“Nice hotel, but "be warned" about the hot tub”

Best Western Plus Wine Country Hotel & Suites
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in West Kelowna
Reviewed 26 May 2010

When we first arrived at the hotel, I was very impressed. Rooms were new, modern and beautiful.
Pool was a little small considering it had a pretty fast waterslide, but still good. Water was a nice temperature and breakfast was good.

My problem was with the hot tub. The first day we went in, my eyes stung from the chemicals. Others also complained. It was like a very strong bleach smell as well. The next day we went in the smell wasn't as bad. However, the hot tub bleached my bathing suit from the chest down. Also, my brother'n'law's bathingsuit had bleached from the day before (which I didn't realize until I showed him mine). My mother'n'law silver bracelet changed from silver to a pewter finish (hopefully silver polish will fix it). I went to the front desk to let them know about the bathingsuit and that I had health concerns about all the chorine. They offered me $20.00 off our stay but my bathingsuit cost $40.00 and my main point was that there was a problem with their system. However, I do not believe my point was taken. But to bleach our bathingsuits, cause eye discomfort, and we ended up scratching for several days. We also had as well had a very strong bleach odor to our skin skin that took about 3 days to finally go away. THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH YOUR HOT TUB SYSTEM. I suggest testing it yourselves. Please wear your nicest bathing suit so you can understand that $20.00 and no apology doesn't quite fix the problem.

Otherwise it was a nice hotel, but I could not stay until I knew the hot tub was fixed (I wouldn't mind an apology about the bleached bathingsuits as well).

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank c0lc0n
cphelmer, General Manager at Best Western Plus Wine Country Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2010

On behalf of all of our staff I wanted to apologise for the problems you experienced with our hot tub. Your experience led us to discover that their was a problem with the controler for our hot tub that we have since been able to remedy. I assure you that our hot tub and pool are inspected and manually tested twice daily by our maintenance department. I would encourage you to give us another oppurtunity to show you the true value our service.

Cory Helmer

Reviewed 25 May 2010

Very good value option for the wine country if you have kids...on the outskirts of town, but a 5 minute drive up the hill to Mission Hills and Qauils Gate - and you are already on the way down to wine country . The staff were ALL very nice, free breakfast is basic, but clean and well organized, housekeeping was spot on. Golf course right out the back and an Irish Pub right out the front. Cafe Artistano, best coffee in BC across the street, five minute walk for a cuppa. We have no complaints, which for our mob of 5 families was a major achievement as most 5 stars haven't acomplished as much! LOL!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank SLVGM
Reviewed 11 May 2010

We had a very spacious clean king suite that was nicely decorated and very modern. Once we had checked in we decided to check out the pool and waterslide. I was disappointed to say the least when we got to the pool and there were candy wrappers all over the floor and gum stuck to the water fountain. The waterslide had a foul odour coming from the staircase which did not look to have been cleaned in months...GROSS!!
We stayed on a Sat night so some noise is expected from other guests, but at 10:00pm I do not want to listen to teenagers running through the hallways screaming. The front desk could see them on camera but did nothing until several complaints were lodged.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 January 2010

We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived at this hotel. It is quite new, modern and very clean. Our room, with 2 queen size beds, was a good size and came with a small fridge and microwave which is good when you have children. The beds and pillows were comfortable. The breakfast room was clean and modern. It had a nice selection of breakfast items and drinks. The hotel is located in a more commercial area but we found the room to be quiet. There are lots of restaurants, fast food places, grocery stores nearby and a Tim Hortons basically outside the door. It is important to know that it is a few kms (drive) away from Kelown's city centre. The front desk clerks were polite and helpful. We travel a great deal with our children. We have stayed in many hotels before. This is definitely the nicest Best Western we have stayed at.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 September 2009

We needed a comfortable hotel in Westbank so we could make an early start towards Vancouver. This was a great choice as our guestrooms were really wonderful, both in terms of decor & amenities and the view over the golf course. The staff were friendly and the breakfast room was a nice place to linger over a good cup of coffee. Parking & access were a breeze. This is a fairly new hotel and didn't appear too busy when we stayed there. It has an indoor pool which might be popular with young families. There are lots of restaurants in the area as well as a good collection of big box stores if you like that sort of thing.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 September 2009

One major complaint! Upon check-in the desk clerk advised AFTER proceeding that my credit card would be charged $300 in advance to enforce their non-smoking policy, and an additional $100 to enforce their room-damage policy! Are you kidding me! Advise me of your policies before proceeding!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Enlightenup1
BWwinecountry, Manager at Best Western Plus Wine Country Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

Thank you Enlightenup1 for voicing your concerns about your credit card pre-authorizations. This may seem like a late reply, but we feel it is important to update, as there have been some changes since 2009.
In early 2012, the hotel underwent a change in management, and several changes were implemented, at least one of which was influenced by this review. While we still pre-authorize a guests credit card upon check-in to cover the amount of their final bill, we now only pre-authorize approximately $100 in excess of that amount to ensure adequate funds to cover any incidental charges. This is now clearly explained during the check-in process, prior to processing the card. This ensures that guests are aware of what is affecting their cards' credit limits, reduces the amount that is held on the credit card, and still adequately protects the hotel in the instances of additional charges being levied.
With pre-paid reservations, we typically only take a $100 pre-authorization to cover any incidental charges. Again, this is explained at check-in prior to processing.
In addition, all credit cards are verified with a piece of government-issued photo ID - this is a strong anti-fraud measure, and is a practice highly recommended by Canadian law enforcement which significantly cuts down on instances of fraud and identity theft.
Again, thank you for expressing your concerns, and know that they were helpful in adopting new policies and procedures, and have allowed us to further improve our overall operations and guest services.

Reviewed 1 September 2009

Brand new hotel with a indoor water slide, wish I had brought a bathing suit myself! Nicely appointed with modern features. Overlooked the golf course and a winery in the distance. A nice grouping of eateries within walking distance. We negotiated a lower cost when our card was accidently charged for another's room. They took responsibility and acted well. Within 10 miles of several wineries.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Super 8 West Kelowna BC
#5 of 5 in West Kelowna
Comfort Suites Kelowna
#5 of 34 in Kelowna

Been to Best Western Plus Wine Country Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!