“Enjoyable night away”

Richmond Hill Hotel
Ranked #4 of 15 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 21 February 2014

We met with other family members for a weekend away in Richmond to celebrate my in-laws 50th wedding anniversary. We had 4 rooms and ages ranging from 4-78 years. We all really enjoyed our stay - all staff were welcoming and accommodating, the atmosphere was friendly and the buffet breakfast had a fantastic choice which suited everyone. The rooms were all lovely and well equipped. Would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CPH15
Write a ReviewReviews (1,599)

999 - 1,005 of 1,600 reviews

Reviewed 18 February 2014

we arrived early at the hotel and were made most welcome by the reception team. even though our room was not ready we could park our car and leave our luggage and explore London for the day. on our return our room was ready and our luggage wating for us! our room was small but perfictly formed. the spa facilities are very good, but best go after 6pm to avoid getting splashed by children. breakfast is superb, spoilt for choice. great base to explore London from Richmond. great value

Room Tip: ask for room at the front to see the Thames
Reviewed 18 February 2014

From the approach to this hotel there is a very impressive facade and the impression of grandeur, however when one enters inside there is a slightly faded interior lacking in atmosphere and luxury. The room was very very small with very little room for two persons to share for a weekend. We had to almost climb over each other to get to the very small cramped bathroom. It was a very disappointing experience. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. This hotel is not 4 four star standard. The cost of breakfast was also very expensive at £12 per person. It would be better for the management to give their customers a room suitable for their needs and to provide a reasonable size room for two persons sharing. When I was checking out I was informed that I could have requested an upgrade but this was not offered to me when I arrived at the hotel. I would not recommend this hotel due to the room size/space issues.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Myself and my partner stayed here as a treat for our anniversary and had a valentines day package. All of the staff were lovely and welcoming and offered to take our bags up for us. The room was lovely, although on the morning that we checked out there was a small leak from one of the pipes in the bathroom but we were reassured this would be sorted before the next guests went in.
We had the afternoon tea which was delicious and the service and atmosphere were great. Would really recommend it! We also had complementary champagne cocktails and canapés as part of the package which were great too as was all of the other food.
We will hopefully be returning in the next 18months or so for wedding reception!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

My partner and I booked to stay at the hotel overnight for Valentines Day, and were extremely disappointed. We booked online and made sure that this included breakfast, and were also informed we would have a glass of champagne and canapés waiting for us in our room. When we arrived we were told that breakfast would be an additional twelve pounds each, and surprisingly there was no champagne or canapés. The receptionist also told us we would be able to rent films through a television service which seemingly didn't exist. We rang the front desk to ask about this and received a mumbling, unclear response about the service no longer existing.

Upon entering our room we saw how noticeably smaller it was compared to the photos on the website. The bed was also extremely itchy and uncomfortable, with what seemed like washing powder or crumbs residing between the sheets. We ended up sleeping on top of the quilt with a blanket over us. The door to the balcony and windows did not open when we tried. We visited the spa the next morning and the steam room wasn't working. We later called reception to book a cab and the cab was twenty minutes later than promised, leaving us sitting in the waiting area twiddling our thumbs and feeling extremely confused. The staff were aware that we were waiting for a cab and looked over at us several times but made no effort to call and ask what was going on or ask if we needed assistance.

All in all an extremely disappointing stay and we won't be returning again. From reading the other reviews it seems that customers who paid more for their rooms received much better service and enjoyed their stay a lot more. You really need to keep ALL customers in mind not just the ones giving you more money.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Laura,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your time booked at Richmond Hill Hotel, I have investigated your very strong comment regarding us "Falsely Advertising" our products at the premises.

Having reviewed your reservation I can confirm that your partner did not book the Valentines package, he made an on line booking for a "BAR" rate which is the best rate available on the day and does not include breakfast. This is why the reception team offered the option of buying breakfast the night before, which is significantly discounted if booked in advance. He also booked a small double, and had asked for an upgrade on the internet booking notes. Unfortunately this is not always available on popular dates such as Valentines, so unfotunately we only had the room available that had been reserved. I hope this explains to you why you were not offered canapes, Kir Royale or breakfast in your rate.

The Hotel stopped providing movies in the room over a year and a half ago, due to them not being perceived as value for money. Instead we upgraded to a 40 plus channel system, with sky sport and BT sport being available in the bar, I am sorry this was not communicated to you effectively at check in.

The beds are often reviewed as being comfy due to our goose down toppers which provide extra padding. I will of course review your room in case the crumbs you felt were some feathers popping through.

I am sorry you were disappointed with your stay and did not feel it was value for money however I do not feel we have mislead you in this instance.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

A well appointed hotel offering promises of grandeur from the outside. Great location with pleasant staff (although we were asked to collect our own coffee/milk when requested extra). However promises of grandeur ended there. The Standard rooms are extremely small and cramped with an equally small bathroom. The only thing that differentiated it from a Travelodge was the curtains! Room very sparse and cramped with very thin walls- could hear everything through walls. Definitely not 4 star Standard Rooms and therefore not worth the £99 per night ! Management might consider advertising standard rooms as budget rooms and charge budget prices to avoid poor reviews. Overpriced and below average! Will not be returning.

Room Tip: Stay away from standard if you are expecting a 4 star room!
2  Thank INTREPID357

Dear Intrepid,

Thank you for your review, it is always disappointing to read that a guest did not enjoy their time with us. I will review your comment regarding the team failing to deliver extra Tea and coffee to your room, service is something that we focus on so disheartening to hear that this was lacking in this instance.

I am sorry you found the room small, we do have standard bedrooms that are smaller in size due to the location and age of the building. A travel lodge does offer a standard size bedroom, in a purpose built block that is the same wherever you go. However they are not usually found housed in such characterful buildings with complimentary access to extensive leisure facilities and in locations as beautiful as ours. I suppose that is the choice the guests makes when booking a room.

I am sorry that we disappointed you on this occasion, perhaps if you return we could look at an alternative room which may be more to your liking.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Our visit to this hotel began with a surprise upgrade from an excecuitive double room to the Cedars suite. The upgraded room had separate lounge, bathroom, walk in wardrobe and bedroom areas. Having looked at the pictures online, I suspect this is the least luxurious of the suites, but never the less it was a lovely room and we were very grateful for the free upgrade. The hotel boasts having extrememly comfortable beds and I can confirm this to be the case. I found all the staff in the hotel to be very friendly and welcoming.

I went for the romantic deal package which entitled us to a 3 course evening meal, a glass of fizz and breakfast. The 3 course meal was good value and I would say we were satisified with the quality overall. The restaurant did lack a little in terms of ambience, as there was only one other couple eating at the same time as us. However, this did mean the service was quick and the food arrived piping hot. I would have liked to have seen better quality cooked meat at breakfast; I have been particularly critical here because of the high standards set elsewhere in the hotel. However, I still enjoyed my breakfast. The range of food on offer was excellent and was well cooked/presented. It is worth noting that breakfast is offered on a self service basis.

The hotel is a 5-10 minute walk down the hill to Richmond. I suspect even elderly guests would be able to manage the walk back up the hill. There are lots of benches and viewing spots (beautiful views looking down on the Thames) to stop for a rest. Richmond Park (in my opinion London's most attractive Parks) is a stones throw away from the hotel.

Hotel guests are given complimentary access to the spa, which is situated immediately behind the hotel. While it did not bother me, it does seem a shame that there is not a sheltered connection between the two for those particularly miserable/cold days. I did not use the gym facilities but I did spend 30minutes in the pool and the adajacent spa pool with water jets. If you really enjoy a good swim you might find the pool a tad small/crowded. It was a little disappointing to find bits of tissue on the floor around the edges of the pool and in the changing rooms. This could have been a one off event or due to a lack of regular cleaning.

I should point out some of the negative points I have brought up were relatively minor issues, and they did not distract from the enjoyment of our visit. I would recommend others stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: If you can get one - it appears that the front of the hotel will have the best views from the top of...
2  Thank Dave_M82

Dear Dave

Thank you for such a comprehensive review of your stay with us at Richmond Hill Hotel, I am really pleased that you found all our comments to be true regarding comfort of our beds and friendliness of our staff, they are indeed our best asset.

The location of our Hotel, on top of a hill, offers some great panoramic vistas of the Thames and surrounding meadows, we are very lucky indeed to have such a prime location. The Royal Park as you state is a fabulous protected area, with so much to explore.

I am pleased that you found the food to your enjoyment and would welcome further feedback regarding your comment on the meat available at breakfast as I would like to review this further.

Thank you for such a great review, we all hope you return to the Hotel again.