“Comfortable & clean”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in West Kelowna
Vancouver, Canada
“Comfortable & clean”
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed for one night and had a comfortable stay. The service was excellent from check-in to check-out. Our ground floor room was clean and very quiet (which was very nice!). The location is a bit out of the way but there are still restaurants and shopping close by. We'd stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the back parking lot are very quiet; no road noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Corrina S, Manager at Holiday Inn West Kelowna, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Thank you MrsRW01 for your review. Thank you for your wonderful comments about the service you recieved from our team! There are many great things to do and see in our immediate area and the Front Desk agents are always happy to share their favorites with you. We look forward to our next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 7 August 2014

It got a bit tedious going into town from here, being about 15-20 minutes west of the city. It took longer during the rush hours. Hotels are expensive in this area and the room was ok for the price. The room had a very comfortable king size bed and a jetted tub, but at this price I would have expected a mini fridge in the room. The smallish pool is partly indoors and partly out. The outdoor part has no shade and not many lounging chairs. There are lots of places to eat nearby but the best shopping is downtown. Quite a few wineries are a short drive away.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FredWkohler
Thank you FredWkolher for your review! We appreciate your warm comments about your stay. We are looking into upgrading some of our rooms to contain mini-fridges for your convenience. Thank you again and we look forward to having you stay with us on your next visit to the area.
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 6 August 2014

This hotel was well located in West Kelowna and the rooms were very clean. This hotel is older and could use some renovations. The bathroom was quite old. Would be helpful to have mini fridges in room as well.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn West Kelowna, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear KarenP184,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. We are pleased you liked the location of our hotel and the cleanliness of our rooms. We're sorry for the shortfalls you have noticed during your stay. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Your review will be used to consider improvements needed and we hope that you can give us a chance to show what we have done.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Regina, Canada
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights while doing some driving and wine tours around the Okanagan Valley. I was expecting more from this hotel. The room we had was large and comfortable but it wasn't as clean as most hotel rooms I've stayed in. The bathtub was stained and there was staining in the grout lines in the tile. There was what looked to be shaving cream on the door frame in the bathroom as well. I don't usually ask a lot for day to day cleaning when I stay multiple nights, as I usually make the bed up a bit, usually the housecleaning staff will remake it and tidy up, here however, it didn't really look like they did anything the entire time we were there, other than take the empty tissue box that was never replaced.

We used the indoor/outdoor pool a couple of times which was nice but it looks like the pool deck could really use a good cleaning.

There are a lot of hotel options in West Kelowna, I would check them all before booking here as a last resort.

If they cleaned this place up, I'm sure it would be a great place to stay. We stayed here because it is right on the highway and we were going to be mainly on the west side of the lake and didn't want to drive though Kelowna and across the bridge everyday.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
TiffanyDGEC, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn West Kelowna, responded to this review, 9 August 2014
Thank you Jeremy B for your review. Your feedback is important to us to help us ensure that our guests are getting the best stay possible at our hotel. I do apologize that your stay did not meet your standards. I have discussed with Maintenance and Housekeeping departments the expectations of the condition of the guest bathrooms, and pool and hot tub areas need to be in, as we share your concerns and recognize the importance of exceeding guests expectations during their stay at our hotel.

I do apologize for the overall condition of the hotel, we are in the process of renovating the hotel at the same time. Recently we have completed updating the lighting, vinyl and painting of the hallways, and will be moving on to guest rooms and the lobby once summer is over.

I do hope that you will give us another try. Please contact me directly if your are in the area again so that I can ensure that your next stay is the best as it can be.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2014

This was my first stay in Kelowna, so I booked this hotel not really realizing how far it was from the airport (about 30-40 minutes). I agree with previous reviewers that the place could use an overhaul and some good scrubbing, but that was the least of my problems during my trip.

I had booked a 7 night stay at this hotel, but it only took the first day to make me feel unsettled.
After checking in, I stepped out to grab a bite to eat at the Boston Pizza (Located right beside the hotel). Upon returning, I noticed a young man hovering around my hotel door, when I approached the door, I realized that there was a second man just exiting MY HOTEL ROOM. I asked what was going on, and they seemed just as confused. They had told me that one of them had stayed in my hotel room the previous night, and when he tried to get into the room that night, his door key did not work. So he went up to the front desk and asked for and updated hotel room key. Without checking to see if they had checked in another (me!) to that room, the man at the desk (let's call him "D") swiped the keycard giving him access to it.

All of my things (laptop, ipad, passports, etc) were sitting in my luggage in the room. I was very lucky that a) I happened to be coming back as they were settling in to catch this, and b) they were good people that didn't take anything. The second gentleman in the group had a keycard to a room across mine (in which two other senior ladies were staying). Once we realized the confusion, the three of us (the two men, and myself) went to the front desk to figure out what was going on. The gentleman at the front desk, "D",sorted things out for the men (gave them new rooms), but was very indignant with me when I asked if I could change rooms (because I did not feel secure in mine). He made no apology until he saw that I was very upset, and even then his apology did not feel truly genuine. I feel like he just wanted me and the issue at hand to "go away".

I am guessing "D" felt embarrassed because he was the one who had checked me in a few hours before, and yet he gave access to the same room to two other men without checking the system. I went back to my room that night feeling insecure, and wondering who else could really get access to my room (or ANY room) if they just went to the desk and said their keycard didn't work.

The next evening when I returned to the hotel, there were two men working the front desk,"D" and another. I needed to ask a quick question, and "D" completely avoided me. He stood there not making eye contact, and quickly answered the phone when it rang instead of asking if he could help me. I had to wait until the other gentleman was done helping someone before I could ask my question.

In addition to this security issue, the next morning when I went to get a shower a HUGE BLACK SPIDER (.. and I really mean HUGE) came running out of my towel and ran across the bathroom floor. Gross! I am not a fan of spiders. I figured this was an isolated incident until I talked with some other hotel guests and they had complained about the same.

I confess that into day two, I was feeling very angry and neglected in customer care. I also realized that "D" only worked nights, so I was going to address my issue with the staff in the morning. The third morning, I went up to the front desk staff and said I had experienced two very upsetting incidents (security and spider) and that I would like to change my hotel room. I was expecting a fight on their end (like D had given me), but found none! They were very pleasant, kind and helpful. They set me up with a new room right away, and it was on an upper floor (hopefully no spiders?). Since that morning, I felt my built up resentment start to fade, as they had made the situation right (which would have been nice on the first night). Overall, the rest of the week played out like any other hotel stay I've had. Pleasant, and without issues.

I should also note that there were still spiders upstairs too. Every morning, without fail. I started putting one of the hotel cups over the shower drain, and found it to be a solution, as the spiders were caught in the cup rather than in my towels.

Overall -- I would not stay here again (which is a shame for their income -- as I am going to be a frequent Kelowna traveler this year due to work). Outside of "D", the staff was very kind and friendly.

Room Tip: Get a room above the 100 level. 100 Level rooms are right by the parking (noisy in morning and night...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
TiffanyDGEC, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn West Kelowna, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
To Laura M,

First off, I want to apologize that quality of your stay did not meet your standards, nor does that meet our standards. Ensuring that our guests feel safe and comfortable during their stay is of the utmost importance to us at the hotel. Thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we can ensure this does not occur again. I am happy to hear that our staff were still able to help make part of your stay more enjoyable.

After receiving your review, I have brought your concern to the attention of our maintenance department and they have arranged for pest control to inspect and ensure this issue is taken care of properly so that it does not happen again. The security of our guests is important to us and I will be also using your review to remind the staff on how important it is to ensure make sure that information is verified before handing room keys out.

I do hope that you will give us another try. Please call me directly at 250-768-8879 the next time that you are in the area, so that I may personally help assist you to ensure your stay exceeds your expectations.

Destruction Bay, Canada
Reviewed 28 July 2014

For a Holiday Inn I was in shock. We stayed for 3 days in a suite the price was a lot around 270 per night. The room was not that clean dirty dishes in the dishwasher, dried on soap on the bathroom counters. but the worst part was the carpet walking on it turned my feet and sox black. We would have check out but due to the fire in West Kelowna we could not fide room anywhere.

I would not stay again unless they clean the place up.

2 Thank KluaneC
TiffanyDGEC, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn West Kelowna, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Thank you for your review KluaneC. Feedback we receive from our guests is very important to us and allows for us to improve on ways to try and exceed our guest’s expectations. I do apologize that your hotel room was not up to your standards. I have discussed with our Housekeeping and Maintenance department the expectations we have on the conditions of the room. I have also made sure that the carpets in the room have been properly shampooed to ensure that this does not happen to another guest.

I do hope that you will give us another try. If you do come to the area again, please contact me directly so that I can ensure that your stay exceeds your expectations.

Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My son and I stopped in without a reservation, in no time at all Tiffany had us in a beautiful room with a lovely view, comfortable beds and pillows, awesome air conditioning and wonderful access to the highway. We stopped by to look at the pool and exercise room and hope to use the facilities later as they look wonderful as well. I would definitely stay here again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
TiffanyDGEC, Guest Experience Champion at Holiday Inn West Kelowna, responded to this review, 10 August 2014
Thank you Rose K for your kind words and review! I am glad to hear that your son and you were able to enjoy the rest of your visit to the Okanagan and that we were able to accommodate for all your needs.

Thank you for choosing the Holiday inn West Kelowna and we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Tiffany D.
Comfort Suites Kelowna
#6 of 34 in Kelowna
Central City
Coast Capri Hotel Kelowna

Been to Holiday Inn West Kelowna? Share your experiences!