“The George Hotel Lodge”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moniaive
The George Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Moniaive B&B and Inns
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We stayed in the Lodge at the back of the Hotel. It was clean, well stocked with everything you would need. Gas central heating was a real bonus as there was still snow outside. This is one of the best log cabins we have stayed in. We found the owner and bar staff at the Hotel to be very friendly and helpful, All in all a great few days away. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Morag562

Reviewed 3 September 2012

This hotel is terrible! Looks lovely from the outside, near the river in lovely village. Inside it is dirty, the furnishings are cheap (think the curtains are in fact t-towels, they look very much like it) and the sound from the bar downstairs is unbearable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ballylong
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Visited for our anniversary having seen the lovely description on the Monaive website. Can't begin to list how many things were wrong.
- smelt damp and dirty
- room full of cheap furniture
- carpet dirty
- bathroom disgusting
- milk out of date on the coffee tray (by about 4 months)

however all this pales into insignificance when I think about what happened when we got in at night.
Got in after a lovely meal at the 3 glens at about 10.30 and there was a very noisy 'party' going on in the bar downstairs. It was so noisy in our room that the floor in the bathroom was actually vibrating and the furniture was shaking. We thought come 11.30 this would all cease and simply thought it was one of those things with staying in a pub. This music continued until about 2.30, walking down the corridor I saw someone passed out in a room with the door open. At 2.30 after a rousing chorus of 'you take the high road' the music ceased suddenly and I cannot describe the feeling of relief. However, at 3.05 it started again even louder. At 3.25 my husband finally lost his temper and stormed into a bar filled with drunken revellers and yelled at them to turn the music down. The barman looked horrified and said he was unaware someone was even staying in the hotel (good job their wasn't a fire or we would be dead!) and the music abruptly stopped.
You could ask why we didn't go in the pub earlier, but would you go into a packed pub and ask them to stop their party?
We would have left had we not had a drink and therefore were unable to drive, we almost considered sleeping in the car. We were so tired on the drive back home that we had to stop at the services for a sleep.
The following morning the man who was going to cook breakfast (we left without it obviously) looked massively hung over. We refused to pay (I have never done that anywhere before). We left as soon as it was safe to drive (7.15 in the morning).
Do not stay here!!!

Room Tip: go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dawnb123
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Me and my partner's booking to a lovely guest house happened to be moved to The George Hotel in Moniaive (long story!)

I can only say that the room we 'stayed' in was right above the games room from the hotel's pub, the acoustic insulation is less to none existant in the whole building, it seemed that the party was being held in our en-suite (which door would not close properly, same with front door) we tried to be patient and also approached the owner,after being as patient as possible at 1am in the morning we decided to leave as it was impossible to get a rest after a day of great outdoor activities in Drumlanrig Castle.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank e c
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Forget the last review, a few of us went down there last Sunday evening for a quiet pint. I can't comment on any of the accomodation but whatever it is, it has to be worth it in the overall scheme of things. Bedrooms are for sleeping in not studying. The landlord and locals were very friendly and welcoming, the booze was well priced and the pub was well kitted out with a pool table and juke box. We had an absolutely cracking night there and I'd go back time after time if I didn't live 300 miles away.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank AGS186338
Reviewed 13 February 2011

Note . Map location is incorrect, post code of George Hotel in Moniaive is DG3 4HN.

I booked this hotel for a wee weekend away with my wife. I had never been in before but in looked quaint from the outside when passing.

We arrived at 2.30 pm and were told they did not open till 3pm but we were grudgingly shown to the room. Bed had clean sheets and there were clean towels but that was it. The carpet had not been hoovered the decoration was not at all fresh and the curtains appeared to have originally been tea towels. I thought it is just a room to sleep in but then I went into the small en suite. The hand basin had not been cleaned and there were obvious dirty marks on it. I wiped them off with some toilet paper but then I looked in the shower which not only had large drips of paint on it from a previous decoration but there appeared to a variety of different persons hair stuck to it's various surfaces.We repacked our clothing from the Wardrobe , which had no hangers in it and left. Before leaving I met the owner and I told him why we were leaving. He asked which room we had been given and when I told him "A " he made no further comment. From his reaction I am guessing it was the best room!
We not only left the hotel we left the village and fond a lovely B+B The Old Shop, Carsethorn on the Solway coast.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MuppetBMW

Been to The George Hotel? Share your experiences!