“Lovely location!”

Richmond Hill Hotel
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 4 September 2014

I stayed here for a work training course this week. Between 10 of us, we all agreed it was a great hotel. The location is wonderful, close to beautiful parks, the river and the delights of Richmond village. The food was excellent, a good choice of wines and offered very attentive service. The rooms are a little tired and could use an update, but the bed was comfortable, towels soft & everything was perfectly clean. We did spot a rather large mouse running around downstairs (not near the restaurant) but he was removed briskly by the staff! Free wifi is something that I think all hotels should offer in this day and age, luckily this was also included in our room rate, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a little urban retreat.

• Stayed: September 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Cushmeister
ManagerRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2014

Dear Nicola

Thank you for your positive review of the time spent with us at Richmond Hill Hotel. It is incredibly motivating for the team to read that you enjoyed your conference with us. I heard that a mouse had entered the lower corridor, a complete "first" for us all at the Hotel, I am delighted the team swept him away back to Richmond Park.

We do hope you have the opportunity to return to Richmond in the future.

Warm regards

Diane Tapner-Evans
General manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,562)

Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location and as you enter the lobby area it is smart and up to date. Receptionist were very friendly and we were checked in quickly . On entering our room -a standard double-we were somewhat disappointed . The bed was very small , and the room generally cramped . There were no bedside tables just a piece of wood fixed to the wall that had sagged over time so when a glass was placed on it it slid to the edge. The air conditioning unit was too noisy to allow it to be on overnight so we ended up having no sleep due to the heat and cramped bed . The bathroom was also not particularly clean and the towels provided had seen better days .
After politely asking if we might move to a better room we were put in a lovely room on the 4th floor which was much more what would be expected from a 4 star hotel . It was however suggested by one of the staff that our first room hadn't been that great because we "had only booked a standard room not a deluxe room "! I pointed out that all rooms in the hotel should fall within the standard of 4 star. On the second night of our stay we were kept awake by music so loud that the bed was vibrating from the bass ! I phoned twice to ask for it to be turned down but was told there was nothing they could do . Considering we were 4 floors up I feel sorry for the guests in the rooms below us. When we checked out we were told £30 had been taken off our bill to apologise for the noise. - but after 2 nights of very little sleep we didn't feel this was adequate compensation . All in all there were good points to this hotel , but we certainly wouldn't stay again .

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NATTYWILSON
ManagerRichmond, Director of Sales at Richmond Hill Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear NattyWilson

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at our hotel. Being a Georgian listed building, dating back to 1726, the bedrooms within the hotel are a range of shapes and sizes and reflect the buildings history and character. I am glad that the team were able to move your room when you highlighted your dissatisfaction and I believe the air conditioning has been repaired after your notification of the issue.

I apologise for the noise that you experienced from the party on your second night. Rooms above the ballroom are allocated to guests who are attending the party to ensure non-party guests are not disturbed. During this very busy weekend I believe when you requested a room move the team could only allocate you a room above the function and moved a party guest into your previous room. The team did request the music was turned down and I believe this happened around 11pm and the party then finished at 11:45.

Thank you again for your feedback and should you wish to return to The Richmond Hill Hotel, please let me know and I will ensure you are looked after.

Reviewed 29 August 2014

This hotel is in a great location and the service and food were excellent, but the rooms are in need of an update and double rooms are small and pokey. Perhaps executive rooms are worth the extra money as the basic rooms are exactly that - basic. Dinner in a private dining-room for a group visit was very good and well-served.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Antal

Thank you for review of your recent stay at our hotel. I am delighted that you found all aspects of our service and restaurant food excellent. The team will be pleased to receive your comments.

With regard to the bedrooms we are a listed Georgian building and as a result the bedrooms do vary in shape and size, reflecting this history. The Executive Rooms do offer more spacious accommodation and the upgrade charge is very reasonable.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

the hotel is basically fine, nothing wow, clean and tidy room.

however they were refurbing a room close to mine and there was hammering all afternoon and then crashing and banging around in the morning from 7am.

I had worked late with the plan to sleep in. that didn't happen.

The reception staff weren't interested and the manager wore a bored face and was indifferent to the problem when I complained and I left disgruntled and dissatisfied.

I ordered a cheese board and drink from the bar staff, who were lovely, the cheese board was good and the options to pick your own is a good idea too.

Oh and the only other thing was that I had booked the hotel - to use the pool but it was closed for refurb - would have also been helpful to know this when I booked but they failed to say anything on the website....

Would I go back? may be - but I would call and check out what was going on in the hotel first

Room Tip: call and check their refurbishment programme....
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Giles S

Dear Giles S

Thank you for posting your review of your stay at our hotel. I am really disappointed to read your comments especially of the team that you spoke to concerning your issues.

I would be really grateful if you would contact our General Manager or myself to discuss this in more detail. Our staff are our strongest asset and as I am sure you will see from other reviews, are normally praised for the attitude and helpfulness.

Contact : sales.richmond@kewgreen.co.uk
(alternatively Diane Tapner-Evans: gm.richmond@kewgreen.co.uk)

Reviewed 26 August 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights to attend a convention nearby. Place was packed but all the staff handled the numbers very well. Room was fine. Clean and tidy and well appointed for the rating. Service was good in the breakfast room and had to call a couple of days later as we had left a diary and pen there and they were really helpful in getting that back to us. Great location opposite Richmond park and just a nice 10 walk down into the high street. Loads of places to eat also.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear HampshireNat

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at The Richmond Hill Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the services we offer. As you say it was an extremely busy weekend and the Operational Team worked very hard to ensure they accommodated all of our guests needs. Your feedback will be well received.

I trust that we will welcome you back to the hotel for the next Convention, if not sooner.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed two nights as part of a wedding, so one night was paid for while the other was out of pocket. For the price we paid (89 pounds) I'd say it was well worth it. You can't beat the location - the Thames is just a short downhill walk away (but then you've got to walk back up, too!), and the area surrounding is lovely.

The building is old, so the floors creak and the walls are thin, so you'll hear some noise. This didn't bother us, but if you're a light sleeper you may want earplugs. Our room was small, but we hardly spent any time in it anyway, so it suited our needs perfectly. The bed was very comfortable, and the room temperature was easily adjusted and also quite comfortable.

We had no use for the pool or gym facilities, so I've no comment on that, though I understand some other guests were upset that they were closed during our stay.

Pembroke's for breakfast was included in our room rate, and it was quite good. It had a large variety of food, all of which was tasty and filling, and the service was pleasant. The front desk service was spot-on, and very helpful and friendly towards someone who more than once got turned around and wandered into the lobby a bit unsure of where to go.

Overall we were very satisfied with our stay, and would recommend it for those who don't intend to spend a lot of time in the room and prefer to use it as a base for outings within the area. It was a perfect place for a wedding, so if someone invites you to stay here for theirs, don't hesitate! I might not recommend this hotel for those who need absolute silence and large rooms, but for anyone else it should be well-suited. Thanks for a pleasant stay!

Room Tip: We stayed in the upper 400s on the east side of the hotel, and they were fine. No foot traffic noise...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Shadowflag

Thank you for your honest and comprehensive review of your stay at The Richmond Hill Hotel.

The walk down to the river and along the banks is beautiful, especially on a summers evening and for those not wanting to walk back up the hill there are plenty of Taxi's and a regular bus service that runs from the centre of town up the hill.

During the year we do run several promotions with great rates available especially at weekends. These can be found on our Website www.richmondhill-hotel.co.uk;

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times, but we're very disappointed with the treatment we received this time. The room we were in was so shabby, tiny, poorly designed and certainly not 4*. How it received this rating is unknown. One of the main reasons I chose it was for the spa which was shut. We were not warned of this, and the only compensation was to spend more money on beauty treatments. Such a con. A shame because I have good memories staying here in the past.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jinx2010

Dear Jinx2010

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at our hotel. I can only apologise that you were not notified of the Spa and pool closure prior to your arrival. The Health Club is not owned by ourselves and like other members we pay a monthly fee for our guests to be able to use the facilities. Unfortunately notification of the closure was given to us at short notice and as a result we were unable to notify guests of this.
We will definately be speaking the the Management of the Club and passing on your feedback, to ensure that in future more notification is given so that we can ensure all our guests are fully aware of any work and closures.

Thank you again for your feedback.