“Disappointing Afternoon Tea” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Richmond
Richmond, United Kingdom
“Disappointing Afternoon Tea”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I had my mother visiting London from overseas for her birthday in August. She had never been for an afternoon and really wanted to experience the relaxed, pampered spoiling and opulent indulgence that goes with English afternoon teas. I deliberated for weeks, trying to find the perfect place to take her, and eventually settled on the Bingham Hotel. I wish I hadn’t. It was an afternoon of stifled awkwardness with me coming away feeling ripped off and disappointed.

When I made the booking telephonically I asked a lot questions to ensure I got exactly what I wanted. I put the phone down with a confirmation that my booking for 3 would be accommodated outside at a table on the terrace – if the weather was good enough – with spectacular, relaxed river views. We arrived on a beautiful sunny afternoon, Sunday 25 August, and were shown to a two-seater couch and additional stool around the side of the bar in the tea room, being told that under no circumstances, at any time, could three people be accommodated on the terrace as it was too narrow. An awkward conversation followed with me appealing to the waitron to at least move us to a table as my mother finds low couches uncomfortable to sit at (this was emphasised when I made the booking). Eventually we were moved to a table that was too small, being told that it was not possible to move two tables together. They did however move an additional small mirror topped table next to our table (full of dust and cracked) to accommodate extra teapots next. I hoped things would get better once the tea arrived.

A three-tiered platter of sandwiches, cakes and scones arrived. The sandwiches were horrifying. A thin piece of ham licked with mustard clung between two miserable, dry and slightly curled pieces of cheap, shop bought looking bread is not my idea of a fancy sandwich. Similarly, the smoked salmon, cucumber and ungenerous egg mayonnaise fillings were as disappointing and tasteless. The cakes were better. The perfectly respectable dark chocolate tart and fig doughnut were lovely – but the festive fruit cake was decidedly out of place and not something that should ever be put in an afternoon tea. The scones were average – and tasted as if the chef had forgotten to add sugar to the dough that also should have been lighter and more crumbly. The clotted cream and jam portions were measly.

The tea was lovely. The only thing I can criticise about the tea is that my partner didn’t get the tea he ordered. What he got though, he enjoyed – but this is not service one expects from such an establishment.

Additionally, halfway through our tea another party of three arrived wanting to sit on the terrace – and they were accommodated.

In summary, at £25 a head, I feel totally ripped off. I also think it was exceedingly cheeky and presumptuous of the hotel to automatically add a service charge to the bill when we very obviously did not receive the service we were promised. More than that I feel robbed of being able to share an experience that should have been amazing and memorable with my mother who lives thousands of miles away and who I do not see very often.

To top the whole experience off, as we left the hotel we saw that the narrow terrace opened up onto a wider terrace with lots of big empty tables on it. Why we could not have been seated there, is beyond me.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank GHeckl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Dorset
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

We celebrated our daughter's wedding at the Bingham recently and have to say how impressed we all were with the care and attention given to the event on the day by the Bingham staff and in particular the 'wedding team'. The whole day ran seamlessly, the setting and ambience was a delight, the food and it's presentation quite superb, nothing was too much trouble . Every guest we spoke to commented upon the quality of service from the Reception desk to the bar but particularly from the friendly relaxed 'wedding team' managed by Reesh.
Our personal thanks to all at the Bingham for making it a very special day, you deserve your excellent reputation

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2013

We spent the first night of our honeymoon, many years ago, at the Bingham. We decided to have lunch there on our anniversary in spite of the quite mixed reviews.

Our experience was really positive. In my booking I had asked for a table on the balcony, but because it was pouring we ate indoors, but we had been given a beautiful table in the window. We ate from the Market menu at £22.50 for two courses or £25.00 for three. The food was absolutely delicious. We began with an amuse bouche of pea mousse and foie grass, a WONDERFUL starter and delicious main course. Lots of choice of wine by the glass but of course that does push up the price. Overall, really lovely.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013

I really enjoyed my third visit to The Bingham restaurant. We were given a great table with fabulous views over the Thames. Most of my companions chose from the Market Menu (great value at £25 for three course plus an amuse-bouche) whilst I had Brill and Razor Clam delight from the main menu that was well --- absolutely brill. All washed down from an excellent (if not cheap) range of wines. We were joined on the balcony for coffee by Executive Chef Shay Cooper who explained the art of fine dining cookery. What a nice, unassuming, creative guy he is. A great ending to a great lunch. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Surrey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

Booked for lunch which we had on the veranda overlooking the garden and with a view of the river.
Excellent menu and food delicious would highly recommend to anybody. The staff are efficient and pleasant.
Fairly expensive but great for a treat.
The bar and restaurant looked inviting, will experience them on our return.

Room Tip: Only had lunch but I would imagine the rooms are good.