“Appalling!”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Il Principe - CLOSED

Il Principe
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Italian, Australian
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Colchester United Kingdom
“Appalling!”
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I totally agree with PLM_27... Last night I was laughing about the appalling food put in front of us all but today am angry at the prices charged ... FOR WHAT??!!

Two of us ordered the pizza... expecting a large round, sizzling pizza full of flavour . Instead they were served 4 pieces of pizza ( microwaved?) on a white plate for £11.50!! Outrageous and very down-market cafe-style.
My linguine was totally tasteless so I couldn't eat it and my other friend had the penne but half the "promised" ingredients on the menu were missing.(sweet corn and spinach) Total bill £62.00 and that was after we had complained and my linguine ( £14) had been removed from the bill and we were served 4 desserts for free because of our obvious dissatisfaction.
The Red Dog will have to get a a chef who knows how to cook and get their act together if they wish to attract a more discerning diner. We certainly WON'T be going back.

• Visited October 2013

“Tapas is GREAT... especially the beef skewers!”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I took my fiance to The Red Dog Cafe last night (was Il Principe) to try their tapas and was pleasantly surprised by both the size of the portions and the quality of the food. It was simply delicious! The bottle of red we had with it was also excellent, chianti 1489 I believe. This was recommended for consumption with tapas.
We found the staff to be friendly and courteous. Although tapas is generally available in the new wine bar area, we were given the choice of sitting in the restaurant if we wished.
If you're ordering tapas, get the beef skewers and garlic mushrooms, they are sensational!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank peter4793
London, United Kingdom
“Overpriced!”
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We used to come to this place a lot when it was the Prince of Wales pub, and since then it has changed hands numerous times and never really recaptured it's homely feel. Now that it' become the Red Dog Cafe we thought we'd give it a try for my Dad's birthday. We chose to have the tapas rather than food from the restaurant menu and were therefore initially sat in the 'wine bar'. In all honesty it felt more like a cafe/canteen with cheap tables and a somewhat lacking atmosphere. We therefore asked to move to the main restaurant, hoping for a better ambiance.

The staff and owner were nice, but service was a bit sloppy. The main problem was the tapas we ordered, the quality was poor, and it felt as though the food had simply been microwaved and served up within 5 minutes. The portions were tiny for the amount that we paid and considering there were only four of us we were surprised to be served dishes with only three pieces of tapas, especially as it was the most expensive thing on the menu! The bill for 4 of us came to £50 and we left to have a proper meal elsewhere as we were not satisfied with what we received. The crazy thing was that the restaurant that we went to after charged less for a 2 course meal and a bottle of wine!

It's safe to say we've learnt our lesson and won't be going back there again!

• Visited September 2013
Witham, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Red Dog Cafe / Il principe”
Reviewed 18 September 2013

We go out a lot for dinner around essex to help the restaurants. We come to this restaurant one evening to eat good food from the italian chef who done fantastic cuisine. Later that year we went again for a meal with my father & his brother; recommending this place at the time. We were then to find out that the Italian chef is no longer there ! Since then, there has been no Itailian influence what so ever & the food has been going down hill. Still advertising Italian food, the chef there is significantly NOT Italian & has no idea how to prepare let alone cook Italian food.(we caught a glimps of the chef and he seems to be somewhat someone of the Eastern region) They are advertising Italian food with no experience on how to cook.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank berknoid
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Perfect Birthday!”
Reviewed 11 September 2013

My mother booked this restaurant for my birthday as we had a table of 9 with a range dietary requirements including vegans, vegetarians, pescetarians and very fussy eaters.

There really was something for everyone and nothing was too much trouble, they even opened 45mins earlier for us as my gran was travelling some distance to be there!

The manager of the adjoining cafe (Red Dog) treated me to a complimentary glass of birthday bubbly (thank you very much) and provided us with olives and some gorgeous warm bread while we waited for the rest of my family to arrive.

Once we were seated the restaurant staff paid special attention to all of our dietary requirements and there were no mistakes (rare in my experience).

My father and I are vegan and played it safe by asking that the kitchen made penne arrabiata. We were so suprised at the depth of flavour in a normally lazy dish.

My uncle had skate, my goodness, it was huge!! My aunt's bowl of mussels was extremely generous too.

All in all this was a fantastic evening with friendly and accommodating staff that made us feel so welcome and not at all like the fussy and demanding bunch we are.

Thank you so much! :o) x

• Visited September 2013