Friendly staff and reasonable (if not a little small) rooms. Breakfast was good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear James

Thank you for your review of your time spent with us at Richmond Hill Hotel. I am pleased to read you found the staff and location a highlight.

I do hope you return to stay with us again in the New Year.

Diane Tapner -Evans
Luxembourg
Reviewed 27 November 2013

If you expect no more than a bed for a night then this is OK.
To be fair; staff are all very friendly and helpful but that doesn't make up for what's wrong. Some rooms are very small and most rooms are actuallly dirty. Worn out and dirty carpets don't help to make you feel at home. Best rooms are in the main building (not the annex that is of later construction where rooms are small and poorly decorated) The restaurant kitchen is not bad although it is hard to understand how it can be, as they claim, 'award winning'. As long as the restaurant, or bar, is not busy staff manage to be attentive but once it goes beyond that service becomes very slow. You could wait for your bill for up to half an hour...
Breakfast is not good. Kept-warm, dried out, everything on a buffet and replenishment is slow.

Room Tip: Some rooms are souterrain type and they therefore; have little daylight. If that is important to you...