“Decidedley Average”

Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Richmond
“Decidedley Average”
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Walking past this pub we were impressed by the first impression so decided to have lunch here, rather than our intended destination.

The staff were quick, polite and fairly friendly and recommended an excellent bottle of Rose to start with. The menu offered a reasonable choice at fairly good prices, although the 'special' deals were not clearly identified at the start. We opted for macaroni cheese and the seasonal pate, with a side of hand cut chips. The food arrived promptly and again out waitress confirmed that all was to our satisfaction.

The macaroni cheese was obviously party of a larger batch, as it arrived plate on plate so had been subjected to the dreaded microwave, which completely melted the cheese sauce giving it more of an oily rather than cheesy consistency. The pate was bland with a rather old tasting red onion relish.

All in ll the food did not do the venue justice, it was clear that we were the last lunchtime service, as the chef and staff settled down to eat and do paperwork fairly close to us

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank magoo63

“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

Went to the Duke today on impulse for lunch with my elderly Mum. We both had the steak and chips. It was excellent. Steak cooked exactly as we both requested. Chips crisp on the outside and fluffy inside. Also came with a very good side salad of rocket and goats cheese. Staff were lovely. A warm greeting on arrival. Friendly and helpful waitress. Even a nice goodbye. Can't understand why it wasn't busier. Have been before and the service can be a little slow sometimes but that doesn't detract from the overall experience. Go there!!

1 Thank Keith S
London, United Kingdom
“Really good sunday roast”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

A reliable Sunday roast for the family. Prompt and friendly service, good menu range. Have a brisk walk round the Green afterwards to walk off those carbs!

Visited March 2014
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Girly catch up”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Duke never lets you down, I have enjoyed Sunday lunch, dinner and a drink or snack after work before heading home after a long day. The staff are always friendly but it can be quite busy on the weekends.

Visited June 2014
Bromley, United Kingdom
“Unrealised potential”
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

I have a mixed response to The Duke Pub. I'll start with the positive.
Nicely decorated, roomy and airy. Staff are polite and friendly. We were given very generous compensation for the issues we had.
The negative. On booking, we requested a high chair. This was not in place when we arrived, so we had to ask again. The ratio of staff to customers was balanced, but it we were left without the offer of drinks on a number of occasions meaning we had to keep getting up to go to the bar or to look for servers. When I booked I specifically asked if they catered for vegetarians, I was told they did. The vegetarian main was a risotto with Parmesan. I questioned this as Parmesan is not suitable for vegetarians. I was assured they had a veggie alternative. If this is true, please make it clear on your menu that you are using a non calfs rennet cheese in your veggie dishes. Sadly we were kept waiting a very long time for our meals, but we were offered generous compensation for the wait. However, having to nip out and move the car to a different car park to avoid a fine is a little extreme between courses!!
Sadly my risotto was lacking in vegetarian cheese and the shallots were still a little harsh. The boys burgers were (I'm told) a little bland the chips were
ace, but the buns dry.
The desserts were very nice. Overall, ok I guess. Service needs speeding up and to be more consistent, we had maybe four different servers. I'd go back for drinks, but I don't really rate the food.

• Visited June 2014