“Charm” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Petersham Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Petersham Hotel
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Richmond
Nottingham
“Charm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2009

The Petersham is not the normal business hotel the booking agency shuffles us off to.
It's a 19th century mansion overlooking the Thames in Richmond, probably the most expensive place to live in England. The place exudes olde-worlde charm and one half expected to see Miss Marple alighting from the lift or indeed George, Harris and J (not forgetting the dog) sculling down the river. There is little wonder that the hotel has, in general, got good reviews from abroad especially the U.S. as I can well see the appeal to a foreign traveller .

The room was clean and well maintained; unfortunately it was extremely stuffy as the central heating was full-on and there was no "off" control on the radiator. The hospitality tray, a normal talking point at this juncture, was conspicuous by its absence. However having read the blurb in the hotel leaflet, I find I could have ordered one from reception though quite why one isn't provided is beyond me.

The breakfast, bought to the table, was perfectly acceptable - the view from the restuarant over the Thames was excellent. This is a hotel where time runs slowly and not really suitable for the businessman; more for a relaxing and leisurely stay I think. The overnight cost was certainly at the high end of acceptable but what do you expect in a town where you can rent a house at £8,600 per calendar month?

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2008

We stayed here the night before we went on honeymoon. We had been to see the hotel and some others and chose The Petersham because it felt 'warmer' and the staff were so friendly.
We were given a room with a large balcony that went around the side of the hotel as well as the back view. The view itself was superb, unfortunately it rained when we stayed there and was a bit chilly so we didn't sit out on it, but it was nice all the same!
The room was lovely and big with a really deep bath and comfy bed.
All the common areas are warm and cosy.
We had dinner in the restaurant which we really enjoyed, my steak was absolutely delicious and the service was great. As we returned to our room they brought us up a complementary bottle of champagne which was a lovely touch.
We had to leave before breakfast so we didn't experience this, but they gave us a cold breakfast in the room which was fine.
We really enjoyed our stay here, perhaps the larger rooms are better than the smaller ones. The overall feel is traditional and cosy, which is right up our street!
We have already booked for our anniversary night.

• Liked — Rooms & restaurant
  • Disliked — Shower could have been more powerful
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alicejaneLondon
Middlesex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2008

I wouldn't normally write a review but we were so disappointed with what we hoped would be a treat that I thought I should warn other potential customers.

We booked to have dinner here to celebrate our anniversary and from the start were treated like we shouldn't be there, even if we were the youngest dining that night (mid thirties!!)

The maitre d was so patronising when I complained that my fillet steak was tough and fatty and also waited until my partner had gone to the bathroom before speaking to me about this - I suppose he thought he would be intimidating and I would back down, but I was quick to tell him if he had any doubts about what I was saying to go and look at my almost completely untouched meal in their kitchen.

Other waiters were pleasant and we did end up getting complimentary dessert and cheese in the end but compared to other top restuarants we have been to - we completely recommend The Complete Angler in Marlow!! - it was the worst experience I have ever had - and I have lived in Paris so am used to staff with a lack of social skills.

The whole meal came to nearly £250 with the freebees and steak taken off and so you can see again why the whole experience which should have been magical was the opposite.

Hopefully this review will save you from what we experienced. Go anywhere but there!!!!!

Stayed August 2008
6 Thank Lou34
Saintes, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 October 2008

Fantastic location & view. Not cheap but certaily special. Very good food for the price. Our bathroom was on the small side but certainly nothing to moan about. Try to get a room overlooking the river. Helpful staff especially re. what to see & do locally.

• Liked — The views
  • Disliked — Only able to stay for one night.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled on business
poole
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2008

My wife and I stayed for three days at the Petersham in September 2008. We did enjoy our stay and the location is lovely but, we did have some problems along the way!

On arrival we had to request our tea & coffee facilities, I have never stayed in a hotel in the UK that did not automatically put tea & coffee facilities in the room. The cups were not replaced and tea & coffee replenished for our entire stay!

The bathroom was new and very pleasant but don't expect a power shower! There was no water pressure, hence the water dripped out!

The room key card failed to let us in to our room on 3 occasions, and we had to go to reception to get another card, no apologies, but why?

Breakfast is okay, but the air conditioning was on full power and it was freezing. You just wanted to eat your breakfast and go because it was so cold rather than enjoy the lovely views!

Overall, we probably would stay again due to the location, which is lovely.

• Liked — view
  • Disliked — shower
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank david4a
London, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2008

Overall, the hotel is very nice. Good location, clean and tidy and some of the staff were very pleasant. Chances are you will have a pleasant stay.

However, there were a few issues and I will leave it up to you whether or not you feel they are important.

The car park was full, so I had to park at a pub car park at the bottom of the hill. I told reception where my car was and they said they would clear it with the pub owner, but on 2 occasions that same evening I was asked to move my car or risk clamping until I explained that I was staying at the hotel.

Like others, my room was sweltering when I checked in but easily fixed by opening the window.

Then there was breakfast....

I have stayed in some pretty gammy places but this was quite the worst breakfast I have ever had. First of all, we had to wait to be seated - unbelievably this took 45 minutes and when we were finally allowed in, I counted 5 totally empty tables (out of 20). Why the delay? The place was hardly heaving.

The pitcher of milk we were provided for our tea, coffee and cereals had quite clearly gone off and when we sent it back, the replacement smelt just as bad. When we asked to send it back again, the member of staff started questioning us why! We asked him to try it if he was so sure it was fresh, but he refused saying he didn't like milk. No wonder if he drinks the stuff they serve here. While this was going on, other tables around us told us they had also been served off milk. He conceded defeat and brought us fresh milk...... 20 minutes later.

The whole dining experience took a nightmare 1hr and 45 minutes.

I complained to reception on checking out, who apologised and said they would tell the manager. But frankly, I doubt they gave two hoots.

But to look on the bright side, my day could only get better after that!

• Liked — Nice views over the river
  • Disliked — Breakfast!
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DodieDen
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2008

Staying here for work was 'interesting' the staff were friendly but a few things didn't happen like ordering cabs for me to get the station a good 20 minute walk away so i ended up missing trains etc...

The rooms are cosy but are pretty small and with no air con were pretty hot even in a summery 25C.

Molton Brown goodies in the bathrooms are a nice touch along with hair dryers and Sony Brava TV's make the rooms nicer.

The Fawlty Towers description of breakfast is very accurate - don't think i have stayed anywhere for years where there is no breakfast buffet.... but kippers of full english leaves no room for indecisiveness.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled on business