“Lunchtime drinks on the terrace at The Petersham”

The Petersham Hotel
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 11 August 2014

My sister and I called in for a lunchtime drink following a walk up the hill from Richmond town centre. I had used this hotel in the past for business meetings but had never been there on a personal basis. It was a lovely day and we didn't want lunch (having had a large breakfast earlier) so we sat on the terrace with a beautiful view of the Thames. We ordered draft lager as we were very thirsty and this was accompanied by olives and cheese straws. The price was very reasonable and we were highly impressed by the overall standard of service. The staff were very friendly and professional and we will definitely return, most likely for lunch next time. I would highly recommend the Petersham Hotel. It is an attractive well run hotel in what must be one of the best locations in the area, if not the whole of London! There is plenty of on site parking and (finally) all the public areas are clean and well maintained - particularly the fabulous ladies' facilities!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We are British but now live in California. For the past two Christmases we have headed back to the UK and spent a few night at this wonderful hotel. We have some family in London so always get together in the restaurant for a wonderful Sunday lunch and do an early Christmas. We end up being a big group for lunch varying from toddler to codgers and lots in between. The food and service great.

The rooms are very comfortable and the location overlooking the Thames is great for walks and shopping without the noise and mayhem of central London. The staff are old school yet have a wonderful friendly approach and nothing too much trouble.

Room Tip: Upper Floors River Facing. Better views. Only adjoining room I believe is ground floor where we have...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My fiance and i stayed here the night before his biryhday as i had reservations at the restaurant Gaucho on the river.
It was in a perfect location and less than 10minute walk to the restaurant.
The hotel was very clean and bright. The room was a little dated but very clean and spacious, we stayed in a classic double.
We had breakfast in the morning that had beautiful veiws overlooking the river, breakfast was yummy and kept us full until late lunchtime.
Staff were very pleasant and helpful.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Got off to a very bad start when the room I was assured would be ready for our 2pm arrival wasn't. Blaming it on an event the day before isn't good enough - surely they have weddings every Saturday. Either get more cleaning staff in on Sunday or be truthful that rooms won't be ready until later (in which case I would have gone elsewhere).

That said the hotel itself is good. Rooms are a little small with no aircon but large full-height opening windows were fine. Would be helpful if the fan provided had a longer cable though so it brought fresh air in though. The TV also seemed to offer very few channels so I used my phone on the free wi-fi.

Breakfast is not self-serve so a little slow for business trips, but fine for holidays.

Room Tip: Rooms 204, 205 and 206 and presumably 304, 305 and 306 are the quietest rooms. Most others face a r...
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

This is the perfect place to bring your mother or father. Traditional service and exquisite (but not too traditional) cooking from Alex Bentley's kitchen. Beautifully seasoned and beatifully plated. With beautiful views too. If you haven't got a mum or dad to take just go on your own. It's lovely.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I arranged an afternoon tea for a friend who came for a visit from abroad. I was really excited and very much looking forward to the afternoon.

We arrived early, had a drink at the lobby. The hotel certainly has a “wow” factor it. I was pleased that I’ve made the right choice for our afternoon get together until we were served our afternoon teas.

Unlike other higher end places, the staffs seem uninterested and are neither courteous nor polite. They are certainly not attentive i.e. they failed to check on whether we have enough serving for the four of us or if our teas are still warm.

When we asked for a top-up for our sandwiches (there were 4 of us and we were only served one plate of small sandwiches), the waiter seems reluctant and made an excuse about not having made enough sandwiches for the day.

It’s unfortunate that I had to escalate the matter to one of the managers before getting the top-up for the sandwiches. It spoils what would otherwise have been a good experience.

I find it appalling, shocking and upsetting that I have to make a request for a top-up via the manager. The service is shockingly poor and below par.

For a bill of over £140 for the four of us, I do not expect a “Ritz” type of service but I certainly do expect more from the staff i.e. not making lame, degrading excuses about not having enough sandwiches.

I’m very offended and embarrassed by the whole experience and regretted making such a high recommendation of this place to my friends.

If you are only interested in the location, this is a good place to be. I will not recommend it for the service. It’s shockingly poor. Try Warren House instead. For the same price, the staffs are better trained and professional and I couldn't fault the quality of their food.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
8  Thank SerennaS
Reviewed 25 July 2014

Beautiful situation overlooking Petersham Meadow and River Thames. Our room was a garden view no 304. Super views from restaurant and terrace. Only problem was no air conditioning in bedroom and summer in England this year is VERY hot! Good public rooms and car park. Bed was not as good as we would expect. Staff very helpful and provided iron and ironing board on request, as well as a top sheet as duvet too warm. Also had good feather pillows. Shower over bath which was fine. Wonderful to have free wi-fi! Breakfast was good with white tablecloths etc.

Room Tip: Best rooms overlook river but more expensive. Ours was quiet overlooking garden.