“Well placed hotel”

Richmond Gate Hotel
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 28 February 2014

We very much enjoyed our trip to this hotel. The staff are very helpful: directed us to a nearby eaterie which was very good in the evening. The room itself was small but given the location, it was bigger than we had anticipated! I generally do not like going to London because it is so hard to find a decent hotel at a decent rate but I was very pleased with this one.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2014

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.It is always a pleasure to read comments about the team at the Hotel. They work exceptionally hard to deliver the best possible customer care and it is very gratifying for them to read feedback such as yours.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Richmond Gate again in the future.

Reviewed 23 February 2014

We like to get away to spend a couple of days in a nice hotel with friends. This one was recommended by another online company, and we booked 2 rooms this week for a total of £258 half board (including a £20 dinner contribution). We arrived by car via Richmond Deer Park, and down the hill and up again to the hotel, set high above the Thames, with splendid views. Checking in was swift - rather too swift as the young receptionist failed to ask our car registration number, did we want a newspaper delivered or a wake up call? Or indeed, what time would we like to book dinner for? Perhaps it was her first week.
Our room was on the ground floor with a huge bed,and felt pretty cramped with not enough storage space. The lighting was too dim, which is always a problem for women who find it very difficult to put on their makeup. The ensuite bathroom was adequate and well supplied.
Our visit to the gym was excellent withj friendly, helpful staff, but the large spa pool was disappointing as only 2 of the water vents seemed to be working. Time for an upgrade!
The bar was well furnished, but almost empty before dinner. Not surprising when the first round of 4 drinks came to £27! Dinner on the first night was excellent and thoroughly enjoyed by all 4 of us. Breakfast was a bit of a disappointment and certainly the standard of service and choices available were not up to 4 Star standard. Why no warmed plates for the hot buffet selection? The staff seemed inexperienced and lacked good English skills.
The hotel seemed extraordinarily quiet, especially since it was half term. I'd like to know what the occupancy rate was.
Overall we enjoyed our stay and will have happy memories.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for posting your feedback and I am glad that you have happy memories of your stay with us.

Notwithstanding your positive attitude with regards to your stay, you do offer some very constructive comments in relation to your overall experience and I will review them again with my management team to ensure that we take on board any learning points.It is worth noting that the bar serves double shots of spirits as a standard - and this can sometimes be the reason for an unexpected cost. However, your comments on Reception service and breakfast are duly noted and will be acted upon.

Thanks again for your comments - I hope to see you at Richmond Gate again in the future.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

We stayed in the hotel over the weekend. The hotel's decor is tired. There were cracks in the bathroom walls, the lighting in the bathroom did not work. The menu for dinner had a choice of 4 items. There was peeling and damaged paintwork in the bed and despite turning off the heating it was still ridiculously warm. The hotel was also noisy which really bothers me as a guest. We used the spa facility and to be fair it was the most functional experience I have had to date, it did not exude luxury, it reminded me of how I would moisturise in a hurry. We wouldn't really go back as it was overpriced for what it is.

Room Tip: try the hotel next door
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to feed back your experience.

I am sorry that the standard of accommodation did not meet your expectations. We do have a local maintenance program to help continually pick up on day-to-day wear and tear. It would be useful to know which room you stayed in so I could investigate the issues you raise further and remedy the heating problem. Our restaurant menu changes daily and I would certainly expect a greater selection that 4 dishes - I will pick this up with chef as a matter of concern.

I appreciate the advice to fellow travelers to 'stay next door' is perfectly within your rights, but I am disappointed that we have not had the chance to rectify your problems whilst you were with us - I am sure that my management team could have offered a room move, or suggested some alternative suggestions for dinner.

However, I do appreciate and respect your opinion so thanks again for taking the time.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

After arriving we were upgraded to a suite which was a lovely room with a sofa, mini bar and bathrobes and slippers. Everyone we spoke to was friendly and helpful and we felt very comfortable and relaxed. The dinner was fab with four courses and a kir royale and canapés to begin with. Breakfast was plentiful and kept us going for hours. The only reason I could not give it five stars was because of the spa and swimming pool which was too busy with children after school and the whole area felt too busy for any more bodies which was a shame as it was a spa hotel we were looking for. Next time we will go much earlier to the spa. Did not spoil our experience too much as the hotel and staff were excellent.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your valentine's stay and will pass you feedback onto the team to ensure that they are aware of your satisfaction.

I do note your comment on the spa facilities, and whilst we have a thriving and active local membership, I appreciate that we may need to review and amend opening hours during special occasions such as Valentine's weekend to help make it more conducive to an enjoyable break - I will have the conversation with Cedars General Manager to share your thoughts and see what we ca do going forwards.

I hope to see you again at the Hotel in the future.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stay at this hotel frequently (not by choice), we know the hotel very well.

With room prices in excess of £160 a night, (sometimes £270 a night), the service and quality of rooms in general is almost akin to faulty towers. You would expect it to be more like £50 a night (Yes, we've stayed in travel lodges that are superior). The only good aspect of this hotel is the on site gym and pool (although the spa only partially works). Here is a breakdown of our latest stay, but it's by no means a one-off:

1. We walked into reception to be greeted by a grumpy man, no welcome, no smile (this type of service continues throughout your stay).

2. Walking into our room, it had hundreds of small dead flies on all surfaces, in the wardrobe, the bathroom and bathroom sink. This is no exaggeration; despite what the hotel management will tell you, there is a fly problem in some of the upstairs rooms, and they seem to come through vents. Management always tries to tell customers it's because they left the windows open (even when they've been closed the whole time). Knowing this, we wiped the flies off all surfaces, so we could unpack our clothes. We tried to complain to reception, only to met with a defiant reply "ok... anything else?" as if it's perfectly normal. We asked to be moved, but they didn't seem that willing or able to move us to another room, so we stayed where we were.

3. The 'do not disturb / service room' sign was missing. We asked reception to give us one so we could put it on the door and go to sleep. The reception man tried to persuade us "no one will disturb you, I promise", but we know from experience that the maids come in to clean the room in the morning if the sign isn't on while you sleep. After convoluted conversations with reception, 35 minutes later, (after fussing around coming in and out of our room and making us prove to them it was not there), they finally brought one, albeit with dried chocolate stains and ripped, but it did the job. It doesn't give the general feel of the price you're paying though.

4. Finally we went to sleep hoping the fly problem was limited to dead flies on surfaces. At 2 am we woke up to the feeling of things crawling on our skin. We turned the lights on to discover flies alive crawling all over us, our pillows and a lot under the duvet. We called reception about the problem again, and insisted on moving room. The receptionist man didn't apologise, and simply said "Ok. We have only standard rooms available though.", to which I replied "that's fine.", he said "really?", I said "yes," , he replied "But you have an executive room!", I replied "well yes, we'd rather a room that's fly-free", he replied "are you sure?". After a while trying to persuade him that flies were not an option for us, he moved us to a standard room downstairs.

4. We got to our new room in the early hours of the morning desperate for some sleep, to discover the sink was blocked and we couldn't do our teeth.

5. At 9am while we were still asleep, the reception desk gave a new guest the keys to our room. This was quite a shock to be woken up by. Fortunately, we had locked the door from the inside and put the 'do not disturb' sign on the outside. However, this didn't stop the guest trying to open the door repeatedly. The guest called a member of staff to help her get into our room. The staff member tried the key a few times, and proceeded to knock on the door loudly. I got out of bed naked and half asleep to over-hear them saying "It looks like the room is already locked from the inside, it must be taken by someone already, I'm sorry about that.". The guest sounded quite shocked, as were we. By the time I had started putting clothes on, they walked away. We tried to get back to sleep (a difficult task in this situation), and later complained to reception about it. The man at reception replied "well I was on this morning and I'm not aware of anything like that happening. It must have just been the maids." Unfortunately, just being believed in this hotel, is a problem.

6. We ordered a sandwich and bottle of water. It arrived at total price of £16.50. The sandwich looked unappetising and was equally inedible, bread soggy and tesco-value style, spread with vile tasting margerine, and almost no filling. It was quite unbelievable. Unfortunately, I was so hungry I forced it down and felt slightly ill afterwards. Food from anywhere in town is superior.

Unfortunately, these experiences are not unique at this hotel. We know this from many other guests, and from our own personal experiences, and you can also read the reviews online.

The carpets needs replacing, and walls re-plastered / painted.

We'll save reviews of our other stays for another time, they were equally as entertaining.

It's quite astounding the hotel is still in business. Such a shame as it wouldn't take much to improve.

Some of the rooms are ok, some bad (if they were £50 - £70 a night) If you're lucky enough to have no problems during your stay, then you're ok. But as soon as any problems occur, it can become quite convoluted to sort out. Certainly not worth £110 or £160 or even £270 a night. Despite the high food prices, if you want something edible you'd be better off getting a take away or something from town.

Until they refurbish & re-train staff, it's advisable to stay somewhere else (unless you need the gym and spa on site).

Room Tip: stay away from room 015 - fly problems.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank bob w
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback following your stay.

Needless to say, I am shocked, disappointed and concerned by the level of criticism directed at the bedrooms, Reception staff, Housekeeping services and the overall experience.

I have been present at the Hotel since November 2013, and I have had no other report of insects and flies. I have personally checked Room 15 - under the mattress, behind the bed, underneath the bed and around all working surfaces - and I can confirm that the room is free of insects. It goes without saying that the room has been serviced since your stay, and having questioned the housekeeping team, they cannot confirm the volumes of insects reported in your post. I am very sorry for any sign of insects or flies. You infer in your report it has happened before - I would be grateful for any specific information you can provide regarding this. For the sake of record, we do have a rolling maintenance contract with a national pest control company to ensure diligence and treatment where required. I will ask them to review all ducting and vents in and around room 15 as a matter of course.

I have discussed your feedback in relation to Reception, Housekeeping and Food service with my management team to ensure that the usual high standards of service, often reported on this site, are consistently delivered. I am truly sorry for any failing on behalf of my team to ensure your comfort and satisfaction.

Whilst my team moved your accommodation mid-way through the night in an attempt to help rectify the situation, I feel disappointed to have missed the opportunity to have discussed your stay with you personally before you left. Despite your repeat stays, it is clear that we do not meet, never mind exceed, your expectations. Whilst our rates are set in line with market demands and in line with market competitors, the perceived lack of value that you have experienced is clear from your feedback. Perhaps you could contact me directly on gm.richmond@akkeronhotels.com so we can discuss your experience directly and personally?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Reviewed 1 February 2014

This was my second stay at Richmond Gate hotel, and I don't think I will be back. A few negatives:

* The room was reasonable, but had rising damp on all the walls (it was slightly below ground level) and was old and tired.
* The internet was S.L.O.W and very laggy.... unusable for work (might be a good or bad thing).
* TV had been turned off at the main switch (took me a while to figure that out!)
* The towel was replaced with old towels with holes in them!
* Drinks at the bar were spectacularly overpriced ... a 200ml pepsi/coke set you back GBP2.50?!?! When questioned the staff were quite abrupt and rude about it
* No breakfast on Saturday / Sunday until 8am
* No dinner or lunch

Positives:
* Nice location at the top of the hill ... bit of a walk to the station / Richmond central but very pleasant
* Breakfast was good quality and tasty

Overall the internet, tiredness of the rooms, and the attitude of the staff (manager) when questioned about the price of drinks means I wont be back. Many other hotels in the area to try ...

Room Tip: Try to avoid the downstairs rooms
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for posting your comments.

I am sorry that your stay was so mixed. We are currently working on some roof repairs, following the ongoing and continuing poor weather, which has led to some leaks and damp patches in 4 bedrooms - which we have taken off service until we are happy that they are suitable for sale.

I have asked my Maintenance manager to have a look at the internet provision. I stay at the Hotel regularly and have not experienced the issue personally, but it may be that the pick up receivers need to be altered slightly - thanks for pointing it out.

Similarly, my Head Housekeeper will review the towel comments and quality. Clearly it is unacceptable for their to be holes in your towels and I can only apologise for this oversight.

I appreciate your positive comments regarding breakfast and take on board your comment regarding opening times, which is a fair point and we will review. I am unsure as to your comment around lunch or dinner - I am presuming you did not take it, rather than it not being available?

Finally, I will discuss your comment regarding rude and abrupt bar staff with my Food and Beverage Manager as this is highly disappointing. Whilst we set out prices in line with competitor Hotels, I will not tolerate poor attitude and, as you will see from the vast majority of comments on this site, we generally deliver a far more positive service experience.

I trust this response reflects my respect for your comments and my desire to use them positively. Thank you again for posting your feedback.

Reviewed 29 January 2014

The Richmond Gate Hotel is a lovely building yards from Richmond park. All the staff were wonderfully friendly and helpful. At breakfast they produced Soya milk instantly I mentioned my dairy allergy. The hotel has a serene atmosphere. We walked into the wrong breakfast room on Saturday by mistake to find a professional football team staying. We did not know they were their. I think the tranquil atmosphere helped them behave quietly . The breakfasts included a good range of choice, the hot food was actually hot( unlike many a hotel).The little known about " North London Line" over ground takes you by train from Richmond station to Kew, Hampstead, Islington or further East. Alternatively the drive is easy and quick into London and its location almost in Richmond park makes it a pleasant alternative to Central London Hotels.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
GMRichmond, Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you for your feedback and I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

We have been working hard to ensure our recently implemented breakfast standard remains fresh and appetising - including a focus on responding to specific dietary requirements - and it clearly set you up to enjoy the Hotel and location.

It is always a pleasure to read such positive comments about the team at the Hotel. They work exceptionally hard to deliver the best possible customer care and it is very gratifying for them to read feedback such as yours.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Richmond Gate again in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to post such a positive review.