“Really good sunday roast”
Review of The Duke Pub

The Duke Pub
Ranked #63 of 315 Restaurants in Richmond
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 June 2014

A reliable Sunday roast for the family. Prompt and friendly service, good menu range. Have a brisk walk round the Green afterwards to walk off those carbs!

Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Duke never lets you down, I have enjoyed Sunday lunch, dinner and a drink or snack after work before heading home after a long day. The staff are always friendly but it can be quite busy on the weekends.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I have a mixed response to The Duke Pub. I'll start with the positive.
Nicely decorated, roomy and airy. Staff are polite and friendly. We were given very generous compensation for the issues we had.
The negative. On booking, we requested a high chair. This was not in place when we arrived, so we had to ask again. The ratio of staff to customers was balanced, but it we were left without the offer of drinks on a number of occasions meaning we had to keep getting up to go to the bar or to look for servers. When I booked I specifically asked if they catered for vegetarians, I was told they did. The vegetarian main was a risotto with Parmesan. I questioned this as Parmesan is not suitable for vegetarians. I was assured they had a veggie alternative. If this is true, please make it clear on your menu that you are using a non calfs rennet cheese in your veggie dishes. Sadly we were kept waiting a very long time for our meals, but we were offered generous compensation for the wait. However, having to nip out and move the car to a different car park to avoid a fine is a little extreme between courses!!
Sadly my risotto was lacking in vegetarian cheese and the shallots were still a little harsh. The boys burgers were (I'm told) a little bland the chips were
ace, but the buns dry.
The desserts were very nice. Overall, ok I guess. Service needs speeding up and to be more consistent, we had maybe four different servers. I'd go back for drinks, but I don't really rate the food.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

We really like the Duke as it consistently delivers good food and service in a relaxed cosy atmosphere. We have been going here for the last 10 years and always enjoy it. They have just had new Chef Andrea start and the sample dinner menu we were lucky enough to try along side new wines was lovely, the duck egg with asparagus and wild garlic leaves was one of the best starters we have tasted anywhere, likewise the chocolate pave with rasberry sorbet on crumble base sublime and we don't normally do desserts.........
Lunch time and Pre theatre 2 courses are also incredible value. It's always busy at the weekends
But worth the wait or pre book.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

We found ourselves hungry and in Richmond at about 4pm last Tuesday. We decided to venture into the Duke.

They were kind enough to let us have their lunch deal despite the time! I chose fish and chips, my Fiancé had the steak sandwich. As we are from Yorkshire, we are rather choosy about fish and chips and I would usually avoid it in the South, just because I am not too keen on cod...

BUT - I enjoyed it so much. Every morsel of that food had been thoughtfully prepared, the batter was very light, the chips fluffy on the inside and slightly crisp outside. Even the tartare sauce seemed to be handmade and the mushy peas ... well they were like no other mushy peas I had ever experienced.

If you are in Richmond, you really must go there to eat! It seems like a nice place just for a drink as well. The lunch deal included a glass of wine or beer. My wine was really delicious.

1  Thank CartMoore