“Wedding Venue”

Richmond Gate Hotel
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My eldest daughter, Laura, and her now husband, Greg, chose Richmond Gate Hotel as the venue for their wedding / wedding reception on 14 December 2013 and what an excellent decision that turned out to be. As is to be expected from a 4 star rating, the hotel has first class facilities, the staff are very friendly and helpful and the rooms are very clean and well appointed. The civil licenced wedding room where the wedding ceremony took place (The Terrace Room) was tastefully decorated, which added to the romantic mood of the occasion, and looked beautiful. The reception afterward was held in the Conservatory which is light and airy and overlooks a walled garden; it was marvellous to be able to look beyond 4 walls during the wedding breakfast and up into the sky and at the stars after it got dark! The acoustics (for speeches and entertainment) are very good. Both the food and the service were excellent. A special mention must go to Fillipe (apologies if I have not spelt his name correctly) who looked after the wedding party for the whole of Saturday and Sunday morning. He was "quietly confident" throughout which put Laura and Greg's and my and my wife's minds at ease and was always extremely polite, attentive, helpful, quick to react. Nothing was too much trouble for him. Thank you Fillipe for making my daughter's and son-in-law's wedding the undoubted success that it was; I know that Laura and Greg are absolutely delighted. Thanks also to Fillipe's staff who, without exception, were likewise also polite, attentive and helpful at all times. All in all a truly marvellous experience. Thank you so much. Ken Henley

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank KenHenley
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2014

What a delight to read this post!

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments – I will share them with my team as they
can take all the credit for this feedback.

To have the privilege of hosting any Wedding Day makes for a special opportunity to show how professional and capable a Hotel team can be. I am delighted that Laura & Greg had such a marvellous experience and you may rest assured that I have passed on my personal thanks to Felipe for his delivery of this event for them.

I look forward to seeing you and your family at Richmond Gate again in the future.

Kind regards,

Write a ReviewReviews (1,037)

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Greeted by multi-tasking staff member who served drinks (from a limited selection) in a comfortable lounge area. Very dated, but still very comfortable seating.
Table for six in the dining room; a small dining room: cosy and hushed tones.
The chairs were large and although comfortable were not what I would describe as dining chairs. I noticed that the chairs meant you were some way away from the table and one poor couple (the only othere diners) were trying to have a private conversation, but had to raise voices because of the dimension of the round dining table. Great idea if you have had a row with your partner, but not condusive to a tete a tete!!
Head waiter took our order from a very limited menu consisting of four starters and four mains. What happened to the a la carte menu? Starters included Avocado, tomato and mozarella (tri colore), prawn cocktail, melon etc., Mains listed a pork chop, grilled salmon and a vegetarian dish. Priced at £25 per head.
Amuse bouche were delivered and were pleasant enough, but not outstanding
The pork chop was covered in grease and had no vegetables accompanying it. These were bought fairly sharpish by the waiter (cum barman) but I did wonder why the lack of vegtables was not highlighted when the order was taken. The salmon was fine (well cooked) but not memorable. Desserts were ordered and were pretty run of the mill.
The white wine (NZ white) ran out and a substitute was offered. We were then asked to return to the bar/lounge area for coffee so that they could prepare for the breakfast service.

Room Tip: Ask to see the a la carte menu which looks comprehensive enough on their web site. Also check that t...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Thank you for your posting – your feedback is really important to us and I appreciate the constructive nature of your comments. It is clear from the content of your post that the overall experience, and in particular the dining room, were not up to your expectations – please accept my personal apologies for that.

In relation to the staffing levels, as with many flexible and efficient organisations we do encourage multi-tasking. That is not, however, an excuse for poor or rushed service. When business levels dictate, we can take the opportunity to work with lower numbers of staff who are capable of working across a number of departments. It is quite normal for us to have a member of staff on duty in the Hotel bar that will also look after certain other aspects of service – such as wine and food service in the restaurant – when required. If this resulted in a negative impact to your experience I am truly sorry.

Whilst we do change the a la carte menu regularly, we have fallen short of our own standards on this occasion by offering a poor selection of dishes. Again, dependant on business levels, we do flex the amount of dishes available but I completely agree that having only 4 starters and main courses is a poor selection and an unacceptable oversight on our part. By way of comparison, our menu this evening – a “quiet” January Monday – has 7 starters and 8 main courses. This is fairly typical and is changed on a regular basis to retain a level of variety and interest. I have passed on your comments regarding the food quality to my Head Chef for his attention – I am sorry that the quality of the meal was not to your expectations. In addition, it is unforgivable that you were asked to move to the bar to enable breakfast set up – completely unacceptable. I will discuss this in detail with my Food & Beverage Manager to ensure that there is no future repetition of this complete error of judgement.

We do pride ourselves on aiming to deliver a memorable food and beverage experience for all of the right reasons and I am sorry that we have fallen short of the mark on this occasion, I trust that this response offers some confidence that your comments have been reviewed, understood and actioned and I hope to see you again at Richmond Gate Hotel in the future.
Thank you again for your time and constructive comments.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Arrived here with no great expectations, as had booked this on a special offer.
What a nice surprise ! Delightfully, friendly staff, a lovely room ( despite a long climb up the
stairs ! ) with quality furnishings and amenities .
We were late down to breakfast, so it was a bit " on its last legs " but the selection was quite adequate, and probably good when fresh.
We had 'swapped' dinner for lunch ( dinner was part of the ' deal ', but as we knew that we were going to arrive late, we pre- arranged a swap ) and the lunch was excellent, the service perfect.
We would not hesitate to stay here again - what's not to like ?!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent stay at Richmond Gate.

It is always reassuring to read such a positive review and I will share the content of your comments with my team as part of our ongoing efforts to improve service at the Hotel.

We are always looking for ways to improve our breakfast offering and, as we move to a plated hot offer, we will enhance the experience for our guests in the future and avoid the ‘end of the buffet’ disappointment that can so often occur.

I look forward to seeing you at RIchmond Gate again in the future and thanks again for the review – it really does help!

Kind regards

Reviewed 7 December 2013

Overnighted there and was very impressed overall - it would certainly tempt me to go again, but there were some problems. I'm glad we had a Secret Escapes deal - I would have been unhappy at paying the Hotel rates.
The hotel is lovely - welcoming appearance, good quality throughout and we had a wonderfully comfortable bed - one of the best in a hotel that we have ever slept in. Unfortunately, whereas we thought we had booked a double room, we were given a twin, When I advised the desk of this, it was resolved immediately and we were transferred to a double. Unfortunately, this room was cold and although the radiator was on, it was obviously in need of attention. Again, the staff were excellent in providing an additional portable heater, but in a relatively small double, this became a nuisance. The shower was not good, needing to work through cold, before getting to the hot, and there was also a problem with the taps for the bath which simply did not work properly.
Breakfast became hard work. The staff were polite but seemed reluctant. We were left standing waiting for a table for over 5 minutes before they even noticed our presence. The top cloth on the table had coffee stains on it from the previous guests, which were simply ignored. (4*?? I don't think so). Nothing on the buffet bar was labelled and crockery for guest use was dirty, meaning that once again we had to ask for assistance. We ended up feeling that we were simply a nuisance. It certainly did not merit the £16.50 that the hotel normally charges.
Overall, if you want a great location, on the edge of Richmond Park, give it a try if you can get a good deal, but be careful otherwise. Our experience would mean that, whilst tempted, we would look very carefully at the competition.

Room Tip: Clarify any requirements
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback by way of a posting on this site.

You can rest assured that your feedback, particularly in relation to food & beverage service and the heating and shower facility in your bedroom have been actively shared with my management team and I am very sorry for the disappointment caused to you.

I am delighted that you found the overall staff responsiveness and bed quality to be positive attributes to your stay but I have not missed that key point of your feedback, which is that you paid an attractive package rate through Secret Escapes, and that you would be reluctant to pay direct Hotel prices given the experience which you encountered. You are quite correct in your statement that we sit in a very competitive market place with a number of good quality neighbouring hotels ready to compete for and steal business where they can. As such, you may rest assured that we will continue to strive to make improvements to our service and product – given the feedback offered – in order to remain the hotel of choice in Richmond.

Thank you for helping keep us focussed. I hope to welcome you back to Richmond Gate again in the future.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

We stayed for two nights 29th & 30th November. The room was small, but adequate, the shower control over the bath proved difficult to master as it meant standing under freezing water whilst turning it to hot. The breakfast was just dreadful, the hot food in the heater units was cold and congealed, the toast served by waiters straight from the kitchen was also cold. The tea tasted of dishwater, I could go on but what's the point, we pre-paid £56 for breakfast, it wasn't worth £6. I would expect better in Richmond, but I guess in the location it's not necessary to try too hard.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your post – I appreciate the time you have taken to make your feelings clear and I am truly sorry for the poor experience at breakfast.

I take your comments fully on the chin and can only apologise for the poor experience back in November.

However, I am pleased to report, since your November stay, we have fully reviewed and enhanced the breakfast buffet, working to a brand standard due to our newly formed partnership with Clarion Collection. We have a full and varied cold buffet selection, an a la carte menu and we are also moving from a buffet hot breakfast to a plated offer – when business levels allow – which should help improve the service experience and food quality immensely.

It is regrettable that we had not made the changes in advance of your stay, but I do hope that you feel some reassurance that a problem area for us is being addressed – and I thank you for helping keep us focussed where our attention needed to be given.

I hope to welcome you back to Richmond Gate again in the future.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Stayed for 2 nights whilst attending a family wedding at nearby Pembroke Lodge in Richmond Park. Hotel had all the facilities you need. Good comfortable, clean rooms with bed linen and towels being top quality. Bathroom was bigger than the bedroom and for some reason very hot, must be unbearable in the summer. Original features in both rooms with fireplaces. Room on the front but very quiet and was not disturbed by the traffic going by. Tea, coffee, mini bar, iron, ironing board and powerful hair dryer, TV. Breakfast was fresh, good coffee and toast served to the table, no 'do it yourself' standing at a toaster which seems the norm in most hotels now. Fresh fruit, juices, cereals, yogurts, cold meats all regularly topped up. Staff were very helpful and polite. Didn't use the swimming pool, wish we had, but looked clean. All in all a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Thanks for taking to time to post and I am delighted you enjoyed your stay.

I will pass on your comments to my management team to share with their respective teams. We enjoy a great relationship with Pembroke Lodge and have built up a good rapport with many of their wedding guests over recent months and years.

I hope to welcome you back to Richmond Gate again in the near future.

Thanks again.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

Having recently stayed at the Richmond gate the room, was clean, and pleasant, coffee and tea was available in the executive room. Having selected a voucher deal this included a three course evening meal, the meal was average and perhaps a little disappointing. It started badly, with a crab bone in the starter. I was then surprised when choosing a the main meal, that all I was ordering was the steak and a mushroom. I was therefore a little disappointed and slightly confused that accompanying vegetables and potatoes incurred an extra charge. Great way to recoup any losses from the voucher deals if you can get away with it. The buffet style breakfast was an improvement, with a wide selection, most of which were served hot. The location has excellent views and getting into town is a lovely walk downhill alongside the park and takes 20 minutes or so, to get to the nearest underground. Overall I was glad it was through a voucher system and that we did not pay full tariff, although the room was acceptable the evening meal fell well short of our expectations and therefore it is unlikely we will stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2014

Thank you for your recent comments on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed experience and that you felt looked after by the team. It is always a huge honour to read comments about individual team members thank you very much for giving up your time to make these I wiil of course communicate your comments to Daniel.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Richmond Gate in the future.

Nick Henry