“Great Potential but cleanliness turned my stomach!”
Review of The George Hotel

The George Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Moniaive
The George Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Moniaive B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

I was in a fully booked Moniaive so the option of switching room or even hotel was not available! The staff and locals were very friendly and welcoming but the standards of the room was a terrible let down. I have stayed in some questionable rooms in my time but the cleanliness was embarrassing. I photographed the most disgusting, filthiest kettle I've ever come across that even had mold floating around inside! The collection of cobwebs and general dust was the most I've ever seen in any room. I could excuse the cheap furnishings but the attention to cleanliness could not be overlooked when the use of the kettle could have a serious impact on your health.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Paul C

Reviewed 22 August 2013

We were worried after seeing some of the reviews on tripadvisor but found out that the george was under new management. Very glad we gave it a chance. We would definitely visit again and would recommend it to freinds and family

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Judy D
Reviewed 6 May 2013

The Green Tea Room is an adjunct at the George Hotel in the Main Street of Moniaive.I you venture off the main A76 trunk road south after Cumnock heading towards Dumfries and sample some of the minor roads in Dumfries and Galloway you may venture through Penpont and Into Moniaive.We did on our way for a walk in New Galloway Forest Park at Loch Trool.
Stopping in the village to use the excellent toilet facilities we spotted the entrance to The Green Tea Room, whicheemed to be a very small establishment. On entering we were delighted to see a seating area with large couches and a real fire as well as a many bench tables and an outside seating area as well. Honestly it was the café equivalent of the Tardis!
Instant attention and a table was offered, The folks enjoying the couches looked so comfy they were probably there for the duration! The ambience was excellent and there was a wide range of prints and frames for sale on the walls, which proved to be very interesting.
A waitress appeared in just a few minutes and took our order, at this time in the morning it had to be crispy bacon rolls and strong black tea. There was a wide range of hot and cold snacks on offer and several different varieties of home made soups if you fancied lunch. While waiting on the rolls the couple next had their soup served, in giant bowls, the lentil soup was accompanied by crusty bread and looked delicious.
The Bacon rolls arrived , in soft baguette type baps with wheat on top, the bacon was crispy and flavoursome and really hit the spot! When the cakes were served to an adjacent table I actually drooled. A wide range of cakes and buns available, served as giant portions but I opted for a banana scone from the wide range of types available.
As village cafes go this must be in the top ten, smiles all round from the staff and proprietor, excellent professional service allied to a wonderful setting and a really friendly atmosphere.
If you are ever near , take a diversion and give it atry, I guarantee you will not be disappointed!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2013

We stayed in the Lodge at the back of the Hotel. It was clean, well stocked with everything you would need. Gas central heating was a real bonus as there was still snow outside. This is one of the best log cabins we have stayed in. We found the owner and bar staff at the Hotel to be very friendly and helpful, All in all a great few days away. Thank you.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Morag562
Reviewed 3 September 2012

This hotel is terrible! Looks lovely from the outside, near the river in lovely village. Inside it is dirty, the furnishings are cheap (think the curtains are in fact t-towels, they look very much like it) and the sound from the bar downstairs is unbearable.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ballylong
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Visited for our anniversary having seen the lovely description on the Monaive website. Can't begin to list how many things were wrong.
- smelt damp and dirty
- room full of cheap furniture
- carpet dirty
- bathroom disgusting
- milk out of date on the coffee tray (by about 4 months)

however all this pales into insignificance when I think about what happened when we got in at night.
Got in after a lovely meal at the 3 glens at about 10.30 and there was a very noisy 'party' going on in the bar downstairs. It was so noisy in our room that the floor in the bathroom was actually vibrating and the furniture was shaking. We thought come 11.30 this would all cease and simply thought it was one of those things with staying in a pub. This music continued until about 2.30, walking down the corridor I saw someone passed out in a room with the door open. At 2.30 after a rousing chorus of 'you take the high road' the music ceased suddenly and I cannot describe the feeling of relief. However, at 3.05 it started again even louder. At 3.25 my husband finally lost his temper and stormed into a bar filled with drunken revellers and yelled at them to turn the music down. The barman looked horrified and said he was unaware someone was even staying in the hotel (good job their wasn't a fire or we would be dead!) and the music abruptly stopped.
You could ask why we didn't go in the pub earlier, but would you go into a packed pub and ask them to stop their party?
We would have left had we not had a drink and therefore were unable to drive, we almost considered sleeping in the car. We were so tired on the drive back home that we had to stop at the services for a sleep.
The following morning the man who was going to cook breakfast (we left without it obviously) looked massively hung over. We refused to pay (I have never done that anywhere before). We left as soon as it was safe to drive (7.15 in the morning).
Do not stay here!!!

Room Tip: go to a different hotel