“2nd Experience not so good”

Richmond Park Hotel
Ranked #13 of 14 Hotels in Richmond
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I last reviewed this hotel over a year ago and found my experience to be largely positive. This time my pleasure was reduced by the room temperature.
Previous reviews have mentioned the radiators being on despite it being August. I too found this to be the case. A mobile air con unit had been placed in the bedroom as obviously staff are trying to address this, but there was no way of making it run quietly so it was not really effective. Also the window had been wedged open in order for the air con unit to be flued outside. This led to us having a lot of disturbance from street noise both people and traffic as our room was at the front of the hotel.
The radiators being on needs to be sorted out. Also I suggest they forget offering a 4ft 6 double and put twin beds in all rooms. That gives more space per individual and they can be pushed together if needed. It also leads to more flexible letting. Breakfast was good as it was last time and staff service good. They are just being let down by the hotel really.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the side facing the river to avoid street noise.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 August 2014

First night was awful, room was very small and cramped. I actually had to climb over the bed to get to the other side as it was wall-wall in length.
Barely got any sleep as when we arrived the radiator was on full (middle of summer) and even though we managed to turn it off, we still had to have the window open all night as it was unbearably hot. Only problem is you have a bar next door and as our room was at the front of the property they revellers may as well of been in our room with us.

The following morning I complained and asked to move rooms, which wasn't an issue and the receptionist didn't even ask why? I'm presuming this is a common issue.

We were moved to the back of the hotel which is much quieter, however you'd be better off washing in the sink than attempting to use the shower (if you could call it that) as it merely dribbles out.
Be aware of cleanliness.. I actually slept on top of the bed.
Far too many inconspicuous hairs!!!

If you are coming to Richmond for business, like myself then I suggest you avoid this hotel! Which is a shame as it's in a convenient area!!

Premier Inn from now on, which is a shame as I always try to support local business' especially on my travels..
Wish money and a better cleaner!!! This hotel could be a gold mine.. Shame

Room Tip: Back of the hotel. (River view)
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank TravellingBSP
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Stayed at this hotel recently which is centrally located in Richmond and is only a few mins from the river- However the hotel is very tired the carpets in the room we stayed in were old and the furniture was very tired the room itself was very small with no air con on a very warm day. The staff were very friendly and happy to help

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KevAfc
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We booked accommodation for 2 nights (19th and 20th July) for a wedding at the Pembroke Lodge Richmond on Sunday 20th July. To be perfectly honest, there were as many good points as there were bad points regarding our experience. I will start with the negatives. Checking in was like stepping back in time to the days of old banks or cinemas where the staff were positioned in a cubicle or behind a protected counter. Not the most welcome of receptions indeed. This hotel is very small and our allocated double room would suit the likes of Jimmy Krankie or Jimmy Clitheroe as it was tiny and cramped. I measured 9 inches from the bottom of our double bed to the wall it pointed to so Peter Crouch and folk of his stature should give this place a miss. London as well as Richmond was enjoying a heat wave but unfortunately this involved not only searing heat by day but clammy nights, which meant we were sleeping in a room comparable to a sauna. The window could only open about 6 inches and as we were on the street side as opposed to the side facing the river, there was no cool breeze, in fact, no air. There was a small tower fan but it made no difference. In the morning, after 'sleeping' naked on top of the bed sheets, we left our body shapes in sweat. Getting ready for the wedding was fraught with problems as when applying my make-up it kept sliding off my face. My husband was in and out of the shower standing under a cold spray in order to cool his head which was constantly soaking with sweat.
The condition of the furniture and fabric was about average - not dirty but needing an update. The window desperately wanted cleaning both outside and in. The space for luggage and clothing etc. was minimal. In the ensuite bathroom/shower there was nowhere except the top of the cistern to store personal toiletries.
The good points perhaps outweigh all the negatives. The Richmond Park is very clean and friendly. Although the three members of staff we met during our stay were Eastern European, they were pleasant and helpful. The hotel is near the railway station so no need for taxis as you can walk the distance in minutes. It is made quite clear, on the website, that there are no car parking facilities available but as we travelled by train this was not an issue.
A fantastic range of shops, restaurants and bars are on its doorstep.
The breakfast, despite being continental, is more than adequate - lots of cereals, fruits, fresh juices, cheeses, boiled ham and toast (to order) along with coffee and tea. The small breakfast room is attractive and airy.
The ensuite shower/bathroom was clinically clean with welcome touches such as shower cap, soap, shampoo, shoeshine and soft clean towels which were supplied each day of our stay.
Our room had a telephone, radio, flat screened TV, hairdryer as well as free Wifi. Tea and coffee making facilities were also part of the package.
I would recommend this hotel for a short stay like ours. It was adequate for our needs but not a place to base if touring London for longer than 2 days.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DebbieReynolds
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Accommodation in the vicinity of London is generally expensive and we found this to be very good value.
The room, although quite small was clean and comfortable as was the bed.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the continental breakfast exceeded our expectations.
We were on the top floor which was a bit of an issue as there is no lift and parking can be a problem but with advice from the staff we overcame the problem. The location be the river at Richmond is convenient for a number of the attractions. don't expect 5 star accommodation but we enjoyed our two there and would recommend it as a budget option.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a river view
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PhilDevonport
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I needed somewhere to stay for a night in Richmond, and didn't want to pay a fortune. I picked this hotel, and rapidly regretted it.

I'm not against the fact that this hotel has no parking. It says that up-front, so you can't expect that to change between booking and arriving.

I'm not even against the face that the room was small - I only need to sleep in it.

I am against it because it doesn't seem to care about presenting a good service to customers.

This starts out with not being able to get in until the bell has been answered some time after hanging around outside a while. Then you get to check in through a little glass hatch reminiscent of a prison guard station.

The room when I found it (no signs from the stairwell) was at best tired, and at worst dirty and dilapidated. The door was hanging off the bedside table, the TV had no aerial, the carpet looked like it could tell a few stories. In fact it looked like it was almost capable getting up and leaving all by itself. The bed was wobbly and the mattress was lumpy, bumpy, and you could feel the springs in your back.

It is in a great location, and isn't hugely expensive, but overall the experience is a poor one - One I will not repeat.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank SpringfieldKitchen
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We won a overnight stay at a London hotel and chose this hotel (which it isn't, it's a B&B at best suitable for visiting workmen) for its location and due to it showing as 'per friendly', which it wasn't!

After a 2hr drive and arriving at 1pm, we were informed we couldn't book-in until 2pm so we drove around for nearly 30 minutes looking for somewhere to park, which is neigh on impossible! Most roads are residents only and if your lucky to find a spot elsewhere, but nowhere near the hotel, its £11 or 4 hours! We were informed of the NCP car park at the railway station and that was £13 for 24hrs! So we parked the car and took our small well behaved Terrier along the Thames Path which we enjoyed, a good 1hr walk down towards Teddington Lock and back again, with that done we headed back to the 'hotel' to book-in.

You have to ring the bell to gain access on the busy road which once in takes you to an unmanned reception at the foot of some very steep stairs in a very narrow hallway where we were informed our room was on the 1st floor (105). The receptionist asked how we'd like to pay, we explained we had won the stay and had a booking reference, she said she had no knowledge of the payment being received and would need to make some phone calls immediately, this was very uncomfortable. On entering the room my head dropped, I know we won the overnight stay and chose this hotel (B&B) but we had spent out an unplanned amount on fuel (250 mile round trip) and parking and this room was extremely small and very tired looking, the furniture looked like it had been purchased from a local second-hand shop! We now also had to buy some food to bring back to our room as the "hotel" supplies no hot food at any time, not even breakfast, I find this strange, especially as it came up as a "pet friendly hotel" which is then obvious to anyone with pets that local restaurants and cafe's are of no use to us with a dog in tow!

We bought some Fish & Chips from next-door and decided to have a quick nap before our planned 2nd walk around the picturesque gardens down the road. Unfortunately, and has been mentioned previously, the neighbouring residents, or as I believe a possible staff bedroom was in constant use and doors were being allowed to slam shut which made our dog bark, which isn't surprising in such a small cramped unfamiliar room and noises coming from all around us!

I am very strong but it took all my strength to get the secondary double glazed window up so I could pull down and close the filthy and dirty sash window in an attempt to muffle the noise from the very busy road/s this 'B&B' is situated on, which helped slightly but with a corridor door immediately outside our room, creaking stairs and floorboards along with neighbours doors slamming, our dog barked, in fact we also jumped whilst attempting to have a quick afternoon nap when a neighbouring door slammed!

We then had a visit from the receptionist who said that we had declared our dog as 'well behaved' but they are getting complaints about his barks! I refute that anyone complained as we saw no other residents and there are no reasons for any residents to come in & out of their rooms consistently slamming doors as there are no other facilities within the B&B to go to, which enforces my opinion that it was a staff bedroom and possibly that of the receptionist!

She attempted to tell me that the corridor door had a slow closer fitted but I demonstrated that the neighbouring rooms didn't as I slammed our door shut showing her what was happening to the side of us making our dog bark, she would not except this (possibly because it was herself) so I said we were not staying where we are not welcome and that the hotel (B&B) was totally unsuitable and walked out and drove the 126 miles home!

What a very expensive day and experience, and what a terrible and poorly, incorrectly described establishment.

We were really pleased to have won this overnight stay as its unlikely we'll have a holiday this year and wanted to make the most of it but at its £89.00 Special Offer price, for those that pay, its massively over priced, I've stayed in cleaner, larger and more comfortable Travel Lodges for a 1/3rd of the price, it obviously preys on its location but the accommodation isn't worth it!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Robbie1959
Also consider these accommodations in or near Richmond
Richmond Hill Hotel
Travelodge London Richmond Central
Richmond Inn Hotel
Richmond Inn Hotel
#10 of 14 in Richmond

Been to Richmond Park Hotel? Share your experiences!