“A Good Weekend”

Richmond Gate Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Having married at Pembroke Lodge in April 2011 we decided to stay at the RGH to celebrate our first year anniversary. It was a good choice and (as we no longer live in London) a great opportunity for us to visit our wedding venue. As with last year our room was very comfortable, the bed one of the most comfortable I’ve slept in at a hotel, the facilities were very good, building lovely and the breakfast generous and well done. The location was one of the reasons we’d selected RGH as our wedding hotel and it remains one of their USPs. Unfortunately we were incorrectly charged for one item on checkout and were unable to follow this up at the time as we were heading to LHR, however this was promptly dealt with following our email query on the same. Altogether a lovely and special stay and I expect we’ll be back at the RGH in the future.

Room Tip: Suites for a special occasion. If you have mobility problems there are modern rooms at the back on...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Richmond Gate Hotel

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I booked a 'luxury' weekend spa for my daughter's birthday, through spa breaks. on arrival at the hotel it all looked very lovely, until we went to our room. It was very small although it had a nice view. the main problems were holes in the pillow cases, the decorative cushions were stained and you could have grown potatoes in them! you could only get 5 channels on the tv with no options on the radio, the picture was fuzzy and poor, and there was no chance to order films.
the tea making facilities were basic to say the least, with dreadful mugs and just tea and coffee, no biscuits, hot chocolate etc. I have had better in a travelodge. the Plumbing was hilarious, every time we turned the tap on it sounded like a train was arriving in the room and this continued for about 15 minutes after the tap was turned off. also we were clearly a mother and daughter but they had booked us a double bed! next morning breakfast was mediocre and we had to wait ages for anyone to come and serve us. we arrived in the 'spa' area the staff were lounging around the desk area and we helped ourselves to towels and went to find a spot to put our things and sit with some magazines and order a coffee before a swim. The green sponge covers on the wooden lounge seats were disgusting, stained and dirty. I took mine off and as I sat down on the lounger the end fell off (and the arm) and I fell on the floor! The staff looked over at us and laughed!!
My daughter also sat down and the end of her lounger fell off too! again the staff just laughed. We moved to another area but the loungers were appaling there too. we got our own coffees in paper cups and sat around the jacuzzi pool, i took photographs as it was the dirtiest pool area I have ever seen, I have photos of staff walking around the pool area in boots and shoes with no hygiene covers on. one lad came around at about 12pm with a broom and half heartedly swept all the debris into the pool! we had a swim, but couldn't face the jacuzzi. we then went upstairs for our relaxing 30min facial that we had pre booked for 1pm. by 1.30pm we were still sitting in an empty reception, no one had come to speak to us and when I finally went to find some one, a young lad told me that they had had aphone call to tell us that the beauty room was running late. when I asked why hadn't anyone come to tell us, he said he couldn't find us! we were in reception!
when our therapists finally arrived I was taken into the treatment room and told to lie down for a massage! this was not the facial we had booked. as it happened I had a bad back so decided to go with the massage after all, the therapist proceeded to give me a deeptissue sports massage with her elbows, not a relaxing experience! my daughter recieved the same. no formal questions were asked beforehand, about my health etc. very poor practice.
we went back to the room at about 3pm as we couldn't stand staying in the pool area, our dirty coffee cups were still on the table from11am and it was a very dismal experience. it was raining heavily so we decided to order room service, but changed our minds when we saw that the hotel charge £3.50 per person for this service! the gourmet evening meal was awful, scallops were raw inside and the sauce burnt. I ordered lamb cutlets and some sort of potato tower,which had potato eyes inside it and was inedible, as were the cutlets, very chewy and raw. I complained tho the waitress when she came to take away the plates and she said she would tell chef. I heard nothing more! I ordered cheese as i was starving, I could have played tennis with the brie!!
the queue at breakfast was endless and they kept running out of things, a man in a suit was in the kitchen cutting up bread, and it all looked very un hygienic. a waste of money and a terrible experience,never go to this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Lesley S
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Positives
Great location on Richmond Hill
Short stroll into town or down to river or into Richmond Park
Parking available £5 for 24hours
Efficient reception
Clean & comfortable room

Negatives
None really
They could clean up the old but now dry condensation around edge of window frame

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2012

Stayed here with friends for the Amlin/Heineken Cup weekend. Overall, pretty good for London and Richmond - but don't be fooled by the hotel webpage.
Positives:
1. Easy to find, we didn't have any problems at all parking - but could see how it does get busy and then you are trying to find a space on the street.
2. I don't know his name (no name badge) but the chap (black guy, thirties, short hair) on reception was probably the most friendly, helpful, enthusiastic, posite, cheerful, welcoming receptionist I have encountered in 20+ years of travelling. A real credit to the hotel.
3. The staff were great - we needed 6 seater taxis, and all arranged with minimum of fuss
4. Beds comfortable and clean - good night sleep (just)
5. Water pressure was something else - even in the loft room the shower pinned you to the floor. Magic!
6. Very close to Richmond Park
7. A nice walk to Twickenham Stadium/Stoop along by the river all the way to Barmy Arms. Go to the far side of the river as we couldn't see any bridges to cross over.

Not so positives:
1. We were in the loft room and the skylight had the thinnest of blinds - let in a lot of light in the morning (couldn't move as fully booked)
2. For an "executive" room or 4* hotel there were no buscuits with the tea & coffee (which was cheap coffee - non-branded rubbish, this kind of penny pinching is detrimental). Small things but make a difference.
3. It had a 'tidy up' - but done on the cheap (could see where the painters had gone around the blind in the bathroom rather than simply remove it and do a proper job). Fittings missing off windows etc.
4. Don't be fooled by the "in room entertainment system" - this is a television! About six channels worked,
5. Make sure you don't get the room above the bar. Our friends were "upgraded" and were kept awake with the party downstairs two nights on the trot.

Handy tip:
We begrudge paying £12-£16 a head for breakfast (not tight, but it seems a touch OTT) - so we strolled into Richmond and found a cracking little Italian place between Next/Fish Works that did a full cooked for £5 (inc tea/coffee) or a "Fat Boy" for £6. Go for the Fat Boy - it is worth it.

To summarise - would we stay here again for a Twickenham weekend - on balance, yes we would. It is good value for where it is, clean and tidy - just needs to do a few little things to get a 5* review.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Dave-Sally
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I wanted to treat my girlfriend to a special birthday weekend so I wanted to take her to a hotel which was a bit nicer than normal. And this hotel was more than perfect! I had originally heard about it from my dad who had been at the hotel for meetings and a friend of mine who stayed there after a wedding. Both raved about the place. So I confidently booked the hotel, and I was delighted with everything. The bedroom was smart and nicely decorated, very clean, quiet, and comfortable. It was everything I like in a hotel room, and I like my home comforts! Outside our bedroom window there was view right into the heart of London, and just outside the hotel was Richmond Park, perfect location for a romantic weekend. It’s only up the road from Richmond town centre too where there’s plenty to do. We had breakfast in the conservatory and we both commented on how stylish it was, just like the rest of the hotel and the food was also of a very high standard. The service we received was happy and attentive and we were treated very well as their guests. All in all, it was welcoming, stylish, comfortable, and I am already looking to make my next booking there. Very nice hotel!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alan V
Reviewed 10 May 2012

The Richmond Hotel holds a great place in my heart its the hotel I stayed in for my wedding. The staff at the hotel take time to make sure your stay is as it should be. For wedding parties every detail is thought about and considered. We went back to the hotel for our anniversary and they kindly upgraded us to a bridal suite. The food at the hotel is lovely and you can hire out the private dining room for wedding parties which we did so after our wedding the following day. The rooms are clean. well decorated and cosy. The hotel has easy parking and is walking distance to Richmond park where we got married. I look forward to our visit next year and recommend the hotel whole heartedly.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two night for our daughter's wedding which was in Pembroke Lodge, Richmond Park. So the hotel was very convenient and that's probably the only reason they ever have any guests. There were no parking spaces when we arrived and all the reception staff could do was tell us that we were warned about it on the web site. When we arrived in the "two rosette" restaurant there were no staff at all. We probably waited 10 minutes until someone came into the room and even then we had to explain to them that we wanted to eat wnd would like to see menus. There were not even enough menus to go round and there were only 7 of us in restaurant that probably had a capacity of 30. To be fair, the food was quite good bu the service was shambolic. Our room was small and smelled musty although in other respects was OK. There are better rooms in the old building. Breakfast again was shambolic with no staff and food that kept ruining out - even though it was a buffet rather than freshly cooked. We got stuck in the car park on the way to the wedding because the call button is connected to the hotel's phone and if they are on the phone they don't know you are waiting. There is a code so make sure you ask for it even iif they tell you that you just have to press the call button. The final insult is that they charge £2 to pay by credit card. All in all an atrocious hotel. The groom's family stayed at the Petersham which was, by all accounts, much better.

Room Tip: Just pay for a room, get your meals elsewhere (Chez Lindsay just down the hill before the bridge is...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family