“Wi-fi nightmare”

Richmond Hill Hotel
Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Hotel on the hill surrounded by parks, bus stop is next to Gate Hotel, taxi from the Richmond station is 8.60. You can walk down to the center it is not that far. Room was OK although don't count having wardrobe to put your clothes in. Amenities in the bathroom are very limited don't expect usual 4* kit. No mini fridge in the room. What was bothering me the most was internet connection it kept on disconnecting. If you need to work on PC think twice before booking this hotel. Breakfast was OK but the choice wasn't so great.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Marsio,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us in Richmond, it is concerning to know you had such a poor experience with the free Wifi offered in the room.

We did have a system issue in early July that did affect the quality of the Wifi we provided.
This has now been resolved and the Wifi has returned to its normal functionality and speed.

We have also recently upgraded our internet connection to a fibre optic high speed connection and have received many positive comments since this upgrade in March. However in light of your comments we have asked our suppliers to review the access points around the hotel to be sure the connectivity does not "drop off" in certain areas.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention.

General manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,602)

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Visited yesterday for afternoon tea. The online booking process was easy but made less than 24 hours before we went, which may have been why I think they didn't have our booking. This wasn't a problem though, as the restaurant itself was very quiet. We were seated by the entrance to the restaurant which was fine as the area and hotel wasn't busy with traffic or people, and gave us a lovely breeze with the summer heat.
Thereafter the service was excellent. The waiters were attentive, we knew that they were there if we needed anything, but left us alone, meaning that we weren't rushed in the slightest.
The Tea itself was very good. It didn't look like too much on the tea stand, but was very filling and took a box of goodies home too. I wouldn't be surprised if the scones were freshly made onsite that day (as opposed to bought in). The cakes were lovely too - good selection.

I would recommend especially with the value for money.

Room Tip: Didn't stay in the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Melanie,

We were all so delighted to read your review of your Afternoon Tea experience with us at Richmond Hill Hotel. The Kitchen Brigade, particularly the pastry section have focused on providing a delicious home made afternoon tea, therefore your comments were very much welcomed.

Indeed the scones are made in house fresh every day as are many of the items on the tea stand, the only exception being the bread for the sandwiches.

It was fabulous that following the initial table confusion, the restaurant team also performed well in your review, this is a great motivation to all concerned as the "Tea Ritual" with the offer of many loose leaf options has been a new service standard introduced earlier this year.

Thank you for posting your review, it is much appreciated by all the team here at Richmond hill Hotel,

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Richmond is lovely. The Richmond Hill Hotel is located directly across from a park with wonderful views of the Thames. It is easy to walk to restaurants. Bus stops near by and it is a 15 minute walk to the train station.

The Richmond hotel is an old hotel. The lobby area has been updated and is lovely. The front desk staff is friendly and helpful. They were more than willing to try and answer all my questions about the bus, purchasing an Oyster card (busses and trains don't take cash) and taking the train into London. They have a map of Richmond available which is very helpful to take along with you. They will get a cab for you quickly and the cost is very reasonable. My cab ride back to the airport (29 pounds) was half what the cab charged us from the airport when he drove us to Richmond.

FYI - Oyster cards can be purchased at some train stations (not Richmond) and can be topped off at all stations. Purchase one where you see the blue Oyster card sign sold here - usually media outlets (magazine, newspaper).

Our room was a double and had enough space for the 2 of us. The room could use some updating but was clean and the bed was comfortable. We were on the ground floor and faced the parking lot in the back by what must have been the lounge area...thus loud music on Saturday and Sunday night until at least 11. Not conducive to a good nights sleep.

The hotel breakfast buffet is good, open for hours, and is very convenient. The price is 12 pounds is you purchase voucher from the front desk, otherwise it is 16 pounds.

Probably would not return to this hotel, although I would try another in Richmond. I took a boat (Turks) to Hampton Court by myself one day and felt perfectly safe. I walked to Kew Gardens by myself (30 minutes) and took a bus back. We took the train to London on the weekend (15 minute walk to the station, 45 minute train ride to Tower of London). Public transportation is safe and clean and the train ride is mostly above ground so you have lots to see.

If you go to Richmond, there is a boat tied to the waterfront between the Richmond bridge and the White Cross Pub. It's a restaurant and the food is good and reasonably priced. The view is wonderful!

Dear Carol

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay with us and for providing such a comprehensive guide to how best navigate the local area.

I was happy to read that you received a warm welcome and found the team to be very friendly and assist you in your queries regarding transport in the local area.

I was surprised to note following your comments that you would not return to the Hotel, there are many other room types available to try if you did not find this to your liking and hope that you would reconsider this decision.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Richmond is a lovely, if slightly pretentious area. A walk along the Thames on a balmy summer evening really does offer the best of England. The hotel? Well its OK. The adjacent and complimentary health club is really good - better than most Hotel based offerings. The free WIFI, although a little slow is also really cool. The breakfasts are below average for a 4* hotel, the rooms OK, nothing special and the restaurant didn't inspire me to try dinner - despite the client footing the bill if I did. So great position, nice part of greater London, but not the kind of place to inspire fond memories...

Dear Jim,

Thank you for your review of your time with us, I am obviously disappointed that we did not wow you, during your time spent with us.

Over the summer months we are going to take a fresh look at our breakfast offer to see where it can be improved following feedback from yourself and some other reviewers. If you had some comments on what you would have liked to have as an additional offering that would be greatly received. Any further information on why you chose not to eat would also be welcome as our team of chefs cook to order a range of dishes which vary every week. We are obviously not conveying that effectively enough.

Thank you for submitting your feedback it doe assist us in our efforts to improve our guests experience.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I booked directly with the hotel as I was part of a wedding party, mentioning that I had a 6 month old baby so would need to be a double room. After a long hot 5 hour drive I arrived, No one helped me down the stairs to the lift i had a baby in stroller and 4 bags, I could just about squeeze in the lift. When I got to the room I found you had placed me in a room with 2 single beds, when I was getting in the bath to shower myself and baby I slipped over (using mat provided in bath) my baby banged her head I have bruised my legs, I couldn't get my balance back, it was like slipping on ice, clearly the cleaning products hadn't been washed out properly, this could have been very serious if I had banged my head. When telling reception there was no care from them, I also had to ask for the room to be changed to a double or beds put together, there was no offer of a cot. Although the beds were put together. I struggled all day lifting and carrying my baby in her stroller up and down the stairs, none of the staff offered any help, especially reception who just watched me struggle. When checking out once again I had no help I struggled on my own with a baby, stroller and 4 bags. There was also a dispute over payment which at check in when I gave my card details and put in my pin I was not advised that they put a hold on the money, I thought I had already paid, so rudely the man carried on to say that I did not pay, when I advised him it had been taken from my bank after 5 mins of arguing he then tells me that they only hold the money! This should have been explained at check in. During the wedding meal, a waiter came around and cleared my glasses even after saying that I've not finished with them, when they came around with champagne for the toast I told another waiter that my glasses had been taken, he said no problem I'll get you one and come back.....well the toast then had been and gone and no surprise the waiter didn't come back so as a bridesmaid at my best friends wedding I couldn't even do a toast with them. The room was very small and hard to manover around when trying to get ready. And you can hear other guests banging about there doors and moving around the corridors. On a positive note breakfast was nice.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma231983
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear Emma,
I was most dismayed to read your review following the wedding here at the weekend. I remember you, as you attended the beautiful bride on the day whilst holding your daughter. In fact I commented to you in the lobby how wonderful you all looked.
I have reviewed the CCTV for your check in at the Hotel and note that Sheridan one of our work experience trainees assisted you with both the buggy and your luggage when checking in, taking them to the room for you. Perhaps it was other occasion you are referring to where the team did not assist, but they do try where possible to support our guests particularly those with children as we are fully aware of the trials of navigating the Hotel due to its age.
As a hotel we take slips and falls very seriously, the team are aware to log anything reported of this nature. I can find no record of your incident in either the duty manager diary or in the reception log. Accident forms are offered to guests who have had an accident within the Hotel to be completed while on property. I have talked to the team on the desk that day and they do not remember you mentioning your fall at all. I am sorry you fell and am pleased that you are both not injured, I will review the room thoroughly with the housekeeping team to be sure that there is nothing at fault with the mat.
I am disappointed that your glass was removed and not replaced during the wedding breakfast, it is unusual for the team to remove champagne glasses from the top table during speeches and I sincerely apologise that this happened.
Pre authorisation of credit cards does sometimes cause confusion with guests, a pre authorisation is taken to pre allocate the cost of the room and allow enough allowance for drinks or meals to be charged without guests having to pay for every transaction. On departure this money is used against the final bill and any money not spent released back to the guest, the same card has to be used for both transactions. I am sorry this was not explained to you clearly on departure or you felt the team member was arguing, it was not their intention to come across in that manner.

Overall I can only apologize that we did not met your expectations on such a special occasion. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to discuss your stay further.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 21 July 2014

We booked this hotel on a impulse break with Secret Escapes. The downstairs was very nicely decorated and all the staff were very welcoming. The bedroom, we had a superior double as part of the deal, was clean and comfy. The bedrooms could probably do with being updated to reflect the downstairs, but it didn't detract from a very enjoyable stay. The food was good both at breakfast and at dinner and the menu choices for dinner were varied. The hotel is in an excellent position, right next to Richmond Park and a short walk downhill into Richmond and to the river, the weather was very hot which added to the stay. Would return without hesitation and would recommend to others.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Catri,

Thank you for posting such a positive review of your time spent with us at Richmond Hill Hotel, we are delighted you enjoyed every aspect of your stay.
Richmond, as you noted, is a perfect destination for a leisure weekend with so much to see and do on our doorstep; Kew Gardens, Ham Polo, a boat trip to Hampton Court, Richmond Park and the beautiful meandering Thames, the list goes on.

I hope you return again to explore further, we would look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 16 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed at hotel last weekend for 1 night for the flower show at hampton ct reception not very helpful didn't tell us Internet code and charges for parking ,room was clean and small overlooking carpark and full of dated brown furniture room really needed updating,bed was comfy ,spa was not like in photos and shut at 8 pm after we had walked through reception 2 minutes earlier ,stayed in a lot of 4 stars but this wasn't one ,good area for the Thames and surrounding shops an restaurants ,never had breakfast as it was £12.00, and could get 2 for that at cote bistro down in the town .

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Wrighty257
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Wrighty,

We are all disappointed to read your review of your time spent with us at Richmond Hill Hotel. Our rooms are a variety of shapes and sizes, most have been refreshed within the last 12 months so I am sorry you felt the furniture was tired. We do charge £5 for parking as a resident and advertise this on our website to try and ensure that it does not come as a surprise to our guests, I am sorry you did not notice this prior to arrival.

Some of your comments made within your feedback I find perplexing and would like to clarify. The Hotel offers complimentary WiFi throughout and as such their are no codes offered by the team on the desk. As the guests opens their computer browser a login prompts to add personal details, once these have been completed you are granted free access. If you had struggled to gain access during your stay the team on the desk would have been happy to offer support and show you how to get on line for free.

The Cedars Leisure club opens from Mon - Thursday 6.30 am - 10pm, Fri 6.30 until 9pm, Sat 7am - 8pm and Sun 7 - 9pm, I am unsure as to how the team on the desk were supposed to be aware that you were leaving to use the Leisure Club, however opening times and children's pool times are displayed at the reception desk and on the in room TV for our guests. I am sorry you did see these advertised or ask for opening times at the desk. Our front of team is usually recognized for their willingness to help and advise guests, so your feedback was surprising.

Breakfast is £12 per person and we feel the vast expanse of unlimited choice offers real value for money with a range of buffet items; hot cooked breakfast items, an extensive cereal selection, chilled fresh fruits and yoghurts, continental meats and cheeses, a selection of pastries and a variety of breads to toast, free flowing juice and coffee compliments these dishes. Their are always cheaper choices available in town for those who wish to venture into Richmond, it is personal preference after all.

Thank you for your feedback it always assists us in our endeavors to improve our customers experience.

Yours sincerely,