“a surprise birthday treat”

Richmond Gate Hotel
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Richmond
BOURNEMOUTH
“a surprise birthday treat”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed at the Richmond Gate Monday 18th overnight, I have never been to Richmond before and on first impression I knew that I was going to enjoy my stay! We thought the hotel was lovely,so full of character and the most comfortable hotel bed i have ever slept in. The staff were friendly and the food was lovely, and as it was my birhday I felt very special in staying in such a lovely place. We can't wait to come back !

Room Tip: rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Thank you for your recent comments on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a great stay with us and how much you had enjoyed experience and that you felt looked after by the team.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Richmond Gate again in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to post a positive review.

Nick Henry

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
derbyshire
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Got a good deal on this hotel. Nice room overlooking the garden. Bed was enormous and very comfortable. We tried the swimming pool which was quite cold. The sauna wasn't working but everything else seemed ok - nothing exciting, but adequate. Couldn't understand the gentleman on reception which was a bit embarrassing. Position was good - couple of nice pubs for dining nearby. Didn't opt for breakfast so can't comment but found lovely cafe 5 mins walk away serving fresh croissants etc. richmond park is just across the road and would have been wonderful if the weather had been better.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a good stay with us. I certainly take on board some of the other feed-back you have given thank you for providing a balance review of THe Richmond Gate.

Warminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2014

We stayed at the Richmond Gate for a recent convention and after reading the reviews were a little worried what it would be like. We needn't have worried we had an enjoyable stay. The staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel is very nice, our room was clean and the bed very comfortable. We had breakfast at the hotel and service was good it was buffet style and the staff were extremely efficient making sure everything was topped up if running low, there was plenty to choose from. My parents stayed too and had a couple small problems in their room which were rectified immediately. Would definitely visit the hotel again if going to Richmond.

Room Tip: We had room 200 which looked into garden and near conservatory although diners in conservatory would...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website.
I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us; it is always great to read comments such as yours and hopefully dispels some of the negative comments we receive.
Therefore I thank you for keeping an open mind and taking the time to make a positive review.

Munich, Germany
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Got an excellent, spacious room at a very low rate.

Great location, next to the great park, but about a £7 taxi fare from the train station

Richmond Hill & river about 10-20 min away.

Staff very friendly and helpful and parking is available as well

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent comments on the tripadvisor website. I was delighted to read that you had enjoyed your stay with us. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to the hotel when you next visit

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed here on a travel zoo deal for one night. The staff were really lovely I must say, the room was small but nice & clean & comfortable. Hotel was nicely situated for the very nice Richmond Park & other attractions near by. It was a little on noisy side early morning with the planes overhead. We had dinner there which wasn't quite as stated on the menu, it was nice though even though the portion sizes for the main courses were very small, Novell cuisine style.
The breakfast was good, plenty of it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
It is always a pleasure to read such positive comments about the team at the Hotel. They work exceptionally hard to deliver the best possible customer care and it is very gratifying for them to read feedback such as yours.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Richmond Gate again in the future. Thank you again for taking the time to post such a positive review.

Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My Husband booked this hotel as a Travel zoo deal for my birthday present. We wanted to do river walking for two days so this wonderful hotel on Richmond Hill certainly fitted the bill. The staff were good on arrival and our room was comfortable. Great bed, i did ignore the ripped duvet cover, We had done our 10 mile river walk and were looking forward to dinner. The whole reason was that we knew we would be tired after a long day so chose not to walk to a restaurant. Well what a let down. Four choices for the two courses. The only one we wanted on the starter menu was not available. So we had a second choice. The waiter did try to be helpful but it was the smallest portion. I had fish for my main course. Which was basically just fried in lots of butter with a tomoto cut up and chopped new potatoes swimming in greasy butter. I was so so dissapointed. The dining experience lasted 55 minutes. We could not believe it. Went to bed hungry, dreaming of the breakfast the following day. We were up at 7am..........

Looking at these reviews I feel it is interesting that only one recently eat a meal. Most is afternoon tea.

This is a good hotel but I would never go again and would cerntaily not recommend it. Funnily enough my niece worked there 7 years ago and we all thought it was lovely.

Room Tip: I always ask for a quiet location within the hotel which seems to work for us.
1 Thank helenwadd
GMRichmond, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, 19 August 2014
I am extremely disappointed to read that you felt that “dinner was a disgrace” I was also frustrated to read that the Duty Manager did not have the opportunity to rectify your problems whilst you were with us - I am sure that my management team could have offered or some alternative suggestions for dinner if they had been aware of your disappointment. I will of course be discussing this as a matter of urgency with the Head Chef. Please accept my sincere apology for your experience.
I do appreciate and respect your opinion so thank you for taking the time to make it and I am sorry that based on this you would not choose to stay in future.
As I am sure you can appreciate I cannot influence what aspects of a stay my customers choose to review, because as with all sites of this nature guest comments can be subjective and varied.

Thank you once again for your feedback

Sherfield On Loddon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Stayed here just for one night on a Groupon offer which included cream tea and breakfast. We arrived before check in, the hotel stored our case while we went into Richmond. Staff on reception were friendly and polite. Our room was downstairs, fairly small but had everything you need, bathroom had bath and shower (very good shower), on the negative side the view from our window was the back of another building. Cream tea was nice but the restaurant does lack atmosphere and needs smartening up, waiter not particulary friendly or communicative. Breakfast was good, hot food limited selection but what they had seemed to be good quality (no black pudding, mushrooms), staff friendly, coffee served quickly. Good location for the town and park.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent comments on the trip advisor website. I was pleased to read that overall you had a good stay .I certainly take on board the other observations you have made.With regard your comments to our hot breakfast offering I can confirm that our current company breakfast standard does exclude these items.
It is only through comments such as those you have made that we are able to improve our standard and service.