“Great service”

Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Lake Hawea
Price range: US$8 - US$25
Cuisines: Bar, New Zealand, Pizza, Seafood, Grill, Pub
Good for: Groups, View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Sailz Lake Hawea Restaurant & Bar is upstairs above the General Store & Cafe, with seating indoors for 45, and a shaded deck seating a further 40, with a view of the mountains, and lake glimpses. Serving a seasonal range of popular NZ cuisine, with international chefs' flair, Sailz believe in consistency, with regular repeat guests.
Wanaka, New Zealand
“Great service”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I had lunch at Sailz restaurant with my daughter and two granddaughters. The children were given toys and a little bag with crayons, stickers and pictures which kept them very happy and occupied which meant that my daughter and I could enjoy a very pleasant lunch. The one member of staff who served us couldn't have been more helpful and obliging. The children enjoyed their lunch and so we. I had a very generous seafood chowder, my daughter had a lovely caesar salad and the children enjoyed a selection from the child menu.. A great place for family dining..

• Visited March 2014
2 Thank Trish P

Kent UK
“Friendly service”
Reviewed 12 February 2014

With great views of the mountains at beautiful Lake Hawea, Sailz restaurant is one of only two in the town. Eating outside was the attraction that made us choose Sailz. Pleasant bistro style eating area on a deck is at first sight a terrific option.... but after almost two hours of the setting sun setting, very slowly in my eyes, I was pretty hot and would have valued a sail covering my eyes. I assume the sun always sets in the same direction, Central Otago has many hot and sunny days and warm evenings, a little more shade option would have been very welcome. The wine and beer list was good, although the pre meal drinks drinks did take a long time to arrive. Apart from a slightly over cooked fillet steak, the meal was enjoyable, not hurried, with friendly service. I would return, but make sure I was the one with my back to the setting sun next time. Lunch time would be a good time to visit.

• Visited February 2014
2 Thank swiftfrank
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Lunch and dinner”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

4 of us sat downstairs for lunch and had fish chowder which was lovely and BLTs which were yummy! The place was buzzing with people so great atmosphere. Also we had dinner upstairs a few days before and had a great meal particularly the chicken Thai curry. Again atmosphere was good and staff all very efficient and friendly. Great place to go,even just for a beer and the view which is stunning.

• Visited January 2014
auckland
“What a find.”
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We were staying in wanaka and saw that sailz was only 10mins drive away. So we decided to pop up and see another lake- glad we did go. Generous portions with so many different veg served with the dish making it excellent value. Friendly service. Chose to dine indoors but many dined on the deck which had views over the lake. Would definitely go again.

1 Thank jsdkoc
Warrnambool
“A hidden treasure!”
Reviewed 24 August 2013

We found this restaurant in the most unlikely way. It is well off the beaten track - in a small town about 20 mins drive from Wanaka in New Zealand. A friend of our host told us about it. It is set above a general store in a tiny town with one of the most picturesque views imaginable - overlooking Lake Hawea and the snow capped mountains. It is only tiny and just a bit quirky as so many New Zealand things can be. Our host was amazingly friendly, genial and helpful. The menu, although small is well balanced and features a number of gluten free options - yay! The orders are relayed via a small hutch to the downstairs kitchen, where the food is freshly prepared and cooked, then passed back up through the hutch - cute! Fantastic local wines and beers are available to complement the meal. When the food arrived it was divine! The mussels were the best I have ever tasted - to die for! Apparently the blue cod was in the same category and also the seafood chowder. The meal was so good, we had to return another day to repeat the experience. We were greeted like old buddies and spent time happily chatting with our host. I would totally recommend this restaurant to anyone who is staying around that area.

• Visited August 2013