“very average (being kind...)”

Richmond Gate Hotel
Ranked #10 of 15 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have stayed here a couple of times now and, so far, I wasn't quite sure whether this hotel is average or, below average. Now, having experienced dinner in the restaurant, I'm sure it's very below average. The only reason not to rate it as 'poor' is that the staff are actually helpful - when you can find them and ask for what you'd like that is...
This is your typical 80's experience. Lots of stairs, up and down, and lots of corridors leading to, mainly, small rooms; some of them with limited daylight due to their location in the souterrain. Minbars all empty and air-cons with varying degrees of effectiveness (sometimes "zero" effectiveness i.e. broken). Go to the bar and there's usually no-one there to serve you so; you either have to be patient for a rather long time until someone shows up or, you need to go and look for someone. Same for the restaurant. Once you have managed to be shown a table you'd be confronted with an unimaginative menu and, only if you're "stuck" in the 80's, you'd be "delighted" to find old favourites like sirloin with chips, mushroom and tomato or breast of chicken (really ???). Execution of the dishes reminds you, you’ve guessed it, of the 80’s again. Lack of seasoning and luke warm. Combine that with super overpriced drinks (e.g. 17 GBP for a glass of wine) and you’re paying out GBP 50 for a very mediocre meal (that’s for one person – no dessert !) and you’d need to be very kind to rate this place as average…

Room Tip: Make sure you don't get a room in the souterrain. These are small and have very limted daylight...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for your recent review. I was very sorry to read that you described your stay with us as “very average”. I must apologise that you felt the standard of room that you were allocated was small and not to your liking we do of course offer an executive or suite room type at an additional cost.
I was disappointed to read your comment in reference to the style of food and I will of course be discussing this as a matter with the Head Chef.
We are in fact reviewing our beverage prices at the moment and we carry out regular competitor checks. To be honest I am having difficulty finding a glass of wine at £17.00 per glass that we serve I can only assume that you are mistaken?
I agree the mini bar in your standard room was empty I wish to assure you that this is intentional. Mini bars may be stocked on your request or simply used as a fridge for your own refreshments I am sorry that you were disappointed with this facility.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.
Thank you once again for your feedback

Nick Henry

Write a ReviewReviews (1,038)

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed for two nights as friends were getting married in the hotel. (Great ceremony!)
Staff were attentive, knowledgable and really helpful. Beautiful location with loads of top pubs and eateries in walking distance. The inclusive Spa had all the usual - running machines, exercise bikes, weights room, a good sized pool, hydrotherapy pool with steam room and sauna.
A memorable stay in a lovely hotel in a special location.
Recommended.....and Nick, the "Weller-esque" manager was top.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us; it is always great to read comments such as yours. On a personal note thank you for your kind words. As always It always gives me great pleasure to read comments about the team as they are our greatest asset
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit Richmond.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

We stayed here for two nights last weekend (May 23/24) for the wedding of friends. The staff were excellent, the rooms were clean and of good order with quality toiletries etc. The wedding was held at the hotel and the service, meal and overall customer care was very good. The recently appointed manager, Nick, really went out of his way to make sure everyone's needs we're attended to, even providing a private room for the wedding guests on the Sunday morning. Certainly a hotel I will go back to.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the spa, slight smell of chlorine.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read how much you had enjoyed the wedding which you attended. It is always great to read comments about the service team members have provided and on a personal note thank you for your kind words.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel I do hope this sooner rather than later.

Kind regards

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Stayed here last Sunday for one night, room 42.We were in two minds whether to stay at the hotel due to some of the negative reviews but we are so glad we did stay. Easy to park and the reception staff were very polite and helpful. The room was well furnished, normally I have trouble sleeping at hotels but we had a great night's sleep, the bed was very comfy.
The hotel is very well situated just 10 mins walk to some lovely looking restaurants, we ate in Chez Lindsay's which was great.
Visited the pool area which was very quiet and relaxing and again very polite staff.
We were so impressed we have booked for two nights in June for our wedding anniversary.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank johnT1963

Thank you for your recent comments on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed experience. It is always a huge honour to read comments about team members and the service they have provided. I am grateful that we were able to overcome your apprehensions unfortunately on occasion some guests are quick to give negative feedback on sites such as this and therefore I thank you for keeping an open mind and taking the time to make a positive review I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in June.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Location fab, hotel good although found the rooms tad small for the twin room we had. The weather was hot so didn't use the facilities as there was so much to do in Richmond itself with Royal Parks & restaurants nearby. Staff really helpful and friendly.

1  Thank Daisay

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read how much you had both enjoyed your “Girlie Weekend” with us. It is always me great pleasure to read comments about the friendly and helpful service that team members have provided.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel for your next excursion to Richmond.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We recently held our wedding at Richmond Gate Hotel, and Nick, Paco and the rest of the staff couldn't have given us a better time. Nothing was too much trouble, and little touches made all the difference - special meal for the children, a post wedding breakfast for all our guests to compare hangovers! The food was impressive and the rooms beautifully appointed. I know this hotel has had a troubled past over the last twelve months due to changes in management - but give it a go as Nick and the team are turning it around. A fantastic location to explore London and the surrounds with unbelievable views over the Thames

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Adele H

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read how much you had both enjoyed your wedding day, and that we played a small part in making it a little more memorable. It is always a huge honour to read comments about individual team members and on a personal note thank you for your kind words and giving up your time to make them.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel which I hope this is long before your first anniversary.

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 May 2014

This hotel is in a great location, but having returned several times feel that the staff purely go through the motions - maybe it is so busy that returning customers like us are just not valued. We've decided to give it a miss on our next visit and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the original hotel and not in the modern block.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rose1111
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website .We do place a high level of focus on staff training and service, and I have to say that I am extremely disappointed to read about your experience. I do note that your stay was back in February and whilst I acknowledge your experience it is difficult for me to comment on specifics as some time has elapsed and as I only started with the property in March I can only comment on how we now identify returning customers. I really would welcome some more specific details of your experience first-hand if you could contact me at the hotel I would be most grateful I trust that my response, to some degree, gives reassurance that all customer feedback is respected and understood. I am sorry that we fell short of your mark in February but I do hope to hear from you directly maybe you will decide to stay with us again once we have spoken.

Thank you once again for your feedback