“Not great but not bad”

Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Richmond
Bannockburn
“Not great but not bad”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked accommodation for 2 nights (19th and 20th July) for a wedding at the Pembroke Lodge Richmond on Sunday 20th July. To be perfectly honest, there were as many good points as there were bad points regarding our experience. I will start with the negatives. Checking in was like stepping back in time to the days of old banks or cinemas where the staff were positioned in a cubicle or behind a protected counter. Not the most welcome of receptions indeed. This hotel is very small and our allocated double room would suit the likes of Jimmy Krankie or Jimmy Clitheroe as it was tiny and cramped. I measured 9 inches from the bottom of our double bed to the wall it pointed to so Peter Crouch and folk of his stature should give this place a miss. London as well as Richmond was enjoying a heat wave but unfortunately this involved not only searing heat by day but clammy nights, which meant we were sleeping in a room comparable to a sauna. The window could only open about 6 inches and as we were on the street side as opposed to the side facing the river, there was no cool breeze, in fact, no air. There was a small tower fan but it made no difference. In the morning, after 'sleeping' naked on top of the bed sheets, we left our body shapes in sweat. Getting ready for the wedding was fraught with problems as when applying my make-up it kept sliding off my face. My husband was in and out of the shower standing under a cold spray in order to cool his head which was constantly soaking with sweat.
The condition of the furniture and fabric was about average - not dirty but needing an update. The window desperately wanted cleaning both outside and in. The space for luggage and clothing etc. was minimal. In the ensuite bathroom/shower there was nowhere except the top of the cistern to store personal toiletries.
The good points perhaps outweigh all the negatives. The Richmond Park is very clean and friendly. Although the three members of staff we met during our stay were Eastern European, they were pleasant and helpful. The hotel is near the railway station so no need for taxis as you can walk the distance in minutes. It is made quite clear, on the website, that there are no car parking facilities available but as we travelled by train this was not an issue.
A fantastic range of shops, restaurants and bars are on its doorstep.
The breakfast, despite being continental, is more than adequate - lots of cereals, fruits, fresh juices, cheeses, boiled ham and toast (to order) along with coffee and tea. The small breakfast room is attractive and airy.
The ensuite shower/bathroom was clinically clean with welcome touches such as shower cap, soap, shampoo, shoeshine and soft clean towels which were supplied each day of our stay.
Our room had a telephone, radio, flat screened TV, hairdryer as well as free Wifi. Tea and coffee making facilities were also part of the package.
I would recommend this hotel for a short stay like ours. It was adequate for our needs but not a place to base if touring London for longer than 2 days.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank DebbieReynolds

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Devonport
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Accommodation in the vicinity of London is generally expensive and we found this to be very good value.
The room, although quite small was clean and comfortable as was the bed.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the continental breakfast exceeded our expectations.
We were on the top floor which was a bit of an issue as there is no lift and parking can be a problem but with advice from the staff we overcame the problem. The location be the river at Richmond is convenient for a number of the attractions. don't expect 5 star accommodation but we enjoyed our two there and would recommend it as a budget option.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a river view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PhilDevonport
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I needed somewhere to stay for a night in Richmond, and didn't want to pay a fortune. I picked this hotel, and rapidly regretted it.

I'm not against the fact that this hotel has no parking. It says that up-front, so you can't expect that to change between booking and arriving.

I'm not even against the face that the room was small - I only need to sleep in it.

I am against it because it doesn't seem to care about presenting a good service to customers.

This starts out with not being able to get in until the bell has been answered some time after hanging around outside a while. Then you get to check in through a little glass hatch reminiscent of a prison guard station.

The room when I found it (no signs from the stairwell) was at best tired, and at worst dirty and dilapidated. The door was hanging off the bedside table, the TV had no aerial, the carpet looked like it could tell a few stories. In fact it looked like it was almost capable getting up and leaving all by itself. The bed was wobbly and the mattress was lumpy, bumpy, and you could feel the springs in your back.

It is in a great location, and isn't hugely expensive, but overall the experience is a poor one - One I will not repeat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank SpringfieldKitchen

Travellers are raving about these Richmond hotels

Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We won a overnight stay at a London hotel and chose this hotel (which it isn't, it's a B&B at best suitable for visiting workmen) for its location and due to it showing as 'per friendly', which it wasn't!

After a 2hr drive and arriving at 1pm, we were informed we couldn't book-in until 2pm so we drove around for nearly 30 minutes looking for somewhere to park, which is neigh on impossible! Most roads are residents only and if your lucky to find a spot elsewhere, but nowhere near the hotel, its £11 or 4 hours! We were informed of the NCP car park at the railway station and that was £13 for 24hrs! So we parked the car and took our small well behaved Terrier along the Thames Path which we enjoyed, a good 1hr walk down towards Teddington Lock and back again, with that done we headed back to the 'hotel' to book-in.

You have to ring the bell to gain access on the busy road which once in takes you to an unmanned reception at the foot of some very steep stairs in a very narrow hallway where we were informed our room was on the 1st floor (105). The receptionist asked how we'd like to pay, we explained we had won the stay and had a booking reference, she said she had no knowledge of the payment being received and would need to make some phone calls immediately, this was very uncomfortable. On entering the room my head dropped, I know we won the overnight stay and chose this hotel (B&B) but we had spent out an unplanned amount on fuel (250 mile round trip) and parking and this room was extremely small and very tired looking, the furniture looked like it had been purchased from a local second-hand shop! We now also had to buy some food to bring back to our room as the "hotel" supplies no hot food at any time, not even breakfast, I find this strange, especially as it came up as a "pet friendly hotel" which is then obvious to anyone with pets that local restaurants and cafe's are of no use to us with a dog in tow!

We bought some Fish & Chips from next-door and decided to have a quick nap before our planned 2nd walk around the picturesque gardens down the road. Unfortunately, and has been mentioned previously, the neighbouring residents, or as I believe a possible staff bedroom was in constant use and doors were being allowed to slam shut which made our dog bark, which isn't surprising in such a small cramped unfamiliar room and noises coming from all around us!

I am very strong but it took all my strength to get the secondary double glazed window up so I could pull down and close the filthy and dirty sash window in an attempt to muffle the noise from the very busy road/s this 'B&B' is situated on, which helped slightly but with a corridor door immediately outside our room, creaking stairs and floorboards along with neighbours doors slamming, our dog barked, in fact we also jumped whilst attempting to have a quick afternoon nap when a neighbouring door slammed!

We then had a visit from the receptionist who said that we had declared our dog as 'well behaved' but they are getting complaints about his barks! I refute that anyone complained as we saw no other residents and there are no reasons for any residents to come in & out of their rooms consistently slamming doors as there are no other facilities within the B&B to go to, which enforces my opinion that it was a staff bedroom and possibly that of the receptionist!

She attempted to tell me that the corridor door had a slow closer fitted but I demonstrated that the neighbouring rooms didn't as I slammed our door shut showing her what was happening to the side of us making our dog bark, she would not except this (possibly because it was herself) so I said we were not staying where we are not welcome and that the hotel (B&B) was totally unsuitable and walked out and drove the 126 miles home!

What a very expensive day and experience, and what a terrible and poorly, incorrectly described establishment.

We were really pleased to have won this overnight stay as its unlikely we'll have a holiday this year and wanted to make the most of it but at its £89.00 Special Offer price, for those that pay, its massively over priced, I've stayed in cleaner, larger and more comfortable Travel Lodges for a 1/3rd of the price, it obviously preys on its location but the accommodation isn't worth it!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Robbie1959
Leeds
Reviewed 25 April 2014

The hotel reminds me of the 1980s. The room contained a single bed with blankets and a counterpane, so tightly tucked in that you feel as if your legs are in a vice when you get into the bed! Your only chance of a comfortable night comes from pulling out all of the tucked in bedclothes. The fitted furniture is similarly dated. Heating comes from a portable oil-filled radiator; the radiator mounted on the wall was chipped and appeared not to work. The carpet was in need of replacement.

My single room was tiny, and the walls were thin; not sure whether the occupant of the room next to mine took a particular delight in noisily slamming doors, but it made for a noisy stay.

The bathroom was clean, but in need of an update. The shower was old, but had plenty of power.

There were two separate signs warning guests not to leave the light on and the window open, for fear of midges and moths. Good advice, I'm sure, but were two signs really necessary?

The hotel feels more like a B&B; if you arrive before 7pm you have to ring a bell for admittance. There's no lift, but that didn't concern me.

The good bits were as follows:

The bed was very comfortable.

The staff were very pleasant.

Breakfast, served in a small room next to the reception, was good.

The location was excellent - right in the middle of Richmond, and walkable from everywhere you'd want to visit.

Overall, a functional and rather old fashioned hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Finance23
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Have just stayed here for the weekend as was down to run the London marathon. Fantastic location 2mins from Richmond centre, fab staff who let us keep the bags there. Free WiFi. Opened breakfast early

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alister R
Great Massingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 April 2014

On arriving the hotel hadn't received my booking, which I appreciate isn't their fault, but luckily they had a spare room for me so I ended up in a twin room rather than a single, which was fine by me. I'd warn you that if you are tall/broad/big in anyway do not get a single bed as I'm sure they are narrower than a normal single bed. The rooms are very basic, dated furniture, but the bathroom was clean & the shower was powerful. The windows are quite thin so if you get a room facing onto the road be warned that it is a little noisy. The mattress wasn't the comfiest but I was so tired that I was grateful for a bed, however when I pulled back the quilt there were 3 flying insects under it, so I searched the rest of the quilt for anymore. I didn't eat breakfast here so i can't rate that, you do get free wifi in your room, however mine wasn't working after 10pm. This a very basic hotel & is cheap considering the area, it's fine for a short break but I doubt you'd want to stay here too long.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Lovelle2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Richmond Hill Hotel
Bingham
Bingham
#5 of 14 in Richmond
The Coach and Horses

Been to Richmond Park Hotel? Share your experiences!