“Fantastic food!”

Ranked #70 of 225 Restaurants in Richmond
Price range: US$12 - US$18
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Southampton, UK
“Fantastic food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013 via mobile

I went here yesterday whilst visiting friends in London. The food was delicious! I had the soup of the day which was leek and potato and was the best soup I've ever had. My husband and friends shared 2 of the platters - the mini pie platter and sausage platter which looked gorgeous and from their reactions and the clean plates it was a huge hit! A great pub with a friendly atmosphere!

UK
“Go for drinks & chat but not the food!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2012

I went here today with a friend and our 2 toddlers for a nice relaxing lunch. There was a nice quiet atmosphere, even on such a rainy wet day, so we found a nice corner at the back where we could contain the 2 toddlers. The servers were really nice and friendly and very accomodating, however we should have just left it at a beer and catch up as the food was well below average.

We both had a steak and ale pie which were quite hard & overdone. The veg was also overdone although the gravy and mash were ok and for all this plus one beer and water we were £15 each!!!!

Also on the baby side there was only 1 highchair in the pub and the baby changing station in the toilets was quite unsafe and wobbly which we pointed out to the waitress.

I certainly would not rush back here for food with all the other options available in Richmond but for a nice drink and chat on a wet day it is quite cosy.

• Visited September 2012
Midsomer Norton, United Kingdom
“Road kill food?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2012

come on guys, it's a nice sunny afternoon and I want to cheer myself with a nice meal so I ordered grilled chicken. For £9.50 I get something flat and tasteless which is obviously related to chicken shape in one of its incarnations.
On attacking it, for that is what I had to do, it was stringy, dry and without character.
Okay there was a nice couscous dish and a baked tomato but this does not make up for the disappointment.
Plating food, and dare I say caring for it on its way to my stomach does not seem to be part of the cooking by numbers for-profit mentality.
When the waitress came round asking if everything was all right I felt a certain sense of futility answering at all.
To continue this cynical exercise in in exploitation I was asked to pay six pounds for a 175 mL glass of Pino Gringo.if I wanted to 250 ml glass it would have been £8.75 I just looked at the bartender and said 'this is a rip-off. I would not pay this in the city or the West End'. She said, 'it's very nice though'
I noted that at 1:30 PM on a Sunday there were very few people in the bar. I wonder why.

I left.

• Visited June 2012
London, United Kingdom
“A nice central pub which is never too busy and an ideal place for groups”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

I sometimes go to this pub with friends of mine to catch up over a Sunday roast. The food is pretty good and averagely priced for the area. Downstairs is where the sport is generally on and can get quite busy at times, but there's always loads of seating upstairs. The pub also has a good selection of beers on tap too.

• Visited September 2011
London, United Kingdom
“pinta”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2012

the old ship is a very old pub with back garden. friendly. there are tvs in the main bar and also the garden they do have a bar with no tvs its got a cosy buzz about the place i did not eat there but will do next time the beer is good and so is the wine

• Visited February 2012