“An excellent small country pub restaurant.”
Review of Lake Hawea Hotel

Lake Hawea Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Lake Hawea
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 20 January 2014

This restaurant is really an excellent find and is very friendly for kids too (they have paper tablecloths with a glass of crayons to use!).

This would be one of the better "country pub" restaurants I've been to in NZ as many of them unfortuantely are pretty mediocre but not this one... This is about halfway between pub and fine dining. Excellent food, great service and very friendly staff (though the three staff that we did interact with were all foreigners here on short stay working visas which isn't a bad thing of course).

Well worth a visit if you are in the Wanaka/Lake Hawea area.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

After driving from Franz Josef on our way to Queenstown we stopped here for a bit of lunch. It was just what we needed as a break on the long drive. Great views over the lake

Reviewed 25 December 2013

The restaurant attached to the Lake Hawea hotel is much touted and is well worth it. We were there for dinner. The place overlooks the lake and they do have outdoor seating for the summer months as well. The staff are very friendly and helpful though a tad slow. It does take a while to get their attention as they are being as attentive to others as they are to you. The menu is good and the selection of local wine is varied. Please ask for suggestions. The food is very good and the presentation is excellent. Surely worth a visit when you are around that area.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

Since the weather wasn't good for skiing, we decided to take the short, 20 min drive from Wanaka to the picturesque Lake Hawea, and take a chance with the pub food for lunch. It was 4 years since our last visit, and we were immediately impressed with the upgrades to the restaurant. Very uomarket club feel with leather lounges around the fireplace and smart decor. Then we looked at the menu and realised that it too had had a massive upgrade. So hard to choose. I had definitely the best mussel dish ever -NZ green lipped mussels in a creamy garlic and sauvignon blanc sauce. As fine a broth as you would find in any fine dining restaurant. My companions both had the chicken breast and brie burger, which they claim was also first rate. I could easily have returned to try several other tempatations on the menu, including some of the desserts, which we couldn't possibly eat after such a generous meal that day. Highly recommended for the food, the atmosphere, and the views across Lake Hawea.

Reviewed 3 August 2013

We have the entertainment book and it rates this restaurant as fine dining. I went with my girlfriend there for my birthday and we were disappointed with the whole experience. The waitress was friendly in a more casual manner rather than polite. We were taken to our seats It felt more like an old bingo hall and there were people playing cards in the table next to us. I couldn't order the meal I wanted because they had run out so end up with fish and chips. The price was too high for the standard.

CarolynHay, Front Office Manager at Lake Hawea Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

We are very sorry that you found your experience below par.
We do have a poker night here at the Hotel on a Wednesday night but we are going to be moving this through into the public bar side of the Hotel away from the restaurant.
If you would like to ring and contact me (03 4431224 - Carolyn) I would like to arrange for you to come back and sample the restaurant again.