“Better than i anticipated”
Review of Ham House

Ham House
Ranked #4 of 56 things to do in Richmond
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Splendidly preserved 17th-century house and gardens.
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Took 3 children age 11, unsure if the house would be interesting enough for them- It was! Some good hands on stuff in the basement kitchen, and house not too big that they got bored. Liked the 'spooky' stories, and the Cafe and second hand book area. Lovely area around, very close to river, nice shaded areas for picnic or relaxing. Will return without the kids to visit the gardens, nice afternoon out! Was advised at the gate that i would need to show my NT card again at the house, guess as its so close to the river and public space they cannot easily monitor that everyone who makes it to the door is a member.

1  Thank margaret h
"formal gardens"
in 13 reviews
"long gallery"

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I just arrived in the country after a very long (34hr) flight and it was early morning - not much to do until my hotel lets me check in. As a member of Heritage NZ I get free or reduced entry into National Trust and British Heritage sites so I downloaded the app for both and checked what's within 10 miles of my location - and presto Ham House came up.

I did arrive a bit early but took a walk along the Thames from the carpark (not very well signposted that one has to park there by the way) - on arrival no fuss about my nz membership card - I got told that because it was the weekend they would have a short introductory talk in the servants quarters and also a guided walk through the gardens around 11.30 - but in the meantime the "downstairs" part was already open.

I found the staff very friendly and ready to help at any opportunity (unlike some other reviewers), one has to bear in mind they are all volunteers and give their time freely to help us understand such a grand house.

Both the talk and the walk I liked - the walk in particular as our guide was very passionate about all the plants in the gardens and the explanation that they are all contemporary with the property.

The cafe on the other hand is a bit of a let down - they have all this nice produce outside - why can't they make a lovely summer salad? They only had 3-4 dishes - none of which I would say where summery but staff was very friendly nonetheless.

Overall a great house to visit and very interesting history of greater London!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Beautiful 17th C house close to Thames in Richmond. National Trust property.
Superb collection of paintings, furniture, textiles & ornaments.
Explore the old servants quarters before settling down to refreshments in the Orangery cafe.
Lovely gardens to stroll around, plus formal garden & kitchen garden too.Guided tours available.

Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

The house is beautiful, such a marvel. The house is totally worth it. The gardens are not as big or great as you may expect but you are close to Richmond park so I doubt that's an issue to anyone.
My only issue were the staff here. My membership card got scanned at entry (as it happens in all national trust properties) and the house is a mere 50 m away from the entry. I was rushing and left my card with my partner who wished to go to the gardens. It was close to closing so I rushed in without thinking. 2 ladies were at the entry of the house. I was expecting a "welcome to ham house" but one of the ladies just extended her hand to me. I was puzzled and then she asked me for my card. I told her I didn't have it and that my card always gets scanned once in all national trust properties - at the entry. She looked at me as if I was a criminal expecting free entry! For a minute I thought she wasn't going to let me in, and I had made the trip exclusively to a see the house which was closing in 30 minutes. She then let me in fortunately. What an odd system. It's the first time NT requests to see my card twice. The rest of the guides inside the house were fortunately as helpful and knowledgeable as they usually are in most NT properties. It's such a shame that they put the grumpy ones at entry - as they say "first impressions really matter". I felt this stunning property deserves better. Maybe starting off by telling people they need their cards to get into the house would also be a good start as this is not done like this in other properties they own!

See more reviews
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The best thing about Ham House is its location which is on the banks of the Thames. The House itself is interesting and the garden layout gives some idea of how it was in its previous life; impossible however to recreate the grandeur, with a handful of NT gardeners compared we imagine with the army of servants that maintained the original garden. Food in café excellent - ambiance outside on a nice sunny day very good, inside bit sparse. We walked to Richmond along the banks of the Thames which is magical and there is a ferry to get to the opposite bank not far down from Ham House.

1  Thank GrahamH728