“Such a shame”

Ranked #110 of 309 Restaurants in Richmond
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had visited Kew Gardens for the day and wanted a relaxed pub meal in Richmond for the evening. We found The Marlborough and thought it looked perfect. Big garden. BBQ. Relaxed families sitting in the big garden. We found a table and chairs in the garden, which could have done with a good clean but we sat down and I cleaned the table top with wet wipes. They wipes were black when I had finished!! God only knows when it had last been cleaned!! We ordered burger and chips, steak and chips and brisket beef and chips. The staff seemed to be in total trance and not on the ball at all. They walked around the garden with dinners looking for the people who had ordered them and didn't seem to have any system in operation. I saw what I thought was our food order going past us and saw it being walked around the garden and eventually coming to us which obviously means its getting cold!! We had to ask for cutlery and condiments and the staff just seemed to be on another planet. The food was pretty dire and tasteless but we just ate what we could and left. Such a shame. It really needs to sort itself out. It's got such potential.

Reviewed 27 June 2014

I've been living on Richmond Hill since 2006 and it confuses me why the Marlborough is still bad after all these years. It's got the great location, it's a lovely building and walking in it feels welcoming, but it just seems to keep getting it wrong. The food has always been poor, especially to other gastropubs in town, especially the Duke. The service is also just plain bad. Last time I was there I ordered a glass of wine & a burger. I said could I have the burger by itself, the server said "what, just a piece of meat?". I said no, I just didn't want the sides. She said "OK, but it'll still be £11". I told her to forget it and I'll just stick with the wine. Glad I did as dogs started fighting in the front and an air duct beneath my feet gave me a headache. In terms of service & food, compared to the Duke or the White Swan, the Marlborough just doesn't try. For a quick pint it's ok, but even the range is not that wide. Nil points

Reviewed 4 June 2014

I visited this pub in the evening quite late on with friends for a meal. Having never been to Richmond I was expecting good things. The Pub interior was an eclectic mix of traditional and refurbished furniture which goes with the period building. The Drinks were good but the food was not. I had the Duck Wings and Lamb Chops which were both tough. My friend had a meat platter which came with what can only be described as week old pork scratching's which were tougher than plastic. Not great.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I really hope Marlborough management is reading this review.

The Cons are: Appalling customer service, average to low quality food
The pros are: good location, large space for groups, good mixed crowd (+loads of families with babies), great beer garden

The pub has every potential to be great because of the location and the great interior and the huge garden but the management need to come up with a better quality food and more ambitious menu plus WORK ON YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!

I went to Marlborough last weekend for my birthday drinks. We're all professionals who wanted to chill out for an afternoon. There were two incidents on the night. After ordering 2 bottles of Champaign, beers, soft drinks and 12 food orders I went back to the bar to get a bottle of wine. The bar man took my order but then left me to go and taste wine!! I was standing there waiting whilst 4 of the people behind the bar were tasting wine!!

The second incident happened after I asked another waiter for change of the candle on our table. He looked like he was going to hit me in the face!

I have to be fair to the one and only person in that pub (young guy) who was very nice and friendly.

It was my birthday and the attitude of the stuff and the appalling service really made me upset. Thankfully I was with my amazing friends who quickly made me forget about it all.

1  Thank p s
Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Starter of salmon fish cakes and orange salad was delicious followed by decent plate of bangers and mash. A warm welcome, unpretentious yet sophisticated staff. Huge back garden. Doesn't disappoint. Will definitely come back.